Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2001 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Can anyone comment on this from both an employee and employer viewpoint, and the rights of both? A colleague of mine, Mr X, has been working for a company, CO A, as H&S Manager for a total of 4 months. During his time with the new company he has had no indication as to poor performance, problems etc and considered that he was performing well - accidents etc were reducing, safety profile rising etc. However, last week, he was 'summonsed' to a performance review with his line manager and personnel manager. During this meeting the following points were discussed:- 1. His judgement was called into question ("not taking into account business needs when saying that the staff canteen ought not to open for night shift as canteen contractor had not carried out risk assessments/training and had a recent poor safety record - they wanted to open with one staff member preparing all hot food during the night shift"); 2. Allegedly he had been seen to be critical of senior management. (His opinion is that he has been, perhaps, critical of communication between departments, but not of specific management) 3. Was criticised for not being 'high-enough profile' on factory floor - even though he has a H&S department working for him. 4. Was called arrogant and was seen as a "Know-it-all". Because of these points he was told that he was to be put onto a 1 month review for the next 3 months (ie 3 reviews), and told that if his performance does not improve then there may be a termination of contract. Having checked his contract there is nothing in it about an initial review, other than a salary review after 3 months. Is there any way that the company can sack him. My opinion would be that this would be unfair dismissal, as you surely can't be dismissed for not getting along with everyone within your company. Has anyone any thoughts as I would not want to advise my colleague incorrectly?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2001 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Peter, I'm not an expert on employment law by any means, but if Safety Professionals were sacked for "not getting on with everyone", there would be an awful lot of us out of work! Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2001 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JOD As with the previous respondent I am not fully conversant with Employment Law, but in your initial letter you say that your colleague had not been spoken for his first four months of employment. Is it not the case that if they had not given him any kind of bedding in time then he would have had cause for complaint. I obviously don't know the full story but on the other side of the coin how many times have management been accused of allowing 'duds' to continue in their post without taking any effective action. It appears in this case, for whatever reason management are certainly covering their backs by now speaking to him formally .and initaiting this review structure.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2001 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Peter, employment rights and responsibilities are complex and often employers and employees get it wrong because each envisage that the other can or cannot do certain things, or believe themselves to have protection from certain actions. You asked if the employer can sack your colleague. Put simply, yes they can, but whether it is a fair dismissal or not is another matter (for an employment tribunal) and to advise your colleague on this would require a substantial examination of all the facts of the case, which cannot be done on a forum such as this. However there are a number of things that can be done. Firstly, is your colleague a member of a Trade Union? If so he should consult with them at once. They will have the resources necessary to advise and represent him if there is a problem. If not, he should consult a solicitor, local advice bureau or indeed if there is a labour relations agency in his locality. They will examine his case and advise him accordingly. May I also offer this for consideration. New employees often have specified periods of probation, and the higher their ranking the longer this period may be, 6 months is not uncommon. However there periods are not fixed. The employer is entitled to dismiss an employee during or at the end of such period if they have not come up to the required standards of performance, and the Unfair Dismissal regulations cannot be asssit if this was the sole reason for dismissal. However, employers may also extend the probationary period if they feel the employee has potential and they wish to retain him. In doing so they would set a further period and include within that performance review meetings. Perfectly acceptable employment practice and one which ideally will be supplemented with advice, training and support on what is expected. I hope these comments are useful, Regards, Philip
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2001 12:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Woods Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau immediately and take all relevant information including job description, conditions of service,copies of any correspondence etc. I am on the Management Committee of my local branch and the local branch should have all the expertise which is required or can get it.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Mr X contract can legaly be terminated within one year under existing regulations. The employer can give almost any reason such as there not happy with your work, you don't fit in with the rest of the team, your ties are too loud etc etc. The rules on unfair dismissal in this probationary year are very strict and the only person I have heard off winning such a case was a young worker at B&Q. Your obviously doing your job too well. H&S isn't supposed to cost the employer money or have any effect on how they want to run the company. You could always tow the line for the next eight months, remembering to keep notes on how you've suggested doing things and managements response to cover your back. Join a union ASAP. Robert Woods If you want info on which union is best for you and how to go about it contact ktuc.ktuc@vigin.net