Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2002 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Winfield I have started to complete a Fire risk assessment for a friend of mine,but require some advice before i go any further. The company have been trading for over twenty years as a wholesaler without any incidents,but they store quite a lot of aerosol cans. The premises have no fire warning system in place,but above the premises are two occupied flats,this is my main concern especially at night. The company have rented the premises for twenty years. What i really need information on, is it the responsibility of the landlord to ensure a fire alarm system is in place for both the premises and also the flat. Or what other fire warning system could be used as we have a budget implication here. Any help and advice would be gratfully received. D Winfield
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2002 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would try asking this question on FireNet [http://www.globalcrisiscenter.com/BBSFire/index.php] but further details would probably be needed about any existing fire certificates, size of premises, number of floors, numbers and locations of employees, any Building Control requirements, etc. With adequate fire separation between the two occupancies there may not be a requirement for a combined system but if the aerosols are HFLs this will be a matter for some concern. A visit from the local fire officer would also seem a good idea.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2002 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Although you state a lot of aerosols are stored, you do not say how many. You could be subjected to the Fire Precautions (Special Premises) Regs 1976. The occupier of the warehouse has an obligation to carryout risk assessment and ensure that at least there is a means of raising the alarm throughout the whole property. Liaison is also a pre-requesite where there are more than one occupier. As already suggested, a polite request from your friendly Fire Prevention Officer of the Local Area Fire Brigade will assist at no cost! Worth the telephone call!!!