Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2002 19:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
Please can anybody help?

I am dealing with a private housing association who need to know if they are legally obliged to provide street lighting for a private housing estate where the association runs the general services and upkeep of the adjacent grounds.

Any info or an idea of which Act or Reg. is applicable would be greatly appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2002 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Nigel

There are several pieces of legislation on the HMSO website which relate to private streets in Northern Ireland; these include references to lighting levels. However, I cannot find anything similar relating to the Mainland but this could be because the HMSO archive does not go back far enough.

Regards

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2002 22:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I don't think there is any statute law requiring this although there will be various published standards and guidance for lighting provision in housing developments. There may, however, be requirements in contract, tenancy agreements, covenants, planning requirements and the like. [I live in a private road with no street lighting - but have my own lantern on the front garden wall to illuminate my bit of the road!]