Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2002 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne I've seen an abrasive wheels training course advertised, which refers to Regulation 9 of the Abrasive Wheel Regulations 1970 (on training requirements for people who have to change wheels on grinding machines.) But I thought these Regs were revoked by PUWER?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2002 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis It has been but remember there is still a training requirement under PUWER 98. The info. under theold reg 9 training is still relevant. The scope of the training is now wider and must include safe use and associated matters such as spark control, fire precautions in use, PPE etc. The HSE have produced a useful guide on the safe use of abrasive wheels the name of which escapes me at the moment. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2002 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Yes, PUWER98 revoked Reg 9 (& other sector specific law on training)
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2002 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis It's HSG 17 Safety in the use of Abrasive wheels!! Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2002 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Thanks chaps
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2002 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'd be tempted to steer clear of them if I were you! It's also amazing how many CDM health and safety plans, method statements, H&S policies, etc still refer to long-superseded legislation. There seems to be quite a communications problem in this respect.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2002 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Actually Ken has raised a whole problem in itself here. Many organisations quote specific regulations in so many different bits of paper that tracking them down for change can be a problem. That is not to say that some do not bother as they perceive the strong words of some of the older legislation as a tool to sell a particular point. The training requirements under PUWER 98, and its partner LOLER 98, cover almost every possible training requirement for equipment used at work. But they do not highlight specific items and this to some people is too vague. Bob