Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2007 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul
Hi all, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

The HSE has informed us, (a Fire and Rescue Service) that they will serve an improvement notice on us if we do not come up with an alternative system of work for fixing smoke detectors in domestic properties!

We have been fixing detectors using a sticky pads and no nails system using a pole and plate device to locate the detector alleviating the need to work at height. This system has proved ineffective recently, especially on textured ceilings and ones which are less than clean. This risk using this method is too high i.e. a detector falls from the ceiling and the property has a fire, causing a major concern and is unacceptable.

A new system was devised in which the Service proposed to use a three step, step ladder conforming to BS EN 131. The ladders chosen are extremely sturdy with a D bar to prevent falling over the top. The detector would be screwed into the ceiling. Part of the safe system of work involved a fire fighter bracing the step ladder and the fire fighter fixing the detector. As you can imagine this is not seen as a high risk activity for fire fighters who are trained in using ladders. The risk assessment comes out as low, taking into account the frequency and duration of this activity and also carrying out a dynamic risk assessment prior to starting work. This activity is carried out in domestic homes only. The HSE have stated that if three points of contact can not be maintained then a working platform is required!

The Fire Service offers free home fire risk assessments to the public and will fit free smoke detectors if it is deemed necessary. This is all carried out by operational crews as part of their routine daily/evening activities. So because the equipment has to be stored on the fire appliance along with all the rest of the equipment, space is at a premium. I understand that this is not a reason to compromise safety but is a consideration and it would prove impossible to store a working platform on a fire appliance.

So, the question is, are the HSE going over the top in their improvement notice for an activity that is in our opinion controlled to an acceptable level or should we withdraw from fitting free smoke alarms for the public because we can not get a working platform on a fire appliance? Is it me or is this an example of Health and Safety gone mad???

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2007 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
As long as they leave 3 steps clear then 3 points of contact, two feet and two knees and this is acceptable I believe as the HSE have said do in their free leaflets!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2007 12:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By I McDonald
Hi Paul

tough question as it is another area were enforcement seems to differ from Inspector to Inspector. Suggest to check out this link (if you have not already)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg402.pdf

Take a good, long and hard look at figure 2b. Looks very similar to the activity you are describing only there is no second person supporting the steps. HSE seem to be making a lot of noise to identify that steps and ladders are not banned however; during enforcement visits they are portraying a different picture.

You could try to talk in more detail to the Inspector regarding the obvious problems with the physical features of the different structures you will visit. Alternatively, you could even appeal against the notice if issued (good luck on that one).

My own experience in dealing with Inspectors on this issue is the risk assessment is the key. Providing the assessment is suitable and sufficient and you can clearly demonstrate why alternative equipment (podium towers, etc) can not be used, this has proven sufficient (note that the RA always identifies a higher level of supervision).

Sorry cant give a definitive answer but as said earlier, seems to be inconsistent enforcement.

Ian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2007 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Bannister
Hi Paul, at first sight I felt this was a Friday spoof. However on looking at your email address I decided that it is a genuine enquiry.

Perhaps the HSE were having their little joke?

If, as you say, your risk assessment has concluded that the exposure is low, the personnel are trained in the use of the ladders, which are subject to appropriate maintenance, it is a 2-man job, then you should be seeking additional clarification from HSE.

What is the experience of your firefighters in adopting this system? Have there been any incidents of falls?

My mother has benefited from another Fire Service's activities in this area. The falling risk to the firefighters who put up her new detectors was much lower than it would have been to either her, to me or to a neighbour. You are providing a valuable public service, long may it continue.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2007 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Catman
Hi Paul

I searched for almost a year for a suitable bit of kit for the application you describe and came up with a three step platform which has a locking D rail which acts as the top half of the steps. Therefore the operatives simply cannot climb too high.

They have deep steps with rubber matting and are broad providing a stable base. They mimic the feel of a domestic staircase.

I suspect you may have found the same three step platform.

If you find a suitable alternative with a full handrail, please let me know as I was unsuccessful.

Cheers
TW

Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2007 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Scott Fisher
Paul,

On another note, do you know if the textured coatings contain asbestos before fixing the alarms?

Scott
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2007 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ITK CMIOSH
Appeal the notice if you feel your controls are robust enough.

Let the tribunal decide.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2007 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Parkinson
Paul

Do they state the reasons why they feel it does not conform to the Working at Height Regulations? I have done a joint presentation with a Principal HSE Inspector (in your area) who uses the rule of thumb if it takes more than 30 mins then you should look for an alternative.

Would suggest that you contact the HSE for further clarification as to what the issue is and work with them on a solution.

regards

Bill
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2007 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By TBC
If needed - Can you still climb up about 100 feet on the turntable ladders with a BA on your back? Can you still carry a rescued person down a ladder? Can you enter a burning building? Can you do 'anything' without the HSE on your back?

I would have thought given my recent experience of trying to draw the attention of the both the HSE and LA to some really dodgy activities on a building site - with no luck - 'Not Ours' was the response from both. That the HSE would have better things to do with their time.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2007 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul
Thanks for the responses so far,

I McDonald-we have spoken again to the inspector to try and reason with him but he is sticking to the principle of, you have to have three points of contact at all times.

David-as you can imagine, firefighters are trained to use ladders and undergo continual training as part of their role, so they have no issues in using a 3 step, step ladder, and to be honest they think this is a bit farcical. As do i

We have had no incidents of any falls and speaking to our regional counterparts who are twice the size in relation to personnel, they to have had no incidents. The costs of purchasing platforms is approx £30,000 of tax payers money and then we can't fit them on the fire appliances!!

Scott-we have a system that the HSE are happy with that does not expose fire fighters to asbestos, i did see this as more of an issue then the steps but we have that one covered.

ITK-I would love to appeal the notice but i doubt that the organisation would be brave enough to!

Bill- the reason is the 3 points of contact, the activity only takes approx 5 mins and we have additional control measures in place to counteract that. who was the principal inspector that you did the presentation with?

TBC- I totally agree with you, and can reassure you that we will continue to do all the things you mentioned but may struggle if you want a detector fitting!

I am afraid that another discussion with the inspector today was fruitless as he is just repeating, "3 points of contact = working platform with guide rails on all sides!"

Reasonably Practicable!!!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2007 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Bannister
Perhaps the Deputy Prime Minister needs to be alerted to this (apparently unreasonable) stance by the HSE in his own constituency. If the Daily Wail picks this up it will make some sub-editors day to dream up splash headlines along the lines of "HSE tells firefighters to stop using ladders"

I can't wait!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2007 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Make a formal representation to the HSE Inspector's manager with a copy of your risk assessment, asking for an opinion of the inspectors decision. Remember the inspector has to show a breach of the regulations for a Improvement Notice.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2007 18:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Paul,

Make a formal representation to the HSE Inspector's manager with a copy of your risk assessment, asking for a review of the inspectors decision.

Remember the inspector has to show a breach of the regulations for a Improvement Notice.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2007 19:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson Tech IOSH
Paul

He should visit my workplace where light tubes are changed at a height of 3.5m off step ladders and the employer has risk assessed this as acceptable.

Regards

Ian
Admin  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2007 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope
Paul

Send your email address to me I have something that will help.

clp@taunton83.freeserve.co.uk
Admin  
#16 Posted : 03 January 2007 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steven bentham
Paul

You may wish to get a copy of HSE 'Safe use of ladders and stepladders An Employers Guide' ISBB 0-7176 6105-9.

When an Improvement Notice is issued may I suggest you ask for the Appeals details and contact you lawyer.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 03 January 2007 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By I McDonald
Hi Paul

sorry you did not have any luck talking the Inspector round.

Totally agree with Dave B on the potential for further adverse publicity!!!

If I was in your position I would insist on a meeting with the Inspectors superior. The task will obviously be of short duration, carried out in premises with differing structural features and will not involve significant manual handling.

The link I sent earlier was to the "employers guide" which shows 2 pictures of tasks being conducted in the way you have explained. If HSE will not or have no intention of applying the detail in the document, why have they wasted our (taxpayers) money in producing it.

On a lighter note, have you considered attending their offices to review and discuss their fire risk assessment and controls?

Ian

P.S. If you attend a meeting the Principal Inspector, etc. make sure your RA is robust enough to cover all eventualities (i.e. pets running around premises, etc).
Admin  
#18 Posted : 03 January 2007 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Smith
Hi Paul,

I have worked as an H&S Adviser with a Fire and Rescue Service (and with a "Paul" in Fire safety so it could even be the same one). Having been out with a team looking at the way in which these detectors were put up in the past and from memory, it often takes less than two minutes to install the detector, (followed by a longer discussion with the occupier about fire safety and the detector). It might be worth challenging the inspector on the grounds of the impracticality of the suggested solution.

You have probably done a risk assessment that shows why the use of a step ladder for this task is reasonable. You may want to expand it to give reasons why, in this case at least, the use of working platform is generally unreasonable.

You would have to carry all the additional equipment into the house / flat.

The platform is likely to take up more room than a step-ladder and there may be restricted access in the recipient's living room.

The time taken to erect and dismantle the platform would be significantly longer than the time spent on it.

The additional time taken to set up and take down the platform would also result in less time available to actually go round installing the detectors in flats and houses in the area.

Added to the above are the facts that the fire and rescue service has a robust and documented system for the inspecting and maintaining its ladders and carries out regular training in how to use them in a safe manner.

There will be occasions when the ideal spot for the detector is not safely accessible by step-ladder. In such events, it may be necessary to return with a platform. Alternatively, a new accessible spot could be found.

Good luck.

Roj
Admin  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2007 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Rudge
Paul,
I'm surprised at the Inspector's attitude as in my experience the majority are sensible, pragmatic individuals. It may be that he feels his authority is being challenged, so suggest that in your discussions he is given chance to change his stance without losing face e.g by stressing the additional measures you already mention. I would counsel against going down formal routes such as going up the HSE management chain until you have to as that will only harden attitudes.

Brian
Admin  
#20 Posted : 03 January 2007 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By I McDonald
Hi Paul

agree with Brian that the majority are sensible, pragmatic individuals however; sometimes you have no alternative other than to challenge those that are not. You have tried reason without success so my opinion remains pass it up the line.

Ian
Admin  
#21 Posted : 03 January 2007 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye
slightly off the subject

why are the hse the enforcing authority

If this was some other individual company, would it not be the local authority whio are enforcing this

it would be woorth while seeking your local authority (Environmental health) view

John Battye
Admin  
#22 Posted : 03 January 2007 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger Smith
The HSE are the Enforcing Authority in this instance because the Fire and Rescue Service is in most cases, simply another department within the County Council. The Council's own EHOs cannot enforce H&S law against themselves, hence the HSE's involvement.

Roj
Admin  
#23 Posted : 03 January 2007 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kenneth Patrick
Just on the aside, safety is a local not a county council function. It also intrigues me as to circumstances in which the HSE were observing the activity in peoples homes.

Admin  
#24 Posted : 03 January 2007 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Parkinson
Paul

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the Inspector. It isn't a graduate inspector by any chance??

Would agree with Adrian in that you need to speak to the Principal Inspector to clarify what breach you are being challenged on.

Think you also have good grounds to argue on the grounds as to what would be reasonably practicable.

If you e-mail me direct will tell you the name of the Inspector who I did the working at height presentation with. Also have the HSE tool box talk presentation on use of ladders and step ladders if you are interested (as it does not talk about 3 points of contact etc as being the minimum requirement). I have also got the actual HSE presentation which was delivered.

Bill
Admin  
#25 Posted : 03 January 2007 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Red Ones
If the HSE Inspector is right (go with the idea for a minute) then surely you can risk assess the alternative, i.e. no room for an access tower on the vehicle, no room for a tower in most homes - no smoke detectors fitted - risk of personal injury to your client????? tada - HSE decide that death by fire is an acceptable risk!!

Daily Wail has field day.

Alternatively slightly alter your RA and represent to the Inspector underlining the level of training that the personnel have received, the updates they get, that a knee is an acceptable point of contact as per the HSE guide INDG 402. Present the accident record of the Service in this line of work and ask if he would like a Risk Assessment for a house that does not have a smoke detector.

You may have guessed this has peed me off. I think that the fitting of smoke detectors is a valuable service and helps not only underline the importance of them, but also helps maintain the Fire & Rescue Service in a positive light in a way that the Police struggle and HSE never manage. Surely it is the job of the HSE (and EHO) to push this sort of activity and not stifle it.
Admin  
#26 Posted : 03 January 2007 20:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
You simply need a higher set of steps, i.e. a 'step ladder' (as most domestic ceilings are likely to be just over 2.0m a 1.5m set of steps should do the job).

This will enable the three points of contact to be maintained, enable the job to be done and prevent an improvement notice being served.

I appreciate that you wish to reduce the risk of working at height, but I think given the task the risks involved are pretty low. in my experience most accidents involving ladders of this type actually occur when climbing off the ladders, so some timely 'tool-box talks' and demonstrations (not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs - but provide evidence for HSE of your intentions for a safe system of work...) should crack it...

Lets hope you are enabled to go on doing the excellent work in fire prevention...

Stuart
Admin  
#27 Posted : 04 January 2007 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stupendous Man
Stuart,

How can a longer ladder enable three points of contact to be made? Surely you need one hand to support the detector and one hand to screw the thing to the ceiling?

Or am I missing something?
Admin  
#28 Posted : 04 January 2007 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Salus
Paul, I would carry on as you are, you are the competent people in this scenario not the inspector.
Everyone, (including the head of IOSH) contributing to this thread should e mail the HSE's head office and complain, let them get their acts together why should professional people have to deal with this rubbish.

If it causes so much confusion amongst safety personnel what must legislation be doing to the people on site.
Admin  
#29 Posted : 04 January 2007 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris. R.
I was working in a local authority office when a member of the Humberside fire service came in with the forms which enabled members to have a free home fire inspection and detectors fitted if required. The response by the people present was amazing, everyone in the office requested a visit and even filled forms in for their aging parents.

This HSE inspector should now issue a statement explaining to all these people why he finds it acceptable to put them at risk over what can only be described in this case as a jobsworth decision

Has this inspector not read the HSC publication entitled "Get a Life" which "urged people in Yorkshire and the Humber to focus on real risks - those that cause real harm and suffering - and stop concentrating efforts on trivial risks and petty health and safety". Reference YH/344/06 dated 22 August 2006.

I must agree with everyone who totally disagrees with this decision. What chance do we have of convincing employers and workers of the importance of H&S when the so called "fonts of all knowledge" give us such bad press.

We must all hope that this new year will revive that almost extinct quality of 'Common Sense'.

Happy and safe new year to all

Chris
Admin  
#30 Posted : 04 January 2007 10:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood
so much for all the talk of sensible risk management from the HSE !

this really does fly in the face of what is reasonably practicable, obvious short duration work of a low risk nature.

if the HSE will not accept the findings of the risk assessment perhaps the HSE will now be willing to undertake ALL our risk assessments for us? (any comments?)

as someone else has already stated it maybe a "trainee" inspector whom is perhaps still a little inexperienced in the real world of work.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 04 January 2007 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul
I am afraid that it is a Principal Inspector, not a graduate!

Thank you all for your comments on this issue so far.
Admin  
#32 Posted : 04 January 2007 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Crim
I had dealings last year with a HSE Inspector who visited a construction site managed by one of my Clients. He issued an improvement notice on using step ladders for work at height involving electricians who were fitting a long run of new cables for lighting.

The final decision by the Inspector was for the site operatives to use a platform/tower or similar equipment when there was more than one fitting to be fixed but it was all right to use a step ladder where just one item was fitted.

The case in point is one smoke detector in one area of a home therefore a step ladder would be allowed, as per the guidance on work at height which shows an electrician working off a step ladder.

I do realise that every HSE Inspector has his/her own opinion and would like to see more consistency myself, especially in my area i.e. construction?

Admin  
#33 Posted : 04 January 2007 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CRT
I've been reading this thread with intrest. It appears you have two choices; as it is a principal HSE inspector serving the notice, he must feel that it is justified (you may think)consequently he will not be open to persuasion, you will either have to comply or to appeal. I know it seems a nonesense so hopefully a tribunal will agree SFARP. On the other hand, do these have to be fitted by firemen, could they not be fitted by other officers (community safety) who would use a vehicle that has no constraints on what may be carried on it, then you could purchase a more appropriate type of access equipment.

just a thought.

Colin

Admin  
#34 Posted : 04 January 2007 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Salus
Hi Colin, the duty of care (by somebody) would still be there,and the existing equipment is already the correct piece of kit.

you also would have the expense of purchasing the equipment with vehicles that could accommodate the equipment. Risks would also increase for storing the new equipment, loading & unloading it onto/from vehicles, added cost of expensive (hopefully not modular)training incurred to erect/dismantle, use of etc.

You would have thought the HSE know about balancing the cost against the risk, in this case "No"

Admin  
#35 Posted : 04 January 2007 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins
Some alarms will be fitted to ceilings on landings and in stairwells so the fall risk is greater in those circumstances.

Having said that, negotiating domestic stairways with an access platform could also introduce additional risks.

Good luck.

Alan
Admin  
#36 Posted : 04 January 2007 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough
Paul

It's worrying to learn that the inspector involved is a principal inspector. One is led to wonder if he has never ever used a stepladder?

Most tasks carried out using a stepladder require 2 free hands. If the stepladder is of sufficient height, the user's stability comes from 3 points of contact i.e. 2 feet on one step and knees against a higher step. Alternatively, use a stepladder with a hoop-like handrail of sufficient height to provide the third point of contact for the upper legs or waist.

Sadly the principal inspector doesn't seem to understand "sensible" risk assessment, and risks discrediting himself and also HSE. However, he is answerable to a more senior inspector. Therefore, as an initial measure, why not contact the relevant regional director about the matter. He or she may already be aware of it, perhaps through reading this publicly accessible discussion forum thread!

Another aspect which springs from this thread is that some practitioners and organisations are reluctant to challenge HSE, etc. HSE is not onmipotent: It operates through inspectors who are human beings with foibles and strengths, just like everybody else in this world. Most inspectors are pragmatic and presumably try to enforce sensible requirements. However, if any of us are faced with inspectors like the one involved in this case, we should be professional and politely challenge their opinions. If informal measures do not work, then do it formally and appeal against their notices. Surely the existence of an appeal system reflects the fact that sometimes inspectors make mistakes or stray from "reasonable practicability". If an appeal against an enforcement notice is heard by a tribunal, surely it then enters the "public arena" and is open to media reporting. Therefore, inspectors will tend to want to be certain of their ground before proceeding to a tribunal.

Informal measures can work: For example, some years ago I dealt with the case of a fire officer who wanted my employer, a local authority, to install fire alarm systems in the common passageways and stairways of a scheme of self-contained flats for elderly people. As effective fire safety for the tenants was already provided by other measures, the officer's requirements were inappropriate. Another relevant factor was that no other fire officer had asked for similar work in other similar premises. Therefore, an approach was made to a senior fire officer. The outcome was that the requirement was dropped, although we did not receive (and did not expect) any written retraction. My employer was saved the effort and expense (about £300k) of installing an unnecessary system.

This thread also demonstrates a tangible benefit of IOSH in that practitioners, whether new or experienced, can seek second opinions from a range of fellow practitioners. However, as Paul has rightly done, do avoid naming individual inspectors or organisations. Alternatively or in addition, if any IOSH member is faced with what appears to be a daft requirement by an enforcement body, or more accurately one of its inspectors or officers, consider seeking advice from others at IOSH branch meetings or through related groups?

Hope these thoughts help with this case, and also for others faced with daft requirements from enforcing bodies in future.
Admin  
#37 Posted : 04 January 2007 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By db
A very interesting debate. However, put yourself in the inspectors position. (I have no feelings either way whether its right or wrong by the way)

As a principal inspector, he will be sifting through hundreds of accidents involving ladders and stepladders a week - causing a wide ramge of serious and not so serious injuries that cause people to have time off work and costs the business and the country a lot of money. No training can prevent someone falling off so just because the firemen do superhuman feats every day doesnt mean to say they are invulnerable. HSE will not invesigate 99% of these.

From reading the original posting it seems the inspector may have a problem with the three-step ladder which as some have pointed out, does not provide support. This is entirely consistent with HSE's guidelines - any stepladder should be used so that the persons navel is in line with the top of the ladder.

The IN seems to have been issued within the scope of the wah regs - which says that work at height should be planned - ladders do not prevent or mitigate and so are not on the hierarchy. Just because you have a risk assessment doesnt mean to say that its a good one or one that complies with the law. Ladders should be used for one off short duration work - the message about electricians using steps illustrates that although a job up a ladder may take ten minutes, if you do that for eight hours a day then its no longer a ten minute job.

That is not to say the work above is not short duration and may be perfectly suited to work with a ladder. However, there are bits of kit out there which are no bigger than a stepladder and there really is no excuse for not using them. The excuse that they are too big or heavy just can not hold any more. Just take a look on the net. You dont even need to go for a podium - there are even better stepladders with bigger platforms/handholds and protection around four sides.

The IN can only say that you need to plan the work w.r.t. reg 4, 6 and 7 (off the top of my head) so this does not preclude you from using a stepladder - just a better one than the one you mention.

As for people saying that HSE is inconsistent - not every job can be assessed in the same way - which is why we all have to risk assess each job.

As for calls from many professionals here that this is Daily wail territory, sorry guys, its the law. What we should be telling people as professionals, even for the short duration job where, lets face it the risk is still high - is that hey - there's some really good kit on the market that just maybe will stop you being off work for three weeks. It makes sense to buy it instead of buying the same bit of kit we always buy.
Admin  
#38 Posted : 04 January 2007 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
This must be an issue across much of the fire service, Paul, and not just Humberside. Have you discussed this with staff of other brigades (eg on the FireNet Forum)? Perhaps an opinion could be made 'from the top' (eg CFoA)?

How about retaining 3 points of lader contact by: sticking a template to the ceiling with one hand; drilling the two holes through the template with one hand; removing the template with one hand; pushing in the fixings with one hand; temporarily sticking the detector to the ceiling in line with the holes by using double-sided sticky pads with one hand; and screwing in the screws by using a magnetic head screw driver with one hand?

Incidentally, have you seen the way they are still installing TV dishes on chimney stacks, changing lamps in ceiling-mounted luminaires, removing and replacing fluorescent diffuser/covers and the like?
Admin  
#39 Posted : 05 January 2007 07:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear db,

With great respect, it is not the law it is the interpretation of the law!

These regulations require that an employer:

"Regulation 6. — (1) In identifying the measures required by this regulation, every employer shall take account of a risk assessment under regulation 3 of the Management Regulations.

(2) Every employer shall ensure that work is not carried out at height where it is reasonably practicable to carry out the work safely otherwise than at height.

(3) Where work is carried out at height, every employer shall take suitable and sufficient measures to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any person falling a distance liable to cause personal injury.

(4) The measures required by paragraph (3) shall include—

(a)his ensuring that the work is carried out—

(i)from an existing place of work; or

(ii)(in the case of obtaining access or egress) using an existing means,
which complies with Schedule 1, where it is reasonably practicable to carry it out safely and under appropriate ergonomic conditions; and

(b)where it is not reasonably practicable for the work to be carried out in accordance with sub-paragraph (a), his providing sufficient work equipment for preventing, so far as is reasonably practicable, a fall occurring.

(5) Where the measures taken under paragraph

(4) do not eliminate the risk of a fall occurring, every employer shall—

(a)so far as is reasonably practicable, provide sufficient work equipment to minimise—

(i)the distance and consequences; or

(ii)where it is not reasonably practicable to minimise the distance, the consequences,
of a fall; and

(b)without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (3), provide such additional training and instruction or take other additional suitable and sufficient measures to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, any person falling a distance liable to cause personal injury."

and

Regulation 8-(e). "Every employer shall ensure that, in the case of ... a ladder, Schedule 6 is complied with."

SCHEDULE 6

Regulation 8(e)

REQUIREMENTS FOR LADDERS

1. Every employer shall ensure that a ladder is used for work at height only if a risk assessment under regulation 3 of the Management Regulations has demonstrated that the use of more suitable work equipment is not justified because of the low risk and—

(a)the short duration of use; or

(b)existing features on site which he cannot alter.

2. Any surface upon which a ladder rests shall be stable, firm, of sufficient strength and of suitable composition safely to support the ladder so that its rungs or steps remain horizontal, and any loading intended to be placed on it.

3. A ladder shall be so positioned as to ensure its stability during use.

4. A suspended ladder shall be attached in a secure manner and so that, with the exception of a flexible ladder, it cannot be displaced and swinging is prevented.

5. A portable ladder shall be prevented from slipping during use by—

(a)securing the stiles at or near their upper or lower ends;

(b)an effective anti-slip or other effective stability device; or

(c)any other arrangement of equivalent effectiveness.

6. A ladder used for access shall be long enough to protrude sufficiently above the place of landing to which it provides access, unless other measures have been taken to ensure a firm handhold.

7. No interlocking or extension ladder shall be used unless its sections are prevented from moving relative to each other while in use.

8. A mobile ladder shall be prevented from moving before it is stepped on.

9. Where a ladder or run of ladders rises a vertical distance of 9 metres or more above its base, there shall, where reasonably practicable, be provided at suitable intervals sufficient safe landing areas or rest platforms.

10. Every ladder shall be used in such a way that—

(a)a secure handhold and secure support are always available to the user; and

(b)the user can maintain a safe handhold when carrying a load unless, in the case of a step ladder, the maintenance of a handhold is not practicable when a load is carried, and a risk assessment under regulation 3 of the Management Regulations has demonstrated that the use of a stepladder is justified because of—

(i)the low risk; and

(ii)the short duration of use.

Regards Adrian

Admin  
#40 Posted : 05 January 2007 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Glyn Atkinson
Hopefully without compromising the safety set-up of any stepladders used, but worth a thought with not too much adjustments to be made to the ladders in use -

Fit a safety chain mechanism to the top end of the stepladder, like the chains fixed to vertical ladders on industrial sites, but with non slip bolt and washer fixings, so that any faulty equipment could be easily serviced or replaced upon regular inspection regime.

The bolts could be the same style as seat belt anchor bolts which spread the fixing strain through the holes via large flat washers.

This chain could then be fixed round the user, at a suitable height above waistline but below shoulder height, according to individual's body length, clipped to a second fixing with a karabiner at the end of the chain for the duration of the work.

It's the equivalent of the telephone pole belt around the post for linesmen to ease the strain on legs at height !

The third point of contact is now being achieved in safe circumstances, and will also prevent the user from leaning too far backwards, hence losing balance at height !

- 3 point contact including user's back.

Incorporate visual checks for fixings prior to any use - bolts tight, no slippage on karabiner, train personnel in use and how to inspect, no changes to stepladders in use, no space wasted on fire appliance, everyone safe and happy, including the HSE Principal Inspector - hopefully !!

This could also be adapted for tall ladders in hallways etc.

I have a similar system at home for those lovely decorating jobs, wallpapering or painting, along with a fixing for a tray to hold tools and equipment like tins of paint or rollers.

(Well, you've got to keep the wife safe, haven't you ???)

(She doesn't read this forum, so fairly safe there !! Don't tell her , will you ??)