Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2008 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mitch Is the wearing of Hi-Vis jackets/vests a legal requirement on construction sites? Or to put it another way can contractors be stopped from wearing them in preference to corporate clothing? Thanking you in anticipation, Regards Mitch
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2008 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Merchant Nothing about high-vis in law, but it's the usual PUWER and MHSW risk-assessment system. A few job-specific cases such as working on public highways, banksmen etc. exist but there's no reason someone plastering a corridor should be wearing a high-vis jacket, unless they're filming The Shining. [bonus points for the obscure tricycle joke]
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2008 11:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mitch Thanks Dave, That confirms my initial opinion but I thought I had better check with m'lurnned friends being a welder and not a bricky! Mitch
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2008 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Mitch Learned and bricky coming together you definitely are joking now:-) Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2008 22:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Ransley Hi,It's my understanding that site rules say hi-vis clothing be worn,but if doing hot works i would argue that they should be removed whilst welding/burning/grinding because they are flammable, negating the effects of wearing proban overalls.Companies do not usually supply overalls that have hi-vis incorporated.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2008 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By patrick carr Hi Most of the construction companies i know of, make the wearing of Hi-Vis compulsory, and have it included in their H & S policies. However our policy is,that if you are working inside a house/building, you can remove your Hi-Vis,but there are numerous occasions where they forget to put them back on when back on-site. years ago, i was approached by a contracts manager, who wanted information from my union, on how we could combat the risks of skin cancer, one of my proposals was the wearing of Hi-Vis waistcoats at all times.Then we had the issue of the yellow Hi-Vis, attracting, corn flies in the summer months, so we switched to orange. (sorry rambling on).
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2008 06:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dav Although there is no legal requirement to wear the high vis you may find it easier to manage by insisting it be worn. Unfortunately it is my experience that if things like vests are relaxed in some areas then people will forget (intentionally or otherwise) to wear them in other places where they are needed. By insisting they are worn everywhere(the hot works issue aside) you are likely to have less of a management headache in the long run.