Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2001 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton I am advising an organisation who have provided their employees with DSE self assessment forms, including those who work from home. Now that the completed forms are coming back in, we need to take action where required. The question is, how much action is reasonable? Providing wrist and footrests, for example, is not a problem. But providing desks and chairs for homeworkers seems to be going a bit far. No doubt other organisations have gone down this road. How did you resolve this? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, Brian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2001 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Brian, There is some excellent guidance available in the 'Technical Information' section of this site. Certainly worth a read. Phil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2001 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I read only this week about a multinational company faced with this, that decided that it ought to buy chairs for homeworkers. I think that's reasonable - the employer is going to save a ton of money from homeworking, and it seems right that some of the wear and tear should be paid for i.e. by providing a major item that's going to be worn and torn. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2001 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Surely the employer is responsible for control measures and remedial actions identified by his own risk assessments? Why on earth should people employed by the company but who use their home as their office, be expected to provide their own workstation?! They wouldn't have to if they worked on the employer's premises. In case you haven't got it already there is an HSE guide on homeworking - INDG226, published 1997. There is some excellent guidance on the Working from Home web site: http://www.wfh.co.uk/wfh...here/resource/health.htm This guidance supports the view that equipment should be provided by the employer.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2001 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd I agree with the above posts. If the employer isn't prepared to act on the answers you appear to be getting, perhaps they shouldn't have asked the question! The simple truth/requirement is, that if you employ someone to work from home and the worker uses a computer then DSE risk assessment is required (they can do it themselves - provided they have been properly trained). If the outcome indicates a furniture requirement then you have to consider what you can provide "so far as is reasonably practicable". If, as many homeworkers do, they work with a laptop at a (dining) table using a dining chair then the risks may be significant and the provision of a desk and chair (and PC) would not be unreasonable - the provision of a wrist rest is not much more than window dressing. Many companies have designed and provided homeworking systems, some can be entirely shut away after use and look much like a small wardrobe. The improved productivity achievable with a proper system will in time more than cover the initial outlay.