Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2002 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sutherland I am seeking assistance in the preparation of a safety perception questionnaire for our employees to complete. The intent is to try to establish the level of safety compliance and committment by management as perceived by our employees and also how they see the general culture for safety. This information will then be used to try to define and decide our next steps in safety management. A bit of background may assist, we are involved in railway construction and maintenance across Australia. This means our personnel work away from home much of the year. Sometimes in very isolated areas and certainly in somewhat less than ideal environments.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2002 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas David Sent you one direct - you might want to try the site's search/archive facility as this subject has been raised before. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2002 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Hi David, Not sure exactly the purpose of this questionnaire or what Ken has sent you, but presumably you need a 'Likert' type of employee attitude survey. Or is it you need an idea of risk perceptions for the purpose of identifying hazar-harm relationships for a formal risk assessment. Attitude surveys can come in a generic form, however it might be more useful to devise your own, specific for the purpose. Safety/risk perception of employees is more problematic, although there are generic, occupation specific and hazard specific types of assessment available. Having spent the last 20 years working in the railway industry I am acutely aware of most of the hazards, added to the difficult environment 'down under' it is unlikely that a 'off the shelf' type would be suitable. If you are serious about defining safety/risk perceptions as opposed to a 'paper safety' exercise, designing your own questionnaire/survey would be more interesting and accurate. I have to hand some material that may be of use if you should require some additional help. Regards, Ray
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2002 23:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Sutherland Ray - I guess this could best be described as trying to prepare for the "next steps" in our safety management system. We have basically appeared to have reached what might be best described as a plateau in our performance. We reduced our overall LTIFR (the aussies are besotted with this measure!) down from 97 'ish to 5. In real terms this relates to a sort of basic average of 1 lost time injury (over here anything which results in 1 or more shift losses)per 2 months. There is a "background" of around 20 minor injury/property damage events per month nationally in an employee base of around 350. So out of all this I want to try and find out what the guys on the ground think. What do they see as the base issues. I think management have done their best on the bare statistical facts and with the obvious, now we have to try and find the less obvious. I have received a questionnaire from Ken which is based on one from the HSE I gather. At this point we are looking at anything and everything so any assistance advice you may have will be gratefully received.