Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2002 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Can anyone please point me towards products that have proved useful in reducing manual handling risks for staff in public libraries? I'm thinking of trolleys with adjustable heights, better ways to store newspapers etc. As ever I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2002 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall If you haven't seen "A guide to reducing injuries from manual handling in libraries" you can download it from: http://www.warwick.ac.uk...afety-office/libhand.htm On page 11 there is a list of suppliers of library book trolleys. I can't comment on the suitability of any of the equipment from these suppliers. I have been involved in library staff manual handling training and have expressed concern about trolley design, which seems to me to be in a time-warp. Although these wooden trolleys look really old-fashioned to me and a definite hazard in themselves, I was assured that they are recently purchased and the latest design. In my view their design allows too many books to be carried, they are unstable when fully loaded, the lower shelves are too low (knee height and below whereas hip/waist height would be safer), and the castors/wheels are too small to work safely when fully loaded, especially on carpeted floors. A supermarket trolley, the single shallow basket at waist height type, would be a lot safer.