Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By paulcrossland
I’m looking to persuade my board to pay an annual “thank you” to staff who volunteer to be first aiders and fire wardens. I’ve experienced this in the past, but not recently. Has anyone out there experience of this, and the rates that are currently being offered? Any info would be much appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Futcher
We pay First Aiders (£30 per month).

We have an emergency response squad (not firemen!) and they are paid £4 per week (don't ask why one is monthly and the other is weekly!); squad leaders with more responsibility are paid a bit more.

With this structure, our "wardens" basically just take the roll call, so they don't get paid.

Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Futcher
oops - wrong way round!!

£30pm for Emergency Squad; £4pw for First Aiders

Sorry

Ian
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sen Sar
Hi Paul

£5 a week for first aiders, paid where my son works
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rich T
We pay first aiders £200 per year, as a single annual payment.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A Campbell
We have a system via payroll that pays individuals £50.00 per quarter for either role.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mulhaney
I work for a Local Authority.

First Aiders are paid £8.50 per month, the Fire Warden role is assimilated as part of Managerial duties therefore no extra.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By DM23
We do not get paid any extra for First Aiders or Fire Wardens!!! Incidentally, I am both!

D
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2008 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Futcher
Sorry about that DM23

This topic potentially raises a related issue (without wishing to highjack the thread): are Safety Reps paid by anyone for the role?

Should I start a new thread?

Think I will... post no answers to this here

Ian
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 October 2008 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Just think the annual thanks for both fire and F/A have dropped way back. In the 70's I received £350 tax paid per annum. By my reckoning inflation should have taken that close to £2k tax paid today. Now what was this about improved H&S attitudes among employers. Still I suppose I was in the chemical industry who were known to be world leaders!

Bob
Admin  
#11 Posted : 01 October 2008 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Iain Watt
Local Government used to have varying agreed rates for first aiders depending upon white or blue collar (clear discrimination).

The old 'purple book' for APT&C staff equated to something like £200 p.a., whilst the blue collar staff, who were more likely to see industrial injury received a little over half that.

Currently we pay a flat £100 p.a. and I am like you suggesting a small retainer be provided for fire wardens.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 01 October 2008 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Monnetary values be B*d. Valorisation is what counts.

An annual booze-up is more important than cash. "You are a member of the emergency brigade, so come on, have a pint on me". (taxis home as required)

Actually, as memory serves, our twice annual booze-up at the police club included convoy service by flashing light police cars to each individual home.

Wheeeeeeeeee

I could go on.

Merv
Admin  
#13 Posted : 01 October 2008 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sharon
We pay £75 each Dec for 1st aiders nothing for fire wardens!
Admin  
#14 Posted : 01 October 2008 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Though, as I remember, we paid £5 per month to first aiders but nothing to fire wardens.

But the memory of a CDI serving beer at a pound a pint through the backdoor at about midnight still lingers.

Merv
Admin  
#15 Posted : 01 October 2008 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jervis
At the moment our first aiders / fire wardens /health and safety reps [workplace]dont get anything. But we are fighting for an extra annual leave day for them i work for the nhs.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 01 October 2008 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper
First Aiders
£200 per year, paid 1/2 yearly - June and December

Barry