Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2002 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Curtis
Has anyone got any practical advice as to what an employer should have in place if they open an unsupervised gym for employees to use in their spare time.

My own feeling is that before staff can use the gymey should obtain a note from a doctor etc to confirm that they are healthy enough to take this sort of excercise. Employer should ensure that all equipment is suitably maintained and that clear operating instructions and warnings etc are positioned near the relevant equipment. Advice/instruction should also be in place for persons using free weights, i.e must be 2 people present during these times etc. Anyone who knows of any advice leaflets etc this info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2002 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan
Karl

I've just had a quick look at www.Google.com entered gym safety - there's loads of good stuff.

Agree, have the place well maintained, ditto with equipment. Ensure everyone has a membership card and has been explained the rules, thereafter have some sort of signing in routine to monitor for safety and evacuation reasons.

Regards

David
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2002 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I would suggest a photo-type ID card upon completion of an induction course by a competent person. Add access to first-aid provision and a telephone or alarm for emergency use, a good lock on the door and a drinking water fountain.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2002 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dyfed Rowlands
Give the British Weight Lifting Association a ring - they'll point you in the right direction.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2002 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Hi Karl, our healthy living adviser tell me the following:- if you have an unsupervised gym, ensure you have a medical pre activity
questionnaire/disclaimer drawn up by a solicitor. I wouldn't ask all your employees to get a note from their doctor, as they will probably charge a fee and it is unnecessary unless they have answered yes to some of the medical questions i.e. high blood pressure and history of heart disease etc. If you have quite a large workforce I would advise you to pay a qualified instructor to undertake inductions and programme updates to help you retain your members, otherwise this may result in a drop of membership due to non motivation. If the gym is to be unsupervised then display as many instructions and warnings as possible.

Leesa Vain.