Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colin1984  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2011 10:33:26(UTC)
Colin1984

We were told last week that we were unable to hire 8 foot fork extensions due to new legislation. Can anyone up date on this, is this legisaltion or perhaps the companies new policy ? Thanks
MB1  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2011 11:18:17(UTC)
MB1

Not heard of any new legislation. I would expect though that you would need to ensure that the length will be affecting the swl etc and that the operator is sufficiently trained to use them as changes to characteristics will ensue?
Plant trainer  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2011 15:11:32(UTC)
Plant trainer

No changes in legislation that I'm aware of unless they are hiding behind the machinery supply regs which shouldn't have any bearing here.
Steve Sedgwick  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2011 19:51:08(UTC)
Steve Sedgwick

What is the source of this mis-information Steve
grim72  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2011 08:58:32(UTC)
grim72

Maybe contact the Fork Lift Truck Association for confirmation? http://www.fork-truck.org.uk I'm sure they would be happy to advise of any changes in legislation.
ivorheadache  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2011 13:46:53(UTC)
ivorheadache

Recommend getting the attachment from the forklift manufacturer as the truck will need to be re-rated (new load centres). The manufacturers would be up to speed with the regs.
JohnW  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2011 16:07:25(UTC)
JohnW

Colin1984 wrote:
We were told last week that we were unable to hire 8 foot fork extensions due to new legislation. Can anyone up date on this, is this legisaltion or perhaps the companies new policy ?
There is best practice / guidance / Brituish Standards but nothing new as 'legislation' as far as I know. 8 foot!!! That is I think 2.43 meters or 2430 mm. Now it's my understanding that when using FLT extensions the maximum allowable extension length is 40% of the parent fork arm blade. So your existing forks would need to be 1735mm which I don't expect they are, and with 2.43m there would be a very significant reduction in SWL depending where your new centre load is located (half the length of your load from the new fork tip). Anyway I believe the dimension limitations and the required markings for identification of fork externsions are laid out in British Standard BS IS013284:2003 Fork Lift Trucks, though I have never read it ;o) JohnW
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2011 17:51:39(UTC)
HSSnail

Colin Its not exactly new legislation but when undertaking the lolar thorough examination of lifting equipment to be used with a Fork Lift Truck it is supposed to include the truck with which it is being used. If these extensions were on short term hire perhaps its because they could not comply with lolar. I admit this is a shot in the dark and it could as others say just be company policy with the old "its against H&S" excuse. Brian
JohnW  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2011 10:07:52(UTC)
JohnW

JohnW wrote:
I believe the dimension limitations and the required markings for identification of fork externsions are laid out in British Standard BS IS013284:2003 Fork Lift Trucks, though I have never read it ;o)
Now I have, and it says,
Quote:
BS IS013284:2003 Fork Lift Trucks - "Fork Arm Extensions and Telescopic Fork Arms - Technical Characteristics and Strength Requirements. Key points:- * Minimum blade length for any fork arm to which an extension may be fitted is 750mm * Maximum allowable extension length is 40% of the parent fork arm blade Examples: Maximum fork arm extension length on a fork arm with 1000mm blade is 1400mm Maximum fork arm extension length on a fork arm with 1255mm blade is 2134mm Maximum fork arm extension length on a fork arm with 1800mm blade is 2520mm The following information must be supplied with each set of new fork arms: * Mounting instructions * Capacity rating and limitations of use * Periodic examination for wear or damage The following information is to be marked in a durable and legible manner on each set of fork arm extensions: * Manufacturers name * Serial number and year of manufacture * The rated capacity and load centre distance for the fork arm extension * The required blade cross section and minimum blade length for the parent are
JohnW  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2011 13:35:39(UTC)
JohnW

JohnW wrote:
I believe the dimension limitations and the required markings for identification of fork externsions are laid out in British Standard BS IS013284:2003 Fork Lift Trucks, though I have never read it ;o)
I have now checked part of the BS and it indicates that the maximum allowable extension length is 40% of the parent fork arm blade For example max fork arm extension length on a fork arm with 1000mm blade is 1400mm, max fork arm extension length on a fork arm with 1800mm blade is 2520mm JohnW
*Nicola*  
#11 Posted : 17 August 2011 19:50:22(UTC)
*Nicola*

Hello Not sure weather I can be of any help! We use fork extentions as and when required. Not ever heard of any new legislation changes. But if you are thinking of fork extentions on a reach truck or counterbalance you will obviously need to take into account the trucks safe working load due to the additional weight that would be attached. Your best bet is getting advice from the actual make of truck for example our trucks on site are Toyota any querys we have regarding suitable of truck attatchments or general truck advice they are there to help. You may need to review your risk assessments and safe working practices to incorpaorate use? Hope this was of help! Regards Nicola
Jim Tassell  
#12 Posted : 23 August 2011 15:17:29(UTC)
Jim Tassell

John W has the right point, although to describe it as either new or legislation (per se) is pushing it a bit. There's a very good reason for limiting fork extension length, which is the increase in stresses that it puts on the parent fork and the attachment of that to the mast, and hence right back into the specification of the truck. Colin - your first port of call should be your FLT supplier and their technical people. You could easily get into difficult territory here. And I hate to think how different the handling of a truck will be with a load perched out on 8ft forks - definitely not something for the ill-trained bandit driver.
EP Machinery  
#13 Posted : 24 October 2024 08:03:25(UTC)
EP Machinery

Forklift Telescoping Boom, Also Known As A Telescopic Boom Lift Or A Telescoping Forklift, Is A Specialized Type Of Forklift Equipped With An Extendable And Retractable Boom. This Versatile Tool Transforms A Regular Forklift Into A More Capable Machine, Making It Suitable For A Variety Of Tasks.

Telescoping Forklift Boom  Is Essential Tools Across Various Industries, Providing Versatility And Efficiency In Lifting And Moving Heavy Loads. The Extendable Forklift Enhances Operational Capabilities, Making Them Valuable Assets In Construction, Agriculture, Warehousing, And More.

Forklift Telescoping Boom

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2024 08:39:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

EP Machinery 

This is is clickbait/advertising  and as such not allowed and so reported

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 24/10/2024(UTC)