Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LJames2010  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2011 10:31:29(UTC)
LJames2010

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of guidance or to get a general concenus from fellow H&S professionals regarding the subject of employees signing off risk assessments. I am currently doing the NEBOSH Diploma and over the past week or so we have been discussing risk assessments and the requirement to communicate the results of such back to the workforce.

Some people are in favour of having an employee sign off sheet attached to the assessment with each employee required to sign to show that they have read and understood the assessment. I think this plan is great for a smaller organisations, but with 400+ employees such as mine, this may be a little difficult to achieve.

My opinion of not having an employee sign off sheet may be based on the fact that the company that i work for has never implemented such a system - I may be blinded by our 'current method' and haven't seen a need to change - however, what the Diploma course has done, is really emphasise the requirement for employee communication - as at the end of the day, they are who the risk assessment is deisgned to protect, not just to gather dust on the shelf somewhere!

My attitude is very much starting to change and I would really appreciate some thoughts and opinions on employees signing off risk assessments. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Has anyone identified an effective method of making sure that such assessments have been effectively communicated down to the end user.

Many Thanks!
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:01:14(UTC)
A Kurdziel

LJames2010

We ask that everybody that uses a risks assessment sign it off. I know it is not a legal requirement but it does mean that we can be reasonably sure that they have seen the document and had an opportunity to ask questions about it.
Although we have about 900 staff and we have hundreds of assessments we don’t expect everyone to sign every assessment only those that are relevant to their work- as we are basically a scientific organisation we can expect our staff to understand what they are signing.
We are currently moving away from a paper based system to one using an electronic document management system and we will be using electronic signatures in the future.
It depends on what you do.
In some circumstances ( production lines maybe) it might not be appropriate to expect every to sign the risk assessment but you will need some confirmation that the staff know what they are doing and have appropriate training and been issued with the right kit.
Horses for courses I suppose.
Dazzling Puddock  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:14:41(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

I have never seen the point in getting an employee to sign of on seeing a risk assessment
but I do however get employees to sign off on seeing a written safe system of work/ method statement or any documentation produced as a result of a risk assessment being carried out.
MaxPayne  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:18:11(UTC)
MaxPayne

I'd be interested to know whether anyone who has been subject to scrutiny by an HSE officer has had cause to use an employee signed risk assessment which has served as some defence that they have been briefed and informed etc.
RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:21:22(UTC)
RayRapp

Mmm not a simple question I suspect. RAs should be conducted with ideally a representative of the employees ie a union rep. They should then be brought to the attention of those carrying out the tasks, but how this is best achieved will depend on different circumstances of each organisation. As for employees signing off RAs, there is no legal requirement and it could be construed as being a bit OTT. I would prefer employees being aware of RAs through training, refresher, mentoring or some other similar activity.

It reminds me of when I was a train driver, we had to sign for weekly traffic circulars to say that we have read the information therein - no real evidence we did. When it was noticed I had not signed for 2 weeks circulars I was asked to sign retrospectively. I explained I was on annual leave and had not received them, but the manager was insistent that I sign for them for auditing purposes - I stood by my guns and refused, otherwise it just becomes a paper exercise.
wainwrightbagger  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:25:13(UTC)
wainwrightbagger

In a previous life, we used to file work area relevant risk assessments in the work area. The relevant manager was required to bring these to the attention of staff and the individuals then signed an over-arching declaration filed in the same place that they had the assessment brought to their attention and that they had understood them.

This was supplemented with toolbox talks that regularly went through relevant risk assessments which required signed evidence of staff taking part in the talk.

The work we were involved with sometimes required safe systems be prepared and these were filed alongside the assessment. The over-arching declaration included reference to these.

Although never tested by an enforcement officer, as Max references, they did prove useful in defending liability claims occasionally.
MaxPayne  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:34:43(UTC)
MaxPayne

wainwrightbagger wrote:

Although never tested by an enforcement officer, as Max references, they did prove useful in defending liability claims occasionally.

That's exactly my point; employers will be keen to get employees to sign something if they believe it will defend them if something goes wrong, and that may well have some influence with lawyers defending claims, but is it suitable and sufficient in an enforcement officers eyes, or indeed a court's as a form of making sure they have been informed and understand the content?
Ron Hunter  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2011 12:35:56(UTC)
Ron Hunter

A not uncommon issue of misinterpretation of L21 requirements. Duty is to communicate significant findings of risk assessment to relevant employees in comprehensible fashion, not to communicate the assessment itself. The way this is sensibly done is via information, instruction and training.

Whilst Risk Assessments should be available on request, I suggest that there is no reason for employees to be shown them. Risk Assessment is a management tool, not a method of directly informing employees.
I find it slighly worrying that some of your fellow students on a NEBOSH Diploma would think otherwise.

I refer you to Regulation 10 of the Management Regs and ACoP paras 63-66.

As for the burdensome, bureacratic and uncessary processes described elsewhere in this post by others..........
Bob Shillabeer  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2011 13:29:54(UTC)
Bob Shillabeer

When ever I see a posting like this one I start to cry. The purpose of the risk assesment is to firstly identify the risks and secondly to develop a system that minimises the risk. Those who think that telling the employee about the risk assessment by showing them the finished bit of paper are going down the wrong road and simply being very paper driven. The finding of the RA is to enable a safe system of work to be developed and introduced. If this requires a specific method of doing the work it is that that must be put to the worker and then enforced through good management and proper supervision. The RA is simply a part of managing the issue and the operation of its finding is the method to do it. Tell your employees about the risks and how they are minimised by the method of operation specified by the employer.
richv  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2011 13:47:56(UTC)
richv

Hi All

I am a supporter of communicating the output of the risk assessment as some others have mentioned. The RA itself is the mechanism to identify the hazards. The controls that are documented in the RA feed into the training or method statement or standard operating procedure or safe system of work - all ways to communicate.
If evidence is required for defence or auditors then a documented training record indicating that they have received, understood and demonstrated they work to said MS, SOP, SSOW should suffice

Not a fan of getting employees to sign risk assessments as in true master/servant relationship from the employer/employee I would not hold out much hope of a signed risk assessment providing me with a due diligence defence.
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2011 15:55:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As I have said horses for courses
At our place we do mainly scientific work and you can’t just tell our staff to do something, it just does not work and you end up having to explain it all anyway, so we show them the risk assessments and get them to sign off that they have seen them.
The H&S team does not write the assessments, the scientists do it themselves within their teams and the signing off process simply confirms that they have seen them and had an opportunity to challenge the assessment. This nothing to do with covering our backside or dealing with liability.
Our friendly neighbourhood HSE inspector has said that he has very little interest in the risk assessments only in the outcomes, basically are the work practices safe.
MaxPayne  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2011 12:00:31(UTC)
MaxPayne

A Kurdziel wrote:
As I have said horses for courses
At our place we do mainly scientific work and you can’t just tell our staff to do something, it just does not work and you end up having to explain it all anyway, so we show them the risk assessments and get them to sign off that they have seen them.
The H&S team does not write the assessments, the scientists do it themselves within their teams and the signing off process simply confirms that they have seen them and had an opportunity to challenge the assessment. This nothing to do with covering our backside or dealing with liability.
Our friendly neighbourhood HSE inspector has said that he has very little interest in the risk assessments only in the outcomes, basically are the work practices safe.

Seeing them and understanding are two separate issues, and in my humble opinion wouldn't suffice as evidence to support the employers duty (as already stated by Ron Hunter) Reg 10 (Mgt Regs)
Barnard30831  
#13 Posted : 27 May 2011 12:41:23(UTC)
Barnard30831

Please ensure you read Dr Tony Boyle's Book on Health and Safety:risk management.

All Risk cant be eliminated and some need to be realised/accepted
Risk Assessment is a management tool
Significant finding need to be communicated: (Whatever medium you prefer; meetings; talks; notices;memos; face to face; telephone; e-mail; one to one; annual review etc)
Principles of prevention should be applied
You decide if your residual risk is "significant" in order to communicate (Low; med; high) and what additional controls need to be implemented. To ensure risk is as low as SFAR or practicable (PUWER Reg 11(2)) depeding. risk vs. cost argument etc. etc.
Then you provide information; instruction; and training depending on the residual risk complexity and severity in case of failure.

In all this legal moral financial aspect of H&S management it has become;
Liability claim adjusting.

Get on with some real work.

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2011 16:44:23(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Max
How do you KNOW anybody understands anything you say? We once did an induction for a new group of workers who nodded their heads and said everything was ok and then when they returned to their office 45 minutes later one of them got injured at which point they ran around like headless chickens until someone from another office showed them the First Aid procedure which had been explained to them less than an hour before!
The only way to be certain is to look at what they DO after they have seen the assessment done the training etc ie auditing and monitoring
Mark1969  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2011 22:32:41(UTC)
Mark1969

To answer your first post, this is what I have done previously that was subject to HSE FOD scrutiny and did pass muster.
Firstly conducted training for risk assessors to ensure that there was consistency across all my assessors. Drew up almost an instruction manual on how to complete the RA and what to look for etc, to supplement the 5 steps not take their place.
Once the RA was completed, agreed and signed off this was condensed to highlight the critical points, these were then placed on the machines or in the work areas concerned. The points from the RA were also included in work instructions and any other task related documents. I also had some high risk tasks and areas, the critical points for these were stencilled onto walls and the side of machines (HSE thought this was an excellent idea). As for training staff in RA findings this is only one part of getting the message across.
If you want any more details just PM me.
Al.  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2011 23:40:01(UTC)
Al.

A Kurdziel wrote:

How refreshing and how so very spot on. Safe place of work along with safe systems of work and an absence of reams of paperwork produced by people who quite frankly do not know what they are doing. It winds the clock back to the golden age of health and safety pre-1993 before the rot set in. SFAIRP was all that mattered then and it was all we needed. It is all we need now and the good HSE inspectors know it. The problem is that good inspectors are thin on the ground and many of today's inspectors as well as many safety practitioners have been brought up on reg 3 of MHSWR and cannot see much beyond it.

In my opinion there is a simple test. Anyone, be they from the HSE or be they a safety manager or other practitioner, who goes into a workplace and asks to see the records of the risk assessments is not competent. Risk assessment is just one means of getting to the end result which is a safe workplace and safe working practices. There are other means and it is the result which matters, not how we got there. Concentrate on whether your workplace is a safe place to work, and push into the background the records of the significant findings and the collecting of autographs.

A test of the Löfstedt review will be whether it dares point out how badly served we have been by regulation 3. I see reg 3 as being at the root of many of today's troubles in the world of health and safety. However it was absolutely fundamental to clinching an agreement on a harmonised health and safety system for the EU as it created common ground between our legal system with SFAIRP and the systems in the other member states. It was a legal fudge but it was a mistake and we have been paying the price ever since. However ditching it is probably nigh on impossible. One option could be for the HSE to review its guidance on risk assessment and scale right back the guidance on regulation 3 so as to send out a strong message that it is irrelevant to the h+s system in the UK. I dare them to do that. Will they rise to it? Unlikely. Instead we will have yet another review which just tinkers around the edges.
smart  
#17 Posted : 28 May 2011 13:20:42(UTC)
smart

First of all L.James 2010,well done that the Diploma is changing your attitude towards Safety in a more positive way and you can now understand that the systems we have in place are there to make the place of work safer for employees to work in. I have just completed my Diploma and i think you will find it is a well worth course to do.
Risk Assessments and Safe working Procedures are there for the workforce to use and they should be involved both at the implementation and reviewing stages of the process , their input will make them more user friendly and ensure that whats in the R/A and SSW are workable. I (Health and Safety)have my shift safety teams review 2 SSW and R/A each month as part of their monthly safety meetings. Involvement is the Key.
RayRapp  
#18 Posted : 28 May 2011 22:56:05(UTC)
RayRapp

'A test of the Löfstedt review will be whether it dares point out how badly served we have been by regulation 3. I see reg 3 as being at the root of many of today's troubles in the world of health and safety.'

al, I'm glad to see that someone has the good sense to highlight the problem with reg 3. When I commented the same on this forum a couple of years ago I was vilified by a number of posters - presumably fellow practitioners. I have also recently said elsewhere on these forums that formal risk assessments do little to enhance safety. The common response of those who know no better when asked a question - "do a risk assessment". Risk assessments have a limited used, but they are not the Philosopher's stone some obviously think they are. By way of an analogy it is a bit like saying "let's do what is reasonably practical", as if that helps solve the problem.
jay  
#19 Posted : 29 May 2011 17:19:42(UTC)
jay

The ACoP/Guidance to Regulation 3 of the Management Regulations is generic and as explained in the ACoP, the risk assessment need to be practical

Para 15 about "Risk assessment in practice" informs us that there are no fixed rules about how a risk assessment should be carried out and it will depend on the nature of the work or business and the types of hazards and risks.

Para 18 informs us about the general principles that should be followed, but also highlights explicitly that the risk assessment process needs to be practical .........

I use a process that is fit for our organisation (which we would have to do, irrespective of Regulation 3 as we have implemented an HSE Management System that also has "Risk Management/Assessment" as one of the requirements and in my opinion simply good practice. I consider it as good practice because the process enables us to consider all activities and focus/prioritise of higher risks.

More importantly, the text of Regulation 3 transposes Articles 6, 9 etc of the EU Framework Directive 89/391, therefore short of UK leaving the European Union, there is not much choice!

http://eur-lex.europa.eu...989L0391:20081211:EN:PDF

The compilation of a safe system of work itself is an aspect of risk "assessment/management", except that it is focused on control measures.

firesafety101  
#20 Posted : 29 May 2011 17:37:50(UTC)
firesafety101

You only have to look at the HSE example risk assessments to see the answer. They do not have a sign off sheet attached to any of their risk assesments.

However how otherwise can you prove the worker has read and understoon the ra.

IMO risk assessments should be carried out by the worker, or by a more knowledgable person with the worker in attendance.

I know some risk assessments are carried out back in the office with the worker at the sharp end never even seeing them.
Ciaran Delaney  
#21 Posted : 29 May 2011 17:58:21(UTC)
Ciaran Delaney

Chris, have to totally agree with the points you make in your post.
Ron Hunter  
#22 Posted : 30 May 2011 13:24:01(UTC)
Ron Hunter

And I have to almost entirely disagree.
firesafety101  
#23 Posted : 30 May 2011 14:40:25(UTC)
firesafety101

Ron, how would you recommend carrying out this regulation 10 other than showing the risk assessment to the employee/s?

Information for employees

10.—(1) Every employer shall provide his employees with comprehensible and relevant information on—

(a)the risks to their health and safety identified by the assessment;.

(b)the preventive and protective measures;.

(c)the procedures referred to in regulation 8(1)(a) and the measures referred to in regulation 4(2)(a) of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997;.

(d)the identity of those persons nominated by him in accordance with regulation 8(1)(b) and regulation 4(2)(b) of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997; and.

(e)the risks notified to him in accordance with regulation 11(1)(c)..

(2) Every employer shall, before employing a child, provide a parent of the child with comprehensible and relevant information on—

(a)the risks to his health and safety identified by the assessment;.

(b)the preventive and protective measures; and.

(c)the risks notified to him in accordance with regulation 11(1)(c)..

(3) The reference in paragraph (2) to a parent of the child includes—

(a)in England and Wales, a person who has parental responsibility, within the meaning of section 3 of the Children Act 1989(1), for him; and.

(b)in Scotland, a person who has parental rights, within the meaning of section 8 of the Law Reform (Parent and Child) (Scotland) Act 1986(2) for him.
Ron Hunter  
#24 Posted : 30 May 2011 16:05:03(UTC)
Ron Hunter

By providing comprehensible and relevant (key words, as opposed to "showing") information, instruction and training - none of which is provided by R/A. I refer you to previous posts here (myself and others) regarding misinterpretation of Reg 10.
You don't really expect me to wave a FRA in front of everyone in a 600+ occupancy building do you Chris?
My worry is that NEBOSH might be actually teaching this.
Sorry, Chris, looks like we differ here.
firesafety101  
#25 Posted : 30 May 2011 17:13:44(UTC)
firesafety101

Ron, I can see where you are going on this but fra is different to risk assessment for a task. Different requirement (rrfso v mhsw regs).

I suppose as long as all relevant information is passed on to all relevant employees then the risk assessment does not have to be seen. Where is the harm in showing the ra?

I would still make the ra available for anyone to look at if they choose to, just like I would a fire risk assessment.

Nothing to hide.
Ron Hunter  
#26 Posted : 30 May 2011 21:52:03(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Transparency, available and discoverable - yes. Method of compliance with Reg10 MHSWR - no.
pete48  
#27 Posted : 31 May 2011 05:24:10(UTC)
pete48

@LJames

The approach of getting employees to sign off on RA is often found where a confusion exists over the difference between identifying the essential H&S requirements of the work and ensuring that those who carry out the work are competent to do so. Employees can only be competent to carry out a task if they understand what they must do and how they must carry out the work in order to protect themselves and others. A formal risk assessment will not necessarily identify that in a manner that is useful and / or helpful for the employee.
A subsequent swp or procedure based on the hazards and controls identified in the risk assessment is and that is what should be used as the primary means to ensure safety at the workplace. OK if your RA is very simple and in practice also serves as the swp then signing off may be sensible but otherwise not. However, in my experience most ra that supposedly serve as swp are not s&s as risk assessments because they are simply different parts of a mgmt system.
The matter of competence to carry out work is achieved and measured through IITS and that is where any formal systems / records should be based.
You have identified the key matter of communication (and consultation as well hopefully) and this is indeed vital but the requirements for employee knowledge of / involvement in risk assessment have IMO been overplayed and mostly either misused or misunderstood.
That employees have an essential part to play is a given but how that is managed is what has gone off track. The expectation of and weight given to employee input is often totally disproportionate. In my view, the really important bit is that employees, or their reps, agree and support the risk defined swp as practicable, that it identifies the hazards and controls they already know from doing the work and any others that they have been briefed on or consulted about. This is different from carrying out the risk assessment and matches the comments from the HSE about the output being the important bit.
Free access to published risk assessments for employees should be the default position but no formal requirement to individually sign off.
None of this, of course, prevents an employer from using/involving employees as full time members of multi-discipline assessment teams or as stand alone workteams and then to get all relevant risk assessments signed off by every employee but I would argue strongly that it is not always the best way to encourage involvement, consultation and communication.
“Let’s agree how we do this safely or help me understand how we can do this safely” is a more common request than “why haven’t I seen the risk assessment”.

P48
cres  
#28 Posted : 31 May 2011 15:59:24(UTC)
cres

All this is very well but,

I know of Civil Cases within my company that have been lost or should I say not fought by the insurance company because the risk assessment has not been signed. So now although I completely understand that its what's within the risk assessment that must communicated by actions and words such as IIT but I'm being pushed to get them signed by 100's staff as our insurance company are insisting upon it?????

What I would call a No Win Situation

Cres
Ron Hunter  
#29 Posted : 31 May 2011 16:43:46(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Although generally sceptical regards LY Report, 'red tape challenge' and all that, I would entirely resist the notion that we manage H&S with a focus on litigation avoidance as opposed to protecting people from harm.
Stand up to those insurers - challenge them. Refer the matter to the Ombudsman if need be, but avoid this ludicrous jumping through hoops.
Only names I expect to see on R/A are those managing the process.
Watchy  
#30 Posted : 31 May 2011 17:00:19(UTC)
Watchy

Significant hazards gentlemen is the key. The RA is a tool to base your safe system around. Signing off a RA does not mean a thing. Show me what you did after you identified the signifcant hazards not a piece of paper with a signature.
cres  
#31 Posted : 31 May 2011 17:05:45(UTC)
cres

Oh I agree fully but I am a very small fish in a very very large Corporate Pond. I am in no position to protest unfortunately. However I will challenge it at local level and see if I can may be make some difference! However I doubt it.

HAY Ho ! Forever onwards.

Cres
JohnW  
#32 Posted : 31 May 2011 17:21:29(UTC)
JohnW

Generally I prepare or review risk assessments with a department supervisor or a very experienced operator. For a new RA, or if the RA changes, then the dept manager also reviews it. There are then three signatures placed on a hard copy.

The operators/staff in the department are then informed of the significant hazards and the controls through training and publication of either a method statement or an SOP, and often the SOPs are pictorial.

Rather than have operators read and sign an often technical RA document, their signatures appear on their training records.

That takes care of Reg 10 of MHSW. L21 para 64 says "The information provided should be pitched appropriately, given the level of training, knowledge and experience of the employee."

JohnW
David Bannister  
#33 Posted : 01 June 2011 11:07:37(UTC)
David Bannister

Cres, it is quite likely that the insurance buyer in your large pond is not aware of the operational difficulties being created by their choice of insurer. Tell them and suggest that this measure is unrealistic and unnecessary. It is quite likely that many in your shoal of small fish have the same problems but if they are not known about, cannot be addressed.
Ant Elsmore  
#34 Posted : 01 June 2011 13:20:22(UTC)
Ant Elsmore

LJames- I believe you need to clarify with your tutors if they mean Risk assessment as in Reg 3 of MHSWR “formal record of significant risk(s)assessment(s)” or do they mean Reg 10 of MHSWR whereby you have converted the identified risks into a Safe System of Work (through consultation communication and all the good stuff discussed above).

What should be happening is that each individual signs to acknowledge and accept personal responsibility for complying with the Safe System of Work as laid out by their employer for whatever task(s) they undertake- that will satisfy Reg 10 of MHSWR and provide the audit trail required by many insurers. It makes no difference as to the size of the organisation as everyone has a manager they report to who can facilitate this- until you get to the person who is in ultimate charge and responsible for everyone below anyway. In my experience this SSoW will inevitably include the full Reg 3 risk assessment somewhere within this document but it does not necessarily have to. The Reg 3 risk assessment must however be available within the company’s management system.

On a light hearted tangent- I do get worried when fellow safety bods talk about employees not understanding the content of risk assessments (even in their Reg 3 format). What do you guy’s put in them that is so incomprehensible?
Ron Hunter  
#35 Posted : 01 June 2011 15:06:57(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Ant Elsmore wrote:

What should be happening is that each individual signs to acknowledge and accept personal responsibility for complying with the Safe System of Work...

Why this thing about signatures all the time? This isn't necessary at all! There is a contract of employment, therefore everything else you mention follows implicitly?
JohnW  
#36 Posted : 01 June 2011 15:56:23(UTC)
JohnW

Ron, signatures, it's evidence that employees have reviewed the safe system of work, useful in court and also useful for BSC 5* and OHSAS....

Ant, content of risk assessments. Many are simple, some are not, depending on e.g. level of engineering requirement for interlocks, lifting operations etc. Engineers do criticise me if an RA is too simple. And, in my experience, operators are more responsive when reviewing MSs than RAs.
Ron Hunter  
#37 Posted : 01 June 2011 20:54:41(UTC)
Ron Hunter

'Evidence' that your people can make a mark on a piece of paper. Nothing more than that. Sorry, but I don't buy this bureaucracy stuff.
Ant Elsmore  
#38 Posted : 01 June 2011 21:38:39(UTC)
Ant Elsmore

Hi All, I’ve got to say this is the first thread in years I have felt the need to voice my thoughts on- great stuff.

I feel I should be more specific about the term “signature”. By this I mean some evidence specific to an individual that they can be identified by- alternatives I have come across include employee numbers- registration body numbers- CSCS card numbers- NI numbers- etc.

For me a “signature” in whatever form is the widest understood acknowledgement within society that an individual is agreeing to an expected set of conditions and are accepting to be governed by them.

Ron (much respect to you over the years so please take my comments in the manner they are intended). I’m not sure reading the whole thread where you stand on this topic…your comments on my post regarding signatures appears to contradict your opening post where you cite information/ instruction/ training as suitable ways to discharge your duty to inform employees of the significant findings of risk assessment. Would you not be taking signatures as a record of attendance? How else do you or anyone else know what IIT has been passed on and to whom?

My feeling is that signing a contract of employment (potentially a once in a lifetime event if the company is a good one) does not adequately discharge an employers duty to inform of risks as it makes no account of changes/ developments in SSoW beyond the date of this signature.

To explain my perspective- I work in the construction industry and EVERY organisation I have seen over the last 10 years operate “signature” driven SMS’s. By this I mean that competent persons draw up SSoW and sign to say they take overall management responsibility for it. Operatives then sign to acknowledge they understand the SSoW will operate within that SSoW. This is usually done as a group briefing exercise, and will be supplemented by tool box talk if things are going astray or if any section of the methodology changes.

All construction company SMS’s in my experience further largely rely on “signatures” to evidence all manner of H&S legislative requirements- PUWER inspections, WAH inspections, LOLER inspections, acceptance of Lifting plans… basically everything that happens on site. The basic premise being that if it isn’t signed by a competent person it didn’t happen. This is what the HSE demand when it goes wrong- How else can it be evidenced?

To All, I am genuinely intrigued as to how organisations can operate a functional SMS’s without asking the employees to sign (in the widest terms) to accept the conditions of the laid down SSoW as these are developed?

Back to the subject of incomprehensible risk assessments for a moment if I can- If the assessments relate to a persons job role I think we in the safety profession do many trades a disservice by underestimating their capacity to comprehend their own job roles. To use John W’s example if a competent person, about to undertake a Complex LOLER lift, cannot understand a the risk assessment then they shouldn’t be doing the task. That said the reverse is also true and you have to wonder how some very educated people make it across the road on their own!

No malice in any of my comments- just interested in others views.
pete48  
#39 Posted : 01 June 2011 22:34:16(UTC)
pete48

Ant, I share Ron's opinion on this topic. I think we are talking specifically about signing off on every risk assessment and not the value or meaning of a signature as such.
The worth of a signature (except those completing them) on a risk assessment (i.e not a SWP) i at best debatable and at worst a completely useless piece of bureaucracy.
My key points are:
-make sure we understand whether we are talking about a risk assessment or a safe working practice/procedure arising from the risk assessment.
-relate the decision about whether to require a signature to the company arrangements for IITS with regard to the tasks being carried out.
-robust systems for IITS set and maintain safety in the workplace and that is where individual records should be kept.

If we are talking about swp then my opinion changes more towards recognising the practice as a reasonable management practice. I have used it in a multiple factory based environment where it is easy to keep on top of/update. But there we used it to drive a task observation programme by teams signing off that the work was performed safely, correctly in accordance with the swp and that the swp was still valid. Proved very useful to be able to demonstrate that Fred knew what to do and how to do it. Much better than a simple signature on a two year old risk assessment!

p48
Ron Hunter  
#40 Posted : 01 June 2011 22:47:22(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Thanks for that Pete.
Aye Ant, I think I'm becoming even more cynical as the years roll on (What? you could get more cynical Ron?).

Default position is that a requirement for a signature ends up exactly the same as a "tick in the box".
'Why did you sign that?' 'Because I had to' (etc.)
I grant you there are particular high-risk permissioning regimes where the signatory does actually count for something.

As for training etc. I would take a register of attendance (not usually singatures, because many are unintelligible) not as a record of comprehension, rather to ensure that no-one in the workforce is missed out on important training or briefings.
The only true way to measure comprehension and adherence to information, instruction and training is via testing, supervision and monitoring.
To quote you back, Ant:
"For me a “signature” in whatever form is the widest understood acknowledgement within society that an individual is agreeing to an expected set of conditions and are accepting to be governed by them."
As I said above, in that context, every employee gives you a once-and-for-all when he accepts the contract of employment. Anything else is generally a duplication of that.

And don't get me started on CSCS cards.........