Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2002 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger
Are any members aware of any future planned changes to LOLER where by any lift involving a crane will need to be planned by an appointed person rather than a competent person as defined in reg 8?. I understand that an appointed person is defined in BS7121.
I have heard that a crane company has drafted an ACoP which the HSE have approved.
Can anybody clarify?
Thanks,
Anthony Slinger.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2002 09:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
There is getting to be a confusion in the use of terms at this moment. The CPA, Contract Plant Assoc., have been in consultation with the HSE and there has been concern that many Lifting Operations are not being adequately controlled as per reg.8. The move is therefore to ensure that all hirers of cranes particularly either have a competent person appointed or the hire will be on a contract lift basis only, where the Hire Company take full control. For companies with little experience and a few lifts only to complete the Contract Lift is undoubtedly a good, but more costly,option.

Reg.8 is clear that this competent person role is about planning and co-ordination of operations-it is not the signaller/slinger role which is how many people have tended to view it. If there are a number of different lifting operations occurring the role will be co-ordinating the integration of these works to prevent danger. Remember that FLTs, telehandlers, excavators etc are lifting equipment and their activities need to be co-ordinated also.

I know that many HSE inspectors have asked to see documentation to show that a particular person has been designated/appointed as the competent person for the work. Don't get hung up on the detail. My own view is that the drafters chose badly in selecting the word competent for use in reg.8 as it leads to confusion with reg.9. Both are being used adjectivally to describe ability but the roles are different, I would have been happier to maintain the BS terminology for reg.8 as the role description is near identical to all effect.

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2002 19:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Tony

the Precast concrete federation have a code of parctice that carries and endorsing letter from the HSE, but that I found rather vague.

If you go to their web site (put their name into google or other search engine) the document is downloadable from their site in PDF format.

Hope this helps...

~~~~~~~~~~~~