Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2002 21:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy My employer (a local authority) is implementing a "one stop shop". I have completed a comprehensive risk assesssment including advice and input from our Police Crime Prevention Officer and Union representative (representing staff views). The risk assesment centred around three specific issues (verbal abuse; physical abuse, safe access and egress)One of the decisions was that we shall not have screens in interview booths. (There are a wide range of controls to support this including additional security staff, access to Violent tenants register, training, policy to ban/prosecute offenders, fixed furniture, CCTV and so on). Understandbly, resistance remains from some staff (in particular housing benefit) who having had screens in their work area for many years, now feel vulnerable. I would be very grateful to colleagues with this type of one stop reception area if they can provide me with a brief summary of their experience where screens are not used. In particular it would be useful to know how many reported acts of physical violence against staff. Thanks in anticipation for your help. PS If anyone faced with a similar dilemma requires a copy of my (design) risk asessment, they are of course,most welcome)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2002 22:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood Working within the security industry, I can only vouch for the employees genuine fears, or percieved threat of violence upon their person. To my regret, I have seen many instances of violance in these area's, in particular where benefits, council tax payments etc are concerned. These acts have varied from verbal assualt to stab injuries. Despite the thorough assessment you have done please consider the following. If you are using CCTV has there been a Privacy Assessment and do you comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. If you feel you can justify the use of CCTV for the safety of workers, then I would consider there is also an equal need for safety screens. The use of security officers is a good idea, but what provisions would be in place whilst he/she was on a rest break or dealing with another incident elsewhere. Perhaps most importantly, you state yourself that many workers had been used to having safety screens before. Might I ask why these measures where introduced in the first place? Was there a percieved risk of injury? If so, despite your assessment, then the risk is still evident and control measures (safety screens) should be used. Many people will no doubt argue the case of 'what is practicable', with both the costs and type of control measures applied. I would personally have to argue that where there is a real risk to life, as there is in this scenario, it does not apply. Forgive my long post and biased view, but I have seen far too many people injured for the sake of 'a few quid'. Not to mention the security officers who are injured as a result of having to deal with some of societies more violent people.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2002 07:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Well, i worked in the civil service for 10 years in a benefit paying environment, including reception areas both screened and unscreened. Experiance has taught me that the screens do need to be there, be it a Bexley Heath Jobcentre stabbing incident(Do a search and look for the pictures!!) or a more local one we had where someone doused himself in petrol and threatened to light himself. The biggest reason managers found to remove the screens was the lack of incidents. This wasnt true because most people would not copmplete the 10 page incident report form, as one it was so long and two they were expected to do it as well as continue working. If you look at http://www.pcs.org.uk/campaigns/03jcpscreens.htm it will give you some idea of what the PCS consider the problems are and why they are striking over the issue. If the PCS is prepared to strike, i would have thought that UNISON would also take this position. Also as part of the risk assessment, have you considered stress. If so what has the stress risk assessment shown? Ash
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2002 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Is there a continuous counter so high and wide that the would-be assailants cannot reach the staff with their hand-held weapons and is the area free of potential 'missiles'? The theory seems to rely upon getting slightly happier public/clients at the expense of less happy and more vulnerable staff. Might one suggest that, within a public authority, this could be motivated by political considerations?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2002 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Thank you for the responses to date. What I am trying to acheive is balanced and informed risk assesment with no pre-conceptions. We can of course adopt an approach that if isnt broke, dont fix it, therefore screens shall be there for ever more. (Perhaps we include frisking people for weapons when they come in too). No, what I would very much like is useable information from those organisations that have implemented a one stop shop about the effect of physical and verbal abuse on staff partcilarly where screens have been removed or are not used. This information may change the risk assessment and control measures or give staff confidence that it can work I have an open mind about this issue which I feel is essential. Thanks again
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2002 18:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston John Large District Council - (no social services or education responsibility) We have three one stop shops out of the centre of town. None have screens. Initial contact (and assessment) with clients is made over a reception counter that is sufficiently wide and tall to offer safety by distance (though sloped away from the client from 1 metre height to appear a less forbidding barrier - nothing that might be used as a missile or weapon is kept on these counters. The counter area is laid out to allow rapid retreat into the back office should this be necessary. Where possible we try to maintain line of sight between this area and the back office - though this is often resisted by the back office staff who don't want to be called out by particular clients. The reception counter has a panic alarm that sounds in the back office. Interview rooms/booths lead immediately off the reception area and are designed to be as welcoming and unthreatening as possible but we ensure that there's a table between clients and staff if we have any concerns about the client (we also interview two up in these cases). Staff are trained to ensure that the client isn't ever between them and the exit. Panic buttons are provided but discreetly placed. Line of sight to the back office is not immediate - to ensure that the client doesn't feel like a golfish in a bowl - but vision panels in the door or close to it allow back office staff to observe should they deem it necessary (eg raised voices, alarms etc.) Each time we have done this there has been staff concern - because they feel more vulnerable - but incidents involving threats abuse and assault have reduced - and people on both sides of the transaction seem to appreciate and respond to a more civilised environment. Our central benefits office - which has a double reception desk and a dozen interview booths is a high volume variation on this theme - there has been a marked reduction in aggressive incidents involved with these transactions as we have moved towards this model from one originally closer in spirit to the dole offices of "Boys from the Blackstuff" days The one thing that is crucial is to ensure that all staff - not just front line - know how to respond if an incident starts - and (OK - two things) that front line staff have the confidence to terminate an interview and/or withdraw when their instinct tells them something is amiss.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2002 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Maycock John We have just been issued an Improvement Notice from the HSE for failing to protect employees in such a situation that you are considering ie no screening. The incident that gave rise to the notice was an atttack on an employee in housing benefits by a client. After discussions with Management,Police,Staff and Unions the only real option to protect employees was to segregate them from clients. This segregation has now been implemented by the erection of screens along with training of staff to deal with violence and agression and customer care. We have also made improvements to the environment to make it a more comfortable area for clients waiting to be seen etc. All these improvements have had a part in diffusing any risk to employees. However,the most important aspect as far as the employees are concerned in the segregation by the means of screens. We would appreciate a copy of your "designed" Risk Assessment. Regards Tom
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2002 21:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Winstanley Hi John, I also work for a local authority and we are currently in the planning stages of implementing a one stop shop. I would be very grateful if you could forward a copy of your design risk assessment, as we are only just starting to undertake ours. We are planning to remove our screens also and have involved external consultants in designing an appropriate environment. I'll let you know how we get on. The responses you have received to date are very interesting. Many thanks to all.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2002 01:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood It seems there is some positive responses so far! Have you considered the use of hidden screens? The type that ascend quickly from a hidden orifice (slot in the counter top) - not disimilar to the type used in some banks etc. Perhaps this type of screen may offer every advantage. It is asthetically pleasing as it cannot be seen (until activated) and staff may be given that 'edge' of confidence knowing that by touching a button, they are instantly, physically separated from the assailant and fully protected. As the screens are, to all intents and purposes invisible, it would perhaps be more conducive to a friendly atmosphere. Admittedly, there may be a cost issue but perhaps only installing the screens in 'some' booths might help, these booths being used for those who are known to be violent or abusive. To keep an accurate record of unreported incidents due to long winded reporting procedures, fit a counter to the screens that increment by 1 on every activation.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2002 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson John, Not an expert in your area by any means, but I have noticed that the removal of the screens in job centres has kicked up one heck of a fuss with employees and unions alike, resulting in severe strike action. This has been heavily publicised in the TUC Risks E-ZIne (free subscription). IN the spirit of true employee consultation, if the employees are dead set against removal of screens, then perhaps this should be seriously considered. From another angle, have you provided training to your staff in dealing with abuse, diffusing violent situations, breakaway techniques etc. I have recently arranged some training for our staff who deal with the public and the course has been excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by all. Another important point is the level of support given to staff after an abusive event (either physical or verbal). Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss. Nick