Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2002 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Caldeira Establishments running such holidays require particpants to wear a helmet for certain activities i.e. caving, abseiling, riding bikes, horse riding etc. My question is, what is the position concerning sikh pupils, are they exempt from wearing helmets? and if they are what will an establishment's defence be if there was an accident?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Since Sikhs are expempted from wearing crash helmets on motorcycles and, I think, hard hats on construction sites I think this might be a reasonable defence, but I am not a lawyer Laurie
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2002 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Robert, Can i suggest that as a possible defence should something happen you look at the problem in reverse? What would happen if you told the Sikh chidren they were not allowed on the schemes, What would happen if you told them that they had to remove their Turban's? Laurie is correct there is an accepted excemption for Sikhs on Motor cycles, Building sites and also Police helmets as the Turban and Hair are considered an acceptable level of protection and it is an important part of their religion for most Sikhs. Hope this helps Ash
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2002 22:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We would take the same position as Laurie and Ashley for our schools. I would suggest, however, that it is particularly important in these cases to ensure that the parent(s)/guardian(s) are fully informed of the nature of activities to be carried out.