Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2012 14:39:30(UTC)
firesafety101

Is anyone willing to share a template or sample of designer's risk assessments? Or just point me in the right direction to an Internet site. The construction work is an apartment block with balconies and it is the actual designer's risk assessments i want not the construction work. Many Thanks
SP900308  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2012 14:49:26(UTC)
SP900308

Firesafety, Designers risk assessment is old money. You should be looking at designers health and safety considerations. I'd personally look for a CDM risk register to be used as an iterative management tool. A good one would follow the ERIC Model and include a justifications / reasons for decision mechanism. I'm not sure why you are asking for this - is your company undertaking a design role / are you reviewing designers considerations?
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:10:16(UTC)
firesafety101

Designers risk assessments are still required by CDM. It is asments of any risks related to what the designer is designing. Also any risks that will be present in the premises once occupied. The CDM C hasissued his design risk register with requirements for all duty holders to provide their own assessments, as directed in the risk register. I think it is a good idea. I know what to do and how to do it, I just thought that byasking here somebody would have a template to share. Thanks for your guidance sp900308
SP900308  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:24:22(UTC)
SP900308

Firesafety, WRT your first sentence, I draw your attention to the HSE's 2007 training package on CDM with the slogan 'just say no to thoughtless DRA' Is this the first time your company has produced / been asked to produce designers health and safety considerations?
Chris Cahill  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:38:56(UTC)
Chris Cahill

Designers do not need to provide risk assessments or details of residual risks relating to common risks that competent contractors will be aware of. Designers do need to provide information about residual risks that relate to significant issues that competent contractors and others need to know so that they can work safely and without risk to health on a structure in future (Design risk management) Also please note that any designers accepting an appointment is required under CDM2007 regulations to be competent so surely your designers would have this template? There is no legal requirement on designers under CDM2007 to keep records of any process through which they achieved a safe design but of course it is useful to record why certain key decisions were made.
firesafety101  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2012 15:50:06(UTC)
firesafety101

Thank you Chris that saved me from writing it out. CDM ACOP PARA 112 >>>>>>>>>>
achrn  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2012 16:28:43(UTC)
achrn

Firesafety101 wrote:
Designers risk assessments are still required by CDM.
CDM has never required designers to produce a document that is a designer's risk assessment. They have been required to assess the risks (in order to reduce it if appropriate, or assess if they have reduced it), but not to produce designer risk assessments. We use a 'Record of CDM Review' form. It's mostly empty space (or 'free form entry', if you prefer that term). First block of the form is identifying stuff: project number / project name / review number / review date A block for general information with slots for: + Description of Project or Element: + Design Principles: + Key Construction, Operation, Maintenance and Decommissioning Activities: Then the main block is 'Hazard and Mitigating Action to be taken', each item written in needs to be categorised as whether it is a Construction, Operation, Maintenance, Decommissioning, or Environmental hazard, and the action required is categorized as ERIC (though as designers we generally don't ever C, but everyone knows ERIC so the form says ERIC), and there's a slot for dating when our action is complete. But apart from the space for COMDE, the space for ERIC, and the slot for a date, it's just an empty space. Final block is signatures. We have a project management procedure that requires the register that's assembled from the forms to be reviewed at least each time the project has a formal design review. The system is worked on paper or on computers, according to the Project Engineer's preference. Anything that's I of ERIC on the register is added to the project drawings. The Record of CDM Review register is generally not issued (but if someone wants it, we do issue it - but there's lots of irrelevance on it - why does someone need paper telling them that at some stage of the design there was a particular hazard but there isn't any more because we eliminated it so it doesn't exist).
Chris Cahill  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2012 20:07:47(UTC)
Chris Cahill

Firesafety101 wrote:
Thank you Chris that saved me from writing it out. CDM ACOP PARA 112 >>>>>>>>>>
With respect perhaps it would be of benefit if you familiarize yourself with the ACOP
firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2012 21:40:24(UTC)
firesafety101

Chris is that directed at me? para 114 - includes the words "which require risk assessment". If that is not a requirement for risk assessment what is? I am very familiar with the ACOP but some people on here think they know it all but they don't. As I always say "you don't know what you don't know". I only asked for a little help, I wish I hadn't bothered now :-(
Chris Cahill  
#10 Posted : 25 May 2012 22:35:11(UTC)
Chris Cahill

Firesafety101 I apologise if that came over a little harsh, I merely meant to state that the info is in the ACOP and readily available. The written word sometimes lose the way in which they are intended
firesafety101  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2012 00:41:23(UTC)
firesafety101

OK Chris no worries, cheers, enjoy the weekend
Stedman  
#12 Posted : 26 May 2012 16:07:39(UTC)
Stedman

Firesafety, Although designers have Regulation 11 duties, if you do a word search in the ACOP there is no such thing as Designer Risk Assessments. It is simply down to the designer to provide adequate information about any significant risks associated with the design and some designers will simply communicate this information via their drawings. Yes the designer would have undertaken a DRA process to identify any significant risk associated with their design, but they are not required to show how this has been achieved.
firesafety101  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2012 17:58:47(UTC)
firesafety101

We and I talk about "required to" or "not required to" on this forum. The CDM-C has provided a comprehensive risk assessment sheet with requirements for the Designer and PC. This includes requirements for risk assessments by the Designer. Do the CDM-Cs among us have a view on that as there is no requirement in the ACOP for CDM-C to do that?
Stedman  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2012 21:37:51(UTC)
Stedman

Firesafety, As a CDM-C, can I assure you that Regulation 11 does not require designers to provide Design Risk Assessments, but only the residual information. Look at paragraphs 125 to 134 of the ACOP there is nothing which requires the designer to provide a Designer Risk Assessment and as a CDM-C I certainly would not prepare one.
Ron Hunter  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2012 00:20:37(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Firesafety101 wrote:
The CDM-C has provided a comprehensive risk assessment sheet with requirements for the Designer and PC. This includes requirements for risk assessments by the Designer.quote] Perhaps the issue here is the competency of the CDM-C then. This is either lazy or a bureaucratic nonsense approach by the CDM-C.
firesafety101  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2012 20:13:30(UTC)
firesafety101

Thank you
achrn  
#17 Posted : 30 May 2012 10:23:29(UTC)
achrn

stedman wrote:
Firesafety, As a CDM-C, can I assure you that Regulation 11 does not require designers to provide Design Risk Assessments, but only the residual information. Look at paragraphs 125 to 134 of the ACOP there is nothing which requires the designer to provide a Designer Risk Assessment and as a CDM-C I certainly would not prepare one.
And further, I would suggest looking at the 6th and 7th questions at http://www.hse.gov.uk/co...n/cdm/faq/designers.htm, which includes (inter alia): "If a designer is complying with regulation 11 of the CDM Regulations, then, as the design is worked through to completion, any hazards will be eliminated and residual risks (to those who may be affected by them) reduced, so far as is reasonably practicable. This is, in effect, the application of risk assessment to the design. There is no legal requirement for a risk assessment to be in writing or recorded, however, regulation 3(6)(a) of MHSWR does require the significant findings of the assessment to be recorded where an employer employs five or more people. In terms of design, the significant findings of the assessment will be the finished design, together with all relevant drawings and any accompanying notes." Noting especially "There is no legal requirement for a risk assessment to be in writing or recorded", and that the design deliverables (drawings, notes etc) are the recording of the risk assessment process. I find this to be the most common failing of CDM-Cs (which is not to say all, or even most, CDM-Cs are wrong, merely that the ones that are wrong are most commonly wrong on this point) - there is no requirement to deliver a designers risk assessment document. I've been in a meeting with the client and a CDM-C who stated that the only possible way for a designer to satisfy their duties under CDM was to provide a DRA to the CDM-C for the CDM-C to check. Really, what do you do when the supposed expert states that in a meeting to the client?