Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2007 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Are there any other forum members who have applied (or applying) for Full IEMA Membership? If so what is your experience of this process and how was your experience of the phone interview and application process?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2007 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Arron, I have found them to be very inflexible in the standards they want, even if you have a doctorate in Env management for 20 years you still have to go through process of AIEMA open book etc. I am an EHO and also completed the Sp Dip Env man but you still cannot get AIEMA even though the NEBOSH Sp Dip is longer and more in depth than their qualifican. Ho hum!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2007 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Dave, I am already an associate through the open book examination process which I found a useful learning process.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2007 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson That OK mate but IEMA and NEBOSH both do 'Certificates' in Env Management but IEMA do not recognise it for AIEMA so didn't take the process any further as would not get any benefit from what is quite a bit of work. Shame really as these two organisations have been fighting for a couple of years over this. I was told that with my SpDipEM I could get AIEMA but this is still not resolved. Bit like the old BSC and IOSH / NEBOSH debate (Mr Tye and all that) So anyone out there if you want AIEMA do one of their accredited courses and not NEBOSH SpDipEM, that said you can use this designation if you wish.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2007 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Just been told that if I completed the certified course for AIEMA I can then go on and do the NEBOSH Spec Dip in Env management how bizarre!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2007 18:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Louisa Redpath There is a new route to AMIEMA via an nvq type route called Applied Learning. As far as I know he only centre currently registered for this new qualification is the one I am with, is Corporate Risk Systems. The advantage it seems to me is that as it has been developed with IEMA directly it maps across to all their standards and requirements, and thus on completion of my portfolio I get AMIEMA without an exam. Really enjoying it at the moment, I will keep you informed. Louisa
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2007 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith When I undertook my masters degree in environmental management, the course was not accredited by IEMA simply because the university had decided not to apply for this. As a result of this I took the decision to take the open book exam early and I am now glad that I have done so. There are a lot of anomalies in relation to courses, which are accredited, and those that are not, however my view is the exam is worth taking.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2007 21:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By DavidW I've been a member of the IEMA for several years now and always found them really helpfull when I've had questions about membership etc. After I read this thread I contacted IEMA and their reply is posted below. I also teach the Associate member course and find that people come on that from many different backgrounds. Some with quite in depth knowledge of specific environmental areas and others just starting their quest for environmental understanding. The course provides a broad level of knowledge and understanding of the underlying environmental issues and the issues relating to implementing an EMS. If you feel you already have sufficient knowledge and understanding their is nothing to stop you doing the national open book exam held (I think) twice a year. Hope this and the info below helps. "IEMA Associate membership is the knowledge based level. As qualifications and degrees vary in content so much there is a requirement for members to demonstrate that they meet the Associate criteria. One route is through the Open Book Assessment, which if you do have training or a degree in an environmental subject should be straight forward. Alternatively for those without the background there is the IEMA Approved Associate Certificate Course. More recently the IEMA has approved an applied learning route whereby members can build a portfolio to demonstrate that they have met the Associate criteria – this is again through an IEMA Approved Course provider. IEMA Full membership is the experienced based level. The process for applying is through a written application and interview, demonstrating that you meet the Full membership criteria. The IEMA also offers a combined application route for both Full membership and Chartered Environmentalist".
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2007 01:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William I am thinking of applying in may/June, i studied the subject a few years ago and have looked at the previous papers, but what i would like to know is how much detail is too much and much is not enough? I am OK with EIA's, and auditing although any tips would be well received.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2007 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Got a response from IEMA yesterdy and this is their response Thank you for your email regarding the IEMA recognition of the NEBOSH course. The IEMA have been working with NEBOSH for the last few years, but as yet the approval has not been granted. It is unlikely to change before mid-year – if at all. Never mind eh!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 20 February 2007 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith My original question was about Full IEMA membership application process rather than the Associate one. Whilst Associate IEMA examination process has been an interesting diversion, are there any members of this forum who have been through the phone interview process for the Full Membership and what was the experience like?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2007 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ironbath Yes, Arran, let's get back to your original question! I became a full MIEMA some years ago via the telephone interview. It did feel a little strange but was okay. The most important thing is that you need to be in a private office with no one to distract you. Any telephone conference can be quite difficult - especially when you don't know the other participants - and there is a little bit of talking over each other (mainly by the interviewers). The most difficult aspect is that the interviewers don't introduce themselves so you have no idea about their background - normally I like to know who I am talking to! Your benefit is that they don't know you either. They only have your CV and your paper, so study that and think about how you can elaborate on any of the aspects that you have highlighted. For example if you've said you've established 14001 find an answer to " What was the most difficult barrier to introducing 14001?" I think a fairly standard question is :"What are the 3 biggest environmental challenges in the world". In my opinion the answers are climate change, waste disposal and resource consumption growth in the developing world, but you can say anything that you like as long as you can justify it. At the level of MIEMA there are no right or wrong answers so be confident and plan a case to back up your theory. It is also likely that they will question you on your paper to make sure you actually wrote it! So re-read it and check your references. I can't imagine many people fail the interview if they have submitted a good application, so good luck, and please report back how it goes!