Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2002 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young So the Labour Government has once again ommitted to include the above legislation in the Queens speech, quelle surprise! We have John Prescott & co beating their gums about revitalising H&S and making employers rightly more responsible for what happens in the workplace. It sickens me to listen to these nonentities spout rhetoric to all who listen to them and then walk away from the problem because they haven't got the bottle to introduce hard hitting legislation. It was promised in the Manifesto of 1997, there again so was a lot of other forgotten promises. I have spent the last few years convincing my senior managers that this legislation was a definite starter and that they must accept responsibility. How do I now tell them that it isn't going to happen without losing credibility for myself and H&S as a whole. Will IOSH be responding to this news and if so how?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2002 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I think we should all write to our MP. I couldn't agree more. Only a few days ago, I introduced the concept of 'killing by gross carelessness' to my directors and it had quite an impact - not so convincing now! Did you see the Mark Thomas Project on TV a few months ago- apparantly the bill was discussed on the day of the Queen Mum's funeral - and only 4 MPs were in parliament. As they pointed out on the programme, the Queen Mum lived a long and healthy life - unlike the thousands of employees whos live's are cut short every year by occupational health problems and accidents.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2002 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams This is an interesting one to throw into the areana too: - I seem to remember reading an article in which Bill Callaghan was questioned over general comitment to the the above legislation and why unions hadnt pressured Labour to intorduce the legislation. The response was that Pensions are of greater importance at the moment!! Strange comment for the leader of UCAT the construction union to make and worrying that the chair of the HSC sees pensions of more importance too. I will now go off and search for the article. Ashley