Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2002 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Hi all, I have recently been appointed health & safety link governor for my daughter's school. As a utility company safety advisor, school safety is not an area I have a great deal of expertise in. COuld anyone point me in the right direction of some literature please? Many thanks in advance, Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2002 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson DOH!, Have just searched HSE books, and found a lot of things I can get off HSE Direct. Any other sources would be useful. Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2002 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray I used to be a parent governor with the same responsibilities if you contact your local education authority governor support they will advise you. They also should run courses for school governors for H&S
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Hi Nick, The DFEE website has some safety info'sheets. (Also try HSE site free leaflets, I think it has an education setction) Also, the LEA has an often has an advisor. The Head will have a list of leaflets produced by the LEA which is a good starting place for policy writing. Please do something about safety in schools. Our local primary has left a 4 year old on a bus, bolted children in and I don't expect them to do an asbestos survey before proposed major refurbishment. I was H&S Gov. & on a playground committee, but had to resign when new playground was built without my knowledge and of course none of the equipment is up to scratch- and the drainage caused the school to be flooded. So, all I can say is best of luck, they beat me! Nicky
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2002 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Nick I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but one important point often overlooked by governors is their status (ie is the governing body the employer or not?). This depends on the type of school eg in a Foundation school the GB is employer but in Community school it is the LEA (it is obviously an important distinction for h&s management because main responsibility is placed on employer so in the latter case the school has to implement the LEA Policy) You've probably seen it but the DfES has just published guidance on responsibilities: http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/bank.cfm?section=2034
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2002 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan I am also a parent governor with H&S/premises role. Contact your LEA, they have health and safety advisors who carry out inspections and they also produce model policies etc. I can let you have a copy of the policy for my school if you would like one. Good luck Lance lance.morgan@ulh.nhs.uk
Admin  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Nick As a Governor you'll probably find the role as challenging, frustrating and rewarding as your PAID, day job! The DfEE Publications Centre produce a "Guide to the Law for School Governors". You can ask your school to get it or e.mail - dfee@prologistics.co.uk and request a copy, you will need to tell them what your school status is and quote SGLC (with a ring binder) or SGLCT (without). They also have a site for Governors - http://www.dfee.gov.uk/governor/governor.htm where you can find all your needs. Your LEA will undoubtedly have a Governor support person. Best of luck!!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2002 22:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Moore I've recently been upgraded !! to an Education Safety Officer post from being safety co-ordinator for Birmingham's school meals staff, cleaners, caretakers etc. If you need any specific advice - I'm a link away. Hopefully I can help ! Cheers Jan
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2002 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Hi Nick, I'm an education H&S adviser so if you'd like to give me a call (01634 331038) I'll be happy to help - just don't mention headlice!!! Regards Zoe
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2002 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment ...or kiddywinks with hep ..... or BASE jumping pigeon cadavers! Isn't this job interesting!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 01 February 2002 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Nick, Looks like a good number of us have taken on this responsibility (is it compulsory for those of use with kids?), and, having just finished my 3 year stint in November, would endorse what has already been posted. Frustrating it certainly can be, peeling away the layers of bureaucracy at the Local Authority and the tendency to pass responsibility between departments and agencies who don't actually talk to each other- I must admit to having failed to get agreement on much needed road safety improvements when the school was being extended (required Education, Technical Services, Roads & Planning Departments to co-operate!). The sucesses are therefore to be savoured - like the day I finally saw a workman take a stone cutter to the school wall to reduce the height at the car park exit to below that of a child's head (just a pity he was doing it at 3:30pm as the kids were leaving through the gate!). Good luck and "Illegitimae nil carborundum" John
Admin  
#12 Posted : 01 February 2002 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Thanks to everyone for their contributions - I ahd no idea of the magnitude of the task I had taken on. As usual I appear to have bitten off more than I can chew. I will print off this thread, so the people who have offered help - expect LOTS of contact over the coming months. Many thanks once again, Nick