Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2001 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dean Scopes
Our Service Department is currently reviewing its working patterns for service engineers on call. This is being carried out following consultation with the HSE to ensure our compliance with the Working Time Regulations 1998.
I have been asked to do a risk assessment of the activity of being “on call” and then being called to site.
Has anyone carried out a similar risk assessment on working time? Or has anyone compiled guidelines for service engineers on being on call and what they should and shouldn’t do in the leisure time prior to and whilst being “on call”?
Any ideas to get me started would be appreciated.

Dean
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2001 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Hi Dean,
I carried out some risk assessments for shiftworkers, following the basic rules of the WTD, assessing the risk of not conforming with each provision.

I dare say the same would apply for on-call engineers.

The basic rights provided by the regulations are:
A limit of an average 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to do more if they want to by invoking their voluntary opt-out in writing.)
A limit of an average 8 hours work in 24 which night shift workers can be required to work
A right for night workers to receive free health assessments.
A right to 11 hours rest a day
A right to a day off a week
A right to a paid in-work break if the working day is longer than 6 hours
A right to four weeks paid leave per year

Hope this helps

Regards