Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2002 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Dear all, My company wants to take certain workroom (where food is handled) temperatures down to the lowest reasonable level, I have been asked to confirm what this would be. I will order The Thermal Environment British Occ Hygiene Society tech guide, ISBN 09482 3729 5 and I have a copy of Food sheet 3 Workroom temps. Has anyone read these, will they provide any guidance, I would like some clarification on a reasonable minimum temperature. My thoughts are this. 1. We already have staff working in a -1 degrees c environment, they have suitable clothing, decided before my time. 2. Previous RA for staff working at 4-6 degrees c. have indicated a need for thermal under clothes and gloves etc which we provide. Can I have your comments please. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2002 17:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2002 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston The HELA referred to above references this Food Industry Info Sheet http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubs/food3.htm Beyond that I'd just endorse your BIOH reference - chapter 5 - Cold Stress - should give you all you want and deals with really cold workrooms You might also get some help from the UK Association of Frozen Food Producers (UKAFFP) 1 Green Street London W1Y 3RG Tel: 020 7629 0655
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2002 22:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks very much to Jack and Mark for your response. There has been a lot of discussion on maximum work temps, but I could not find a lot on the colder environment. Thanks again. Andrew