Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2002 12:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Elliott Days lost per employee in my organisation are to some extent rather high. This is due to a handfull of employees on long term sickness leave. The problem I'm up against is that the powers that be i.e. G.P.'s and Occupational Health are declaring people unfit for work and stress that on no account can they return to work. But, low and behold when the employee gets to around six months absence and is informed they will not be recieving full sick pay, a miracle occurs and they return to work. Does anyone know of similar circumstances or have any information on tackling this issue?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2002 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Jackson On the similar circumstances front - yep, my father-in-law's just done exactly the same thing. Hates his job, wants to be made redundant but they won't as he's too expensive to pay off, and he's got another 4 years to early retirement. So he got signed off for 6 months on stress, got to his 6 months, went back to the end of the year, then went off again for another 6 months. Redundancy is the best solution for both sides in his case. As for your case, the whole 'getting rid because of absence or ill health' thing is so twisted and complicated, personally I'd hand it to your HR people and ask them for definitive guidance. In my experience I've never come across a straight-forward answer to this. Alternatively, can IOSH's legal helpline help?