Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2001 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whaley
I am involved in carrying out risk assessments for repair and maintenence of our roofs. We have a large area of North Light roofing and I am not sure of how to treat the near vertical glass panels. Access is normally achieved along the gutters at the base of the glass panels. The glass is either 6mm or wired.

Is there anyone who can help
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2001 22:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie
Have you looked at HSE publication HS(G) 33 Health and Safety in Roofwork? [ISBN 0-71-761-425-5]

In my experience "North Lights" should be treated as if they were an open edge and be suitably protected. Usually by placing suitable plywood sheets or similar along the work area and access route.

However, care needs to be taken to secure the sheets from being blown about, or from, the roof creating another risk