Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2002 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roddis
I am currently doing the ROSPA QSA auditor course and wondered if any other local authority advisers had done the same and implemented a scheme based upon this in their authority. If so, was it successful and can you tell me more of the way you have proceeded.
The scheme is useful for benchmarking and this should be possible provided we implement it in a similar way.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2002 20:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry
Peter

I took this course about 8 years ago when I was in the CAA. My then boss took it a few months later.

We undertook one audit each and compared notes. We decided the audit was far too laborious and time consuming (both our time and that of management and staff of the units being audited) and we felt there was no additional benefits than if we had carried out a more 'traditional' style audit.

I'd understood at the time that the HSE had a large input into the content and style and that inspectors were being trained in QSA techniques. I've dealt with a number of inspectors over the last few years and it certainly isn't obvious they were using them.

My impression was, and still is, that the audit is a cumbersome tool and that the target needs to be very carefully selected if it isn't all just going to be a waste of time.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2002 20:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Roddis
Thanks for your comments. Having attended the course I must say that the system provides a very comprehensive and structured approach. I was surprised and impressed by the way it works. However, I can see that it could take up a lot of time but with careful planning could still be useful.

I'd be interested in other peoples views good or bad.

I'll keep people updated with how I go with the first audit which I plan to do shortly.