Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 05 January 2007 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MAK I apologise in advance if this is appears to be a frivolous question, but is there any reason why you cant use your original method, which the HSE had no problem with, and afix the smoke detectors to the top of the adjoining walls, which may or may not be as dirty or covered with a textured surface? I ask out of genuine interest as to whether there may be some existing research that shows they would be less effective on a high level wall rather than the ceiling? Thanks
Admin  
#42 Posted : 05 January 2007 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim Did anyone notice during last nights news bulletin re the bus crash when the reporter was standing in front of the camera talking about health and safety there was a guy on top of the bus, in full view of the camera, fixing a sheet to the top of the bus? I could not see any means of fall arrest and this guy could quite easily have slipped/tripped and fallen from the top. I wonder if any HSE Inspector will pick this one up and issue an I N on that guy?
Admin  
#43 Posted : 05 January 2007 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim Adrian, Paul and all, The bottom line is as follows: use of a step ladder is OK as long as the risk assessment produces a low risk; and short duration of use. I think I am right in saying that in this issue regarding fitting smoke detectors Paul has produced the necessary risk assessment with the right result. Probably a Low Risk? We are only required to write the significant findings of a risk assessment and I just wonder what the significant findings are in this case. Paul has lots of experience using ladders and fitting smoke detectors therefore his significant findings could be little or nothing, whearas somebody not as experienced as Paul may come up with lots of significant findings that lead to a higher residual risk. Could this ne the main problem here?
Admin  
#44 Posted : 05 January 2007 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By db Adrian, Well done finding the cut and paste button on your pc but you didnt really contribute to the debate by doing that. There is no specific guidance as to when we should or shouldn't use stepladders - that is the problem and arguably there never can be due to the wide range of uses. However, just because the risk assessment says it is low doesnt stop HSE from arguing that is isn't (or you arguing with HSE in a tribunal) What the inspector may have a problem with here (and we have not got the whole story so can only fo from what is written in the original post) is that the work has been assessed from the point of view of using the stepladder and not the work height activity itself. That is wrong. As Adrian helpfully pointed out, reg 6(3) says that : "Where work is carried out at height, every employer shall take suitable and sufficient measures to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any person falling a distance liable to cause personal injury." Ladders do not prevent people falling so any risk assessment that starts with an assessment of the work using a ladder is intrinsically wrong. However, that does not preclude a stepladder being used - if it is short duration and as I said earlier that is also open to debate if its going up and down a ladder all day for ten minutes in numerous locations. There is, as far as I'm aware, no case law which covers this point and until there is then HSE will continue to issue IN's. My point earlier still stands - there is better kit out there which does the same job better than the small three step - stepladder mentioned in the original thread. PUWER, WAH regs all contain duties to use the best bit of kit for the job.
Admin  
#45 Posted : 05 January 2007 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jon Vitta Afternoon all There are four main points here 1) Cost of implementing new equipment and retrospective fitting to the engines, not just in Humberside but potentially all UK fire brigades (cost versus risk) 2) the time spent fitting the detectors, which I believe to be very short duration 3) The time taken to erect alternative equipment in each household (might invite the householder to volunteer to do this themselves) 4) Removing the installation service altogether, higher risk by far, the worst case scenario being death I understand we have to protect those who are fitting the detectors, but in my mind this is low risk, and as Paul has rightly said dynamic risk assessments are done by the crews and where access is difficult by step ladders then alternative methods are used.
Admin  
#46 Posted : 05 January 2007 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jennifer mcgilvray Hi I'm posting on behalf of Rosalind Roberts Head of HSE's Public Services Sector - hope thats ok as she is not yet registered. I am Head of HSE's Public Services Sector and am replying to Paul's original posting of 2 January on behalf of HSE corporately, and the two HSE members of staff present at the meeting Paul mentions. A bit more on the wider context and what we are doing may be helpful. It was Humberside Fire and Rescue Service (FRS) that approached the local HSE office (in Sheffield) and asked to discuss the use of step ladders for fitting smoke alarms in domestic premises. A meeting was arranged with Humberside representatives privately, in advance of a regional Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) Safety Practitioners meeting. At that pre-meeting we were told that both Trade Union and Management side representatives in Humberside felt that the use of step ladders for this purpose was questionable, but that they had been unable to resolve the issues involved over a three year period. The HSE response was that we wouldn't want to see any health and safety concerns left unresolved for such a long period, and we suggested setting a time limit on reaching a conclusion (to add some urgency to resolving this outstanding issue) mentioning Improvement Notices as a possibility. Reference to a possible Improvement Notice arose in the context of the time that this issue had remained unresolved. It was suggested that if the issue couldn't be resolved by March 2007, then a Notice would be considered to promote resolution of the issue. However, any such Notice could not possibly be to ban the use of stepladders which is not HSE policy, and which we repeat over and over again. In discussing best practice, the issue of three points of contact was raised. Humberside were pleased with this discussion, and volunteered to report it to representatives of other Services in the main regional CFOA meeting that followed. The HSE inspectors had no objection to this happening and suggested that any good practice developed by Humberside could get wider publicity. As things stand now, Humberside FRS want to find out whether safer/better means of access for such work are available in the marketplace, and whether such equipment would prove practical for the range of domestic premises in which they fit smoke alarms. This seems to us to be a good thing to do, and we are very grateful to Humberside for offering to share the fruits of their research with other colleagues in other Services. Every FRS will be involved in fitting smoke alarms and there is no simple prescription which will cover all circumstances for both the task itself and how individual FRS choose to carry it out. Consequently, HSE would like to encourage discussion of this matter by national bodies to consider the issues and the range of approaches that provide compliance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005 while maintaining service to the public by the FRS and Public Safety. HSE is represented on the CFOA National Health and Safety Committee and has tabled this as an issue to be raised at the next meeting. Rosalind Roberts
Admin  
#47 Posted : 05 January 2007 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Salus thanks HSE for getting back,good show.
Admin  
#48 Posted : 05 January 2007 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Yes, thanks, Jennifer. It will be interesting to see what improvement(s) the improvement notice will require should the matter remain unresolved by March as this may have implications for other work activity - particularly within the Construction Industry. With regard to the earlier suggestion for wall-fixing, ceilings are usually the optimum position but walls may be OK provided that the detector position meets published recommendations (eg not close to the ceiling/wall junction). However, should a ladder still be needed to fix the detector at the appropriate height, the same problems will apply as for ceilings if two hands are needed to fix the detector. As regards proposals for add-on fall protection to the ladder, it would still be necessary to take account of the risk of injury from falling - and 'taking the ladder with you'. Edge protection to a platform is designed to keep the operative's feet on the platform and prevent slipping off it and this cannot really be achieved with a ladder. Unless the HSE are prepared to consider the use of a ladder in the way described by Humberside to be acceptable in the circumstances, it seems to me that the operation will need to be carried out either with one hand or by use of a platform with edge protection.
Admin  
#49 Posted : 05 January 2007 19:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim Yes it's good for the HSE to come onto this forum to put their side but the original thread still remains unanswered. Paul asked initially for our thoughts re his method and has received loads of ideas. HSE say they are not banning step ladders but, in practice still ask us to find other ways of working above ground, even for the short duration job. I wonder if someone can reopen this thread once HSE and the FRS have resolved the issue and make some sense of the whole work at height/stepladder situation.
Admin  
#50 Posted : 05 January 2007 19:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Stupendous Man !!! No offence but if you don't know the anwer to this then perhaps you ought to consult the HSE Guidance available on ladder work... The three points of contact would be for balance - two feet and a direct lean against the ladder, regardless of 'D' or 'U' if fitted is aceptable and regarded as safe... Stuart
Admin  
#51 Posted : 05 January 2007 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Granville Jenkins Hi The 'working at height regulations were changed primarily because a lot of serious accidents were occurring below what was previously known as the 2 metre rule and step ladders are a notorious contributing factor, what tends to happen is that an operator will go up the step ladder and when in approximately the right position will turn their body 90 degrees so that they are no longer facing the direction of the steps, when pressure is exerted for example when drilling a hole in a concrete ceiling an equal force exerted in the opposite direction and is transferred via the operators body to the step ladder. This may sound ok but then you need to realise that the feet of a step ladder only have a small surface area and the force that can be exerted over such small areas can be phenomenal, in some situations (for example where an operator is reaching out with the drill) a lever action may be created which causes the steps to wobble or topple and the person at the top of the step ladder is likely to fall backwards and the first thing to hit the ground (with some considerable force) will be the back of the head or if really unlucky the base of the skull, hence the dislike in the use of step ladders. There are a some large Principal Contractors who do not permit the use of any step ladders on any of their sites - full stop, no ifs, buts, or any other excuses! Instead of step ladders operatives have to use mobile lightweight aluminium towers to suit the work that they have to carry out - these towers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and include all the necessary guardrails etc. that would be expected with a full blown scaffold and there is bound to be one which will meet your requirements, also use of the lightweight towers eliminates all the risks that are associated with step ladders. There's really no competition, move forward, move away from the step ladders to a safe working platform. To give a mobile tower a try, I would suggest visiting your local HSS Hire Shop or go on-line to either www.HSS.com and order a free brochure or visit sgb's site www.sgb.co.uk and look for the miniboss low level access platform (which may meet your needs)! I have no personal interest in any of the aforementioned companies, and if you do a web search you may come up with a variety of companies who have similar products. Regards Granville
Admin  
#52 Posted : 06 January 2007 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By TBC Glad to see the HSE is responding to this frustrating situation. I do hope that they see sense and allow the Fire and Rescue services to get on with what is a difficult job at the best of times. TBC (Ex Humberside Fire Fighter with two sons now serving)
Admin  
#53 Posted : 06 January 2007 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Granville Jenkins Having had time to 'chew over' my earlier response, I feel that I should add the following comments: It is possible that the HSE's concerns stem from the likely number of installations that are to be carried out as this would increase the probability (likelihood)of an accident/ incident occuring. I would also have thought that having a person standing at the bottom of a pair of steps is an excessive waste of labour resource as over a period of time the cost of the additional labour is likely far outweigh the cost of any lightweight access platform/s. I would just like to take a few moments of your time by presenting a 'risk assessment' scenario for the proposed activities: Assuming people are familiar with risk assessments, I personally use a scoring system of 1 - 3 for both likelihood and severity this gives a risk level scoring matrix of low 1-2 (minor scratch - first aid), medium 3-4 (cuts requiring hospital treatment - 3 day reportable event), and high 6-9 (severe injury - death) regretfully most injuries from falls from step ladders can result in head injuries some of which may cause brain damage or death, even from what would seem to be such a harmless height - it all depends on how you fall and what you hit on the way down!) Using the present situation and the number of smoke detectors likely to be fitted and taking a worst case scenario for using a step ladder, I would score 2 for likelihood (due to the number of smoke detectors that are likely to be fitted it would be unrealistic to score 1 for likelihood)and score 3 for severity giving a risk level of 6, reducing the severity to 2 still gives a risk level of 4, whereas using a lightweight platform eliminates the hazard (falls from height) - risk level 0. I personally believe that one of the greatest causes of accidents is familiarity with the job - 'done the job a thousand times and never had an accident' that is until the fateful day arrives! Regards Granville
Admin  
#54 Posted : 06 January 2007 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim Being en ex fire officer and having had smoke alarms fitted at my home by fire brigade personnel I can inform you that they come as a crew of 4 or 5 therefore have plenty of firefighters available to steady the ladder. They are on call at the time so no waste of manpower or labour in fact it is a useful community service! I would suggest that having a second person available would considerably reduce the risk. Bulkier equipment can not be carried on the fire appliance as space is at a premium. This point has previously been mentioned. The lowest platform available, other than step ladder, appears to be almost 1 m from the floor. This is no good inside a normal dwelling house.
Admin  
#55 Posted : 06 January 2007 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Brazier My understanding of the main issue with ladder and step-ladder work is stretching/reaching causing item to topple. I can't see this being an issue when fitting a smoke detector as it will be possible to position step ladder directly below (or your would fit it in a position directly above the ladder). Therefore I would rate the likelihood of a fall as being low enough so that an alternative method seems unnecessary. I think the average man in the street will find it difficult to see why this practice is being questioned.
Admin  
#56 Posted : 06 January 2007 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim Andy, I agree with you but the problem is HSE Inspectors are not the "average man in the street".
Admin  
#57 Posted : 06 January 2007 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James M Let's start from the beginning. The Hierarchy of working at height means you start from the top and work your way down. i.e 1. Eliminate WAH 2. Collective Fall restraint 3. Individual fall restraint etc etc until you get to the bottom of the list and find ladders/ step ladders For short duration and low risk unrepetitive tasks (fitting fire detectors is repetitive) subject to risk assessment you can use ladders/step ladders. What a lot of people don't understand is that if you have an accident you have to explain (possibly to a judge) why you have bypassed the 1,2 3 etc and how you have justified using ladders over the others. If you can't explain (by means of risk assessment) get your cheque book out and pay the IP a large sum of money. The WAH regs have not banned ladders but they have made the selection of them in accordance with the hierarchy of WAH almost impossible. I hope this helps.
Admin  
#58 Posted : 06 January 2007 22:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pugwash There has been a lot of interest in this thread and the contribution from a senior level in the HSE is an interesting and welcome development for the forum. Two thoughts from me. First, the amount of debate and conflicting ideas from health and safety practitioners in the thread should send a strong message to the HSE that they have not got their message across as to what WAHR is expected to deliver. Instead seeds of confusion have been sown. Second, many will perhaps now think twice before approaching the HSE for advice if the results of asking the Executive for help with a problem can be a threat of enforcement action.
Admin  
#59 Posted : 06 January 2007 23:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete48 George Bernard Shaw said “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man”. This quote came to mind as I read this thread which contains overt criticism of the HSE and the WAH Regs or their interpretation. One area in which we clearly share a common desire and motivation with the HSE is to demand and achieve improvement in H&S, albeit for different masters. To achieve that means that we often have get the world to adapt to us (i.e. the law or standards we are promulgating) and we can, therefore, easily be perceived as “unreasonable”. I have read the response from the HSE three times now to make sure that I have understood their position (may I add my thanks to them for using the public forum to respond in this case, it was most helpful). It is very clear to me that they are responding (NB responding) in a very positive manner to the service involved and that there is no “threat” of enforcement notices but rather an offer to consider use. This is a really important point in this debate. Any extended time spent in resolving known issues, which may include gaining funding, is an enemy of good H&S. The real test of the WAH Regs was always going to be the use of steps and ladders on any task but especially those of short duration. Here we have the HSE working alongside an employer to explore solutions, surely to be applauded not criticised? I will await with interest the outcome of the discussion and hope that the FS or the HSE will make public any solutions found or lessons learned.
Admin  
#60 Posted : 07 January 2007 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pugwash Not sure that I agree with Pete’s reading that there is no threat of enforcement action. The HSE said: “It was suggested that if the issue couldn't be resolved by March 2007, then a Notice would be considered to promote resolution of the issue.” This is not an “offer to consider use” of a Notice, rather it is the HSE saying that if the problem is not resolved by March then, at the discretion of the HSE, a notice could be issued. To me this is threat with the purpose of concentrating minds on the problem. WAHR came into effect in April 2005. The launch of the Regulations was a relatively low key affair and, at the time, the HSE said: “those following good practice for work at height now should already be doing enough to comply with these Regulations”. The guidance which has been published subsequently has come out in a somewhat piecemeal ad-hoc manner, all suggesting that these Regulations should be regarded as no big deal – just one of those sets of legislation which we have to enact to square us up with the EU directives. However it now appears, to me anyway, that the HSE want to use to the Regulations to being about a step-change in arrangements for work at heights in the UK, and particularly for work with ladders and steps. They appear however to be unwilling to come out and say this. You could not get a much simpler task involving work at heights than putting up a smoke detector in domestic premises. I feel it is rather sad state of affairs that the HSE is not able to give clear guidance as to how they expect such a simple task to be carried out. The result is continuing confusion, both among health and safety practitioners and those who have to work at heights and it will be continuing fodder for those parts of the media who are hostile to the HSE. I agree with Pete that we “share a common desire and motivation with the HSE …. to demand and achieve improvement in H&S”. My personal view is that we do want a step change in arrangements for work at heights and I would support the HSE if it came out and said this. We should then have a clear strategy for delivering it. My suggestion? The HSE should produce an Approved Code of Practice in support of the Work at Height Regulations.
Admin  
#61 Posted : 07 January 2007 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram An excellent example of good use of this forum - both to ask for peer review of a risk assessment and the associated controls, and as an educational process for some Forum users less familiar with good practices, enforcement arrangements, etc. Also the input by HSE opened up new areas - the key issue for them (not unsurprisiningly) seems to have been the lack of agreement by parties within the FRS about some details of the work arrangements. This wasn't mentioned in the original posting, and is clearly important. My warm thanks to all contributors, may we see many more such threads in 2007. So, here's another new thought. From what has been described, I'm pretty convinced the risks during installation are minimal. But what about the WAH risk to those in the property when the battery needs replacement in due course? Those doing the work are likely to be much less competent at working from a stepladder or stool, alone, etc? And in my experience, it's not much help to say "get someone competent", as the low battery alarm typically starts in an evening, or when I'm in bed,trying to sleep! To what extent is that risk also considered when providing the initial free installation by FRS?
Admin  
#62 Posted : 07 January 2007 13:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Catman Hi Again Don't want to be contentious or overly negative here, just realistic. To those of you stating just get a podium etc and pay the money. Could you recommend a specific platform that can be set at the appropriate height, is not too light duty and does not create additional risk being carried around a house? Products like minimax and roommate are not realistic here (although they are great in other situations) as they are too heavy and set at the wrong height. There honestly is not a lot suitable for this job out there. The risks and problems brought by the replacement always seem to be disproportionate to the risk involved, unless the ceiling is unusually high. At one point we even had one manufactured to try out which turned out to have stability problems due to the guardrail assembly raising the centre of gravity. Any manufacturers listening? TW
Admin  
#63 Posted : 07 January 2007 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Granville Jenkins Further to my earlier response, I have done some searching on the Internet and have come across a manufacturer who have various lightweight access platforms. In relation to the present discussion the best example I have found is the 'Alphastep 250' which is a podium type platform with the advantage of having a work platform that can be positioned at 4 varying heights with a maximum platform height of 1 metre. For further information please visit: wwww.turner-access.co.uk/towershome.htm and click on 'low level access'. Regards Granville
Admin  
#64 Posted : 07 January 2007 20:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Brazier Granville I am not sure it was your intention, but I think you have clearly demonstrated that a step-ladder is entirely adequate for this job in most circumstances. The platform that you claim to be the 'best example' is totally over the top for this job, and so allowing me to conclude that there is no reasonably practicable option to the step-ladder. Also, I feel it necessary to point out some misgivings I have with your earlier risk assessment. 1. You seem to have taken a likelihood rating for all types of accident and combined it with a worst case scenario rating for consequence. This is not correct. You need to consider the likelihood for different severity consequences, rate the individual risk ratings and then consider what this tells you. 2. You seem to be of the opinion that because people fall off step-ladder frequently they will fall off frequently doing this task. I don't believe this is the case because to put up a smoke-detector there is no need to stretch or lean (which can cause them topple) and because it is a quick light weight job. In other words, I am sure many of the accidents with step-ladder occur because people stretch/lean or do heavy long duration work such as painting and decorating. 3. I can't see how using a platform eliminates the risk. At the very least you need to climb onto the platform. I accept the likelihood of falling may be reduced, but I believe it would introduce additional risks. Sorry for being critical, but these are (in my opinion) quite elemental errors in your approach. Overall I am pretty sure this job has been done many thousands (maybe even millions) of times by FRS up and down the country. We should have more than enough data to tell us what the risk really is.
Admin  
#65 Posted : 07 January 2007 22:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Brunskill I welcome the HSE response in the public forums and would like to thank them for their contribution. This really does highlight the potential for these forums even when the thread is critical of an organisation. However I am interested as to why an opinion could not be proffered at the meeting in question. The debate has gone on long enough between employer and trades union. HSE suggest the use of a Notice to bring this to a head. To my mind the notice can only be issued where there has been a breach, the HSE must therefore be of the opinion that a breach has occurred and it follows that they are positioned to make a decision. Unless of course, they are not sure either!
Admin  
#66 Posted : 08 January 2007 01:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough As Andy Brazier has suggested earlier, there will have been countless smoke detectors put in UK dwellings, some by firefighters under the scheme involved in this thread. Many others will have been put up by householders themselves, including readers of this forum and who probably have stepladders at home for carrying out all manner of tasks. Over this past weekend I tried out my 5 step stepladder to reach the smoke detector I fitted to my hallway ceiling some years ago. The ceiling is 8'6"/259cm high. I guess that most domestic ceiling are les than 10'/305cm high. Without stretching I could reach my detector quite comfortably and with ample stability by standing on the 2nd step (23"/59cm high) and resting my legs and knees at a slight angle against the 3rd and 4th steps. If I were short of stature or needed extra height I could do the same by standing on the 3rd step and using the 4th and 5th steps to brace my legs and knees. Have the members of the FRS forum/s who are discussing the subject of this thread tried doing the same with a stepladder to get a realistic perspective about using stepladders? If one person using a stepladder in good condition to reach a normal domestic ceiling has reasonable stability, I cannot understand why a second person is needed to help steady the stepladder. However, a second person could make the job quicker, easier and safer for the ladder user by passing up the new detector, etc. and receiving tools after use. It has transpired that the subject of this thread began because of concern expressed by some firefighters and managers about the suitability of stepladders as the means of access for fitting domestic smoke detectors. Hopefully the relevant FRS forum/s will have or be getting information as to how many firefighters and managers have expressed concern, and for what reasons. Also, have there been any significant accidents involving firefighters while fitting detectors for Humberside FRS and other FRSs? These are the sort of questions which forum readers would probably pose if they, like myself, have never worked for a FRS. Another thought, and one which is likely to be controversial but needs airing. Looking outside the field of health and safety, is it possible that this topic has arisen because a few firefighters are not keen on fitting smoke detectors in domestic dwellings? If so, might they be using "health and safety" as a means of reducing their involvement with such work or getting it done by others? Think about it. Compared with fighting fires and dealing with other emergencies, fitting detectors is routine and mundane work, even though any measures to get detectors fitted in dwellings is very worthwhile. After all, most fire-related deaths in the UK occur at home, not at workplaces. Before anyone responds to accuse me of denigrating firefighters, I should stress that this is not my intention. However, in order for readers of this forum to assess the possibility that this thread might have more to do with employee/management relations than safety, please can anyone from a FRS tell us the following: 1) How how long has their FRS had a scheme for firefighters to fit detectors in dwellings? 2) Who initiated such a scheme - i.e. did the idea come from firefighters or from management? 3) Is the scheme obligatory or optional for firefighters? 4) What activities for on-duty firefighters have been reduced or replaced by detector fitting schemes? 5) How much time on a day shift is spent by firefighters fitting detectors if they are not called to attend any emergencies? As mooted earlier in this response, getting and analysing information about accidents, if any, involving firefighters fitting detectors is vital. Some perspective about stepladders may be gleaned from another common activity, namely the replacing of light bulbs and fluorescent tubes by caretakers in school classrooms. I've dealt with local authority schools for over 20 years and in that time cannot recall receiving reports of accidents involving such work, even though it is a regular and common activity and some of the caretakers involved are not as fit or agile as firefighters. Perhaps my employer and its caretakers have been lucky, or a few accidents resulting in minor injury have not been reported. Even so, the apparent absence of accidents seems to suggest that my employer's schools and their caretakers have long understood and followed simple and basic guidance about the use of stepladders.
Admin  
#67 Posted : 08 January 2007 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I wonder whether the HSE will take the same view with regard to fixing a detector whilst standing on the first or second step of a flight of domestic stairs? You can see why some of us with construction industry experience asked for the retention of a maximum height below which the WAH Regs would not apply. I've just taken down the Christmas decorations using a short (but wide) step-stool with no edge protection - and it's fine for changing detector batteries at home too.
Admin  
#68 Posted : 08 January 2007 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Most people at home (and some safety people!) just stand on the nearest chair... Alan
Admin  
#69 Posted : 08 January 2007 12:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tabs I am confused as to when the HSE became an arbitration service. I have serious doubts that an Improvement Notice could quote the WAH regs for resolution of this, nor requirements to consult - I think from the information provided that both have been complied with. The final decision clearly rests with management to provide a safe system which - given the level of competence of the people involved in the task - they appear to have done. The HSE message implies that they would use enforcement options to resolve a dispute just because they dislike a dispute existing. I would expect the HSE to serve an Improvement Notice today if they feel the specific use of a step ladder for this activity is unsafe. As a qualified engineer, I would also suggest that a step ladder manufacturer should be able to come up with a collapsible frame with steps only half-way up allowing the user to be braced by the now 'empty' top half of the frame (with apologies if this is already suggested above - not read each and every reply due to time restraints).
Admin  
#70 Posted : 08 January 2007 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Granville Jenkins Contrary to Andy Braziers comments I have endeavoured to show that step-ladders are the least favoured method for access, especially in the relation to the FRS's situation. Steps (subject to risk assessment) may be ok for occasional use, but where this is a highly repetitive task, as I assume it is with the FRS then steps are not the answer - the risk assessment scenario that I provided earlier was a worst case scenario simply because of the number of smoke detectors that the FRS are likely to be fitting increases the probability factor and the likelihood cannot therefore be given a score of 1. Also, I have known people in the past who have fallen from relatively low heights, one died as a consequence of a blood clot and the other was permanently brain damaged. The problem is that some people do not appreciate how the body may react in a fall, I don't mean crumpling in a heap, rather the person falls backwards like a rod (in trying to regain their balance) and the body acts like a pivot and the head swings through an arch and hits the ground with considerable force. I guess James M comments about sum the situation up, get it wrong and you better get your personal cheque book and get out of jail card out; if the person specifying how the work is to be carried out gets it wrong its not only the employer who may find themselves in the dock! I assume that Ken Taylor is talking about the old 2 metre rule where the old WAH Regulations did not apply below 2metres, it is my opinion that this was a rule that was flouted by some (not all) contractors, and as a direct consequence the rules had to be changed (for the better in my opinion) the onus is now firmly where it deserves to be fair and squarely on the shoulders of the employer and/or his duly appointed agent. Finally, I would just like to say that it is my honest opinion that the podium steps are the best solution, they are relatively cheap, easy to handle (generally weigh around 25-28kg and can be handled by one person and the ones advertised by turner-access.co.uk have four working heights (between 250mm and 1metre)- what more could anyone ask for! Regards Granville
Admin  
#71 Posted : 08 January 2007 23:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Brunskill Granville, With respect, is it not more risky to have to man handle almost 60lbs of unwieldy assembly up and down stairs all day? After all about 35% (+/- 5%) of accidents are manual handling related. I suspect that the ladders in use are designed for use in fire fighting and are utilised for this task. Provision of your solution is extra "kit" and expense. As discussed earlier space on an appliance is at a premium. Those operating Brigades that use designated personnel often equip them with a cheap mode of transport for their routine duties which is then used to accommodate this aspect of the job. We might not be just talking the access kit here but vehicle modification or replacement. If I was the head honcho making those kind of decisions then the likelihood is I am going to opt to keep the money in the purse for more deserving causes and let Jo Public fend for him/herself. OK just off to tell that engineer to get of the climbing frame he is inspecting. Does he not realise its not designed to be climbed on at work. Has the world gone mad?
Admin  
#72 Posted : 09 January 2007 00:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor OK, the '2m rule' was misused (as are the current Regs) and there was a case for reducing this height but we now have the situation that 100mm (4 inches) or even less is now working at height and the hierarchy of controls has to be addressed if there is a significant risk of fall injury therefrom. Serving notices regarding trained and able-bodied firefighters standing a few rungs up on a stepladder from time to time to fix a small light plastic item that will save lives seems a strange move in the light of known significant fall injuries in other employment at far greater heights. From my experience of construction and demolition sites, there's a lot more important and relevant work to be done than this.
Admin  
#73 Posted : 09 January 2007 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Max Bancroft If an accident happens and things go to court then the words most often used are that there wasn't a "suitable and sufficient" risk assessment. So the HSE should be in a position now to determine whether the assessment used by the FRS is "suitable and sufficient". If they think it isn't they can issue their improvement notice now and if the FRS disagree they can appeal to a tribunal. At this point the FRS employees who seem to disagree with the FRS (?acting on the advice, presumably, of a Chartered Health and Safety Practitioner?) can make their case and thereafter there is a system of appeals. It is unfair to expect the HSE to arbitrate in what sounds like an industrial relations dispute. Their job is make the decision that H&S Law is being broken or not.
Admin  
#74 Posted : 09 January 2007 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Catman Tabs Google for jumbo safety step, I think they beat you to it. Cheers TW
Admin  
#75 Posted : 09 January 2007 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tabs Yes, that is almost as I had it in my mind's eye, thank you. Further, their bumf reads "The Little Jumbo is currently used by a wide spectrum of customers including fire brigades..." Hmmm. Looking at the photo's, any firefighter unable to happily wield these all day should probably retire anyway :-) I guess the only question is whether hip contact to the upper bar constitutes the third point of contact being looked for...
Admin  
#76 Posted : 10 January 2007 03:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Granville Jenkins Hi Had a look at the 'little jumbo' - Not Impressed, well not quite that bad, the safety rail at the top is of use, but the little jumbo is still a 'step-ladder' and in my opinion is not a touch on the 'alphastep 250. In a much wider context, the same considerations that have been discussed would equally apply to Contractors who use step-ladders on a frequent basis - food for thought!! Regards Granville
Admin  
#77 Posted : 10 January 2007 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Has anyone seen the picture on the front cover of the current RoSPA Occupational Safety and Health Journal? Is it real? Step ladder around 16 treads, no support of steps by work colleague, but three point contact maintained using knees... Job being done - using electric hedge trimmer. 'nuff said! Alan
Admin  
#78 Posted : 10 January 2007 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim I was in one of the larger stationery stores yesterday and noticed a member of staff working on a set of "Airline" steps. You know the type that are quite high with a safety rail all the way up to the top and a safety rail at the top front? This guy was operating half way up, feet approx 1 m from floor, and twisting sideways with nothing to prevent him falling backwards down the steps. It just goes to show that no matter what is provided it still gets abused and safe working practices are not followed, also workers are not supervised and forced to follow correct procedures.
Admin  
#79 Posted : 10 January 2007 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chas Whilst trawling through the safetyshop website I came across their foldable working platform that may fulfil the requirements of the WAH regs for low level/low risk work. See link below. (PS I have no business links with safetyshop and only wish to highlight that there are products out there that may fit the bill). http://www.safetyshop.co...il.asp?productcode=PTB10
Admin  
#80 Posted : 10 January 2007 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tabs Yes, I had seen that - but given the ceiling height of a modern house, I think it would be too high to stand up on. Kneeling is not good ;-)