Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2006 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Atkinson Due to conflicting "expert" information from supliers and statutory examiners in our area, I am turning to the Forum membership in the hope that one of you has expert knowledge and a source of information for the following - Two of our external suppliers/examiners are arguing about the true and acceptable lifespan of certified safety harnesses, assuming that all timed inspections and statutory tests have been completed and recorded. Theory 1 - the lifespan, if in good working order and examined yearly, is only five years and the harness has to be disguarded past that date. Theory 2 - If the 5 year span has been exceeded, and the use of the harness in question is occasional, with yearly recorded passes of statutory examination in place, then the harness can be useable for 2 further years - 7 in total. The HSE have stated from an enquiry - keep to the manufacturer's data. The BSI cannot find any relevant information. I would certainly appreciate any help in establishing the correct lifespan, and any data that proves where the lifespan has been calculated and on what basis?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 June 2006 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tabs If it was me going up in the harness I would take the lower figure. You don't say what the manufacturer has said (I take it the supplier is not the manufacturer). I would take the manufacturer's advice above all others.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2006 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker This is only my opinion mind: I'd go with theory 2 just so long as there was no signs of deterioration. A harnees used once a year for 5 years is not much worst than a 5 day old one used every day Suitable storage is the name of the game here; Sunlight, damp, rodents (do moths eat nylon?) etc and it could be months old and no good.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 June 2006 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Atkinson The manufacturer is Arco, and their data states approximately five years lifespan. I am looking for any definitive ruling through British Standards etc that I can put forward to the two service providers. I don't want to go on common knowledge or hearsay, I need to have something that proves from a standard or equivalent in writing if the lifespan is admissable to extend to seven years. We have quite a few harnesses not in daily or weekly use, but in preparation for shutdown period work, so five weeks every year at most.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2006 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By The toecap I just got this:The following manufacturer's recommendations should be viewed as minimum guidance, ALL PRODUCTS should be regularly inspected by a competent person with items showing signs of excessive wear or material damage being removed from service immediately and destroyed. Pammenter & Petrie Ltd (Full Protection and Rescue products - webbing/rope) 5 years in use Product may be stored (as per storage guidance) for up to 2 years prior to first use in the original packaging, still then giving 5 years potential use. RidgeGear Ltd (Harnesses and lanyards) 5 years from date of first use. No harness should be used where the manufacture date is greater than 10 years. SALA (Harnesses, Lanyards and Full Arrest) 5 years from date of first use and or manufacture. No harness should be used where the manufacture date is greater than 5 years. Willens Ltd (Harnesses and Lanyards) 5 years from the date of first use and or manufacture. No harness should be used where the manufacture date is greater than 5 years. Miller Webbing Products - Bacou Dalloz (Webbing Products) Maximum 5 years working life from date of first use. Items must be taken out of service within 10 years of date of manufacture. Spanset (UK) Ltd All products should be destroyed after 5 years from date of manufacture. Even if never used. Tractel Ltd Product life = 1st use + 5 years. Shelf life up to 10 years in original packaging. For products that are left out doors for long periods should have life reduced by 1 year. Even if never used. I was looking on the same subject elsewhere.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2006 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By holmes1979 This is the best i could find 8.10.4 Typical Life Span Some equipment provided by manufacturers is given a recommended maximum life span under normal usage.spans for the equipment are: 10 years from the date of manufacture; or 5 years from the date of first use. When purchased as a kit, all equipment should be kept together in that kit for its lifetime. This will ensure that all parts of the system are completely compatible, will age at the same rate and, thus, can be replaced at the same time. Good quality control is to ensure that equipment that has reached this age is moved from site and destroyed. For the PPE used with cable and track systems, common life track systems are expected to last up to as long as the building fabric itself. This will depend on exposure to the elements. At all times, the manufacturers recommendations should be sought and followed. This is an extract from HSE 'A technical guide to the selection and use of fall prevention and arrest equiptment' http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr302.pdf I hope it of use. Cable and d
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2006 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By holmes1979 the toe cap got there first.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2006 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Atkinson Thanks to all for your research and answers -it looks like the five years lifespan whether in permanent use or not still stands from various manufacturers and other sources. I have also managed to talk to a couple of suppliers off record, and although they wouldn't put pen to paper, the advice is to err on the lower lifespan as a cautionary measure. Thanks again.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 June 2006 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charley Farley-Trelawney Glyn Being involved frequently with harness use here, I always look to see what frequency the harness has been used for, in what trade, etc and if I am of the opinion that a 3 week old well weathered harness has had more use in 3 weeks than most in 5 years then it is shredded and binned. I would as a previous response has indicated only consider the guidance a minimum requirement. For £65 or thereabouts to potentially help save a life against 5 years lifespan......No competition. CFT
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2006 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Willie Duncan Petzl quote the following advice for their products: 1 Exceptional circumstances may limit lifetime to a single use. 2 Certain environments considerably increase the deterioration and wear -salt,snow, ice, humidity, chemicals etc 3 For stitched slings lanyards and energy absorbers because of their direct contact with supporting structures, their average lifetime is 6 months of intensive use, 12 months of normal use, 10 years max for occasional use.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 28 June 2006 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Atkinson Just to clarify, The original question was put on because one of our service statutory testers passed a 6.5 year old harness and the other one failed the same harness just on age. Any harness showing signs of age or wear are routinely cut and removed from service. It was curiosity about standards between service companies that prompted me to want to know a definitive answer for my own personal good and knowledge bank. As I state elsewhere, this Forum is about learning something every day in a subject where you have no direct knowledge or proof of knowledge, so this was a worthwhile research exercise, and thanks to all who helped.