Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2008 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen C In health and safety terms, is there a definition of significant? I need to define in more detail something I have stated in a report and just wondered whether 'significant' is the correct word to use. Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2008 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham I don't know of an "official" definition of significant, but for me, in the context of risk assessment and risk management, this word signifies that whatever it is is of sufficient importance as to require some action to be taken. Of course, others may put a different interpretation on it. Chris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2008 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Hoskins Helen, I tend to use the inverted meaning as in 'not negligible or trivial'. Unfortunately, it assumes different meanings in different contexts, such as in statistical terms it can mean 'probably resulting from something other than chance'. Alan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2008 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richie Helen, 'BS 8800 :2004 - Occupational health and safety management systems - guide' provides a credible answer. This is the only document within which I have found an authoritative definition of 'significant' concerning Risk Assessment. Within the Risk Assessment Annex (ANNEX E), BS 8800 :2004 lays down some key steps in the process of risk assessment and risk control. Under "Identify hazards: Identify all significant hazards relating to each work activity. Consider who might be harmed and how" there is a note explaining:- "The term significant has been introduced to emphasize that a practical cut-off should be applied, and that it is neither sensible nor practicable to expend effort identifying hazards and assessing risks that are manifestly implausible, or which have negligible harm potential" Hows that for service! Richie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2008 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Something greater than insignificant...
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2008 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CFT Helen If the item or event you are making reference to is of a significant nature then it will have been suitably assessed and your findings appropriately documented (vis H&S purposes). There are many interpretations of significant, and it would be helpful if you could indicate the nature of this significant ? in your report (generalise) to say yeh or neh if it is indeed significant, which it probably is otherwise you wouldn't have used it in your report. Significant: Having or likely to have a major effect; 'a significant hazard' a significant risk' , a significant increase (or decrease) in trends/accidents/etc, a significant number of persons have been affected, a significant number have not! CFT
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2008 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By alan brotherton Whatever the deffinition of "significant" is, - I am sure it will be "suitable and sufficient"
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2008 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colin Helen, The generally recognised legal definition of significant is 'more than minimal'. This has been applied in a number of H&S, criminal and civil judgements. Although I guess this may not be of great practical assistance? Colin.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2008 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mal Helen, you could try using the definition of significant as described in the ACOP and industry led guidance on CDM residual hazards / risks. That is, either: a) not obvious b) unusual c) difficult to manage Regards, Mal
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2008 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen C Thanks all....great responses. Definitely have something to work with now. Cheers