Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2002 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum Cameron Tech SP
Whilst wondering around a construction site during an inspection I was confronted by an operative rubbing down the joints on a drylinned wall with a powered sander attached to a Hilti portable vacuum cleaner.
The thought occured that as a company, we should be asking for proof of maintainance of this piece of equipment in the form of a 14 monthly thorough examination certificate as required by COSHH.
To confirm my thoughts, i contacted both a local HSE inspector and the HSE info line who apparently had not thought of the need for 14 monthly examinations for "portable LEV"
Funny how the mind works sometimes isnt it!!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2002 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Higgs
I claim to know nothing about the equipment you describe but the COSHH ACoP does mention portable LEV under the heading "Local exhaust ventilation (LEV) plant" (para 64 of the 1999 ACoP). There is no definition for 'plant' but I can only assume that your drylining LEV would be included. I would imagine that an inspection period of 14 months in such an environment would be rather long. However, it should be relatively easy to detect if the LEV was malfunctioning as the dust is very visible (unlike fume cupboards and safety cabinets in my line of work). Filter type and condition would be prime candiates for inspection.
I would be interested to know if inspections do take place for such equipment in the construction industry.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2002 14:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum Cameron Tech SP
I agree Kieth, 14 months is too long a time but obviously the time between inspections would be identified by a risk assessment as this equipment can take a real battering on a construction site
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2002 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
By comparrison, vacuuming (shadow vacuuming) is employed in taking asbestos samples, employing a type'H' (hazardous dust) vacumm cleaner.

The situation here is that the contents of the vacuum, obviously hazardous, as well as the cleansing/replacement of the bag, vacuum cleaner internal parts, secondry filter and HEPA filter need to be carried out by a trained and competent person.

On enquiry with the manufacturer, prior to purchase of this equipment, I was informed that testing and certification of the vacuum needed to be carried out regularly - at least 6 monthly, or as stated by the manufacturer in accordance with HSE advice they received, after 800 to 1000 hours use.

In the case of fine particulate dust, including silica one assumes, in plaster dust, has an assessment of risk been done in respect of the vacuuming operation to ensure that the harmful particulates are removed from 'recycled' air and what if anything needs to be done to empty the vacuum safely and clean and secure new bags and filters ect in the equipment.

Is the dust actually harmfull in this context, e.g. being vacuumed (through a filter) and does it need any special precautions (over and above perhaps a dust mask and eye protection etc) to be taken.

Whilst in theory it does represent LEV with the emphysis being on 'Local' what about other vacumming tasks in the workplace and how far down this road does or should LEV go in respect of vacuum cleaners !!

An interesting if somewhat nerdish study subject for someone me thinks...

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2002 19:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear Calum,

There are actually a number of important points here.

1. A normal vacuum cleaner could redistribute the silica into the air and thus generate additional risk. It is not therefore a suitable control device.

2. The requirement is that LEV systems be subject to a thorough test and examination every 14 months. You would also have to carry out additional user inspections as is appropriate.

Regards Adrian Watson