Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2002 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matt We are wishing to send employees to an engineering company to demonstrate and train their employees on our practices. How far do our duties go to ensure the safety of our employees on someone else's property, particularly if using their machinery? What if the engineering company refuses us entry to undertake a risk assessment or general walk round?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2002 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Have I read this right? You are worrying about acces to risk assess their premises before sending your employees to train theirs? Answer is simple, if they will not co-operate dont assist in their training. Surely the training is of mutual benefit. If I have read this wrong then please correct me. Your duty is to risk assess prior to sending, they have a duty to inform you of their hazards. This is simplified but true. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2002 20:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Matt I would agree with Andy in that the engineering company must be willing to cooperate with your request for information prior to you undertaking training at their premises. It is your duty to ensure a safe working place for your employees and it is the engineering companies duty to ensure that your employees come to no harm whilst on thier premisis. In addition to risk assessments that you have to undertake I would also check that the company has,(and dont take for granted) public liability cover that has accident cover for non employees (e.g. your employees). So that in the event of an accident to one of your employees because of their negligence your employee would make a claim against them on their public liability policy. Hope this helps Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2002 15:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede If this is part of commercial transaction why not get your commercial guys to write into the contract the requirement for your client/ to comply with your H&S policies. This will naturally include risk assessments site afety visits or anything else you may think of.