Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Adams900085  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2012 13:38:16(UTC)
Adams900085

I am looking at doing the NEBOSH Diploma via distance learning, I have been recommended SHIELDS (http://www.sheilds.org), does anyone have any other recommendations for companies that provide similar courses please?
Swygart25604  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2012 15:06:40(UTC)
Swygart25604

Good luck with distance learning. From many people I have spoken to over the course of doing this day-release, distance learning is definitely not the preferred option. The subject matter is too vast to have a good understanding of many subjects from a self-study perspective. Be sure to hammer the tutors on the end of the phone when needed. Am currently finishing Unit A myself and we are using RRC Training's books for that. Having done B & C, the classic books for those were just too unwieldy, and so if book content is anything to go by for what you need to know for both syllabus and exam, RRC looks good. Can't comment on anything else, though. Good luck with your studies.
Argyll  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2012 21:22:16(UTC)
Argyll

While I have not undertaken the NEBOSH Diploma, I have being pursuing two Masters degrees via onlne learning for more than four years now. As Swygart rightly states, distance/online learning is certainly not for everyone. Having said that, for me it was/is the only option, and if you can to the extent required rearrange your life around your studies (at least for a while), and are disciplined enough to walk down the hall to that little study room night after night, when at times you would most definitely want to do something else, you will succeed. Good luck with your studies!
Lawlee45239  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2012 09:53:46(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Adams900085 wrote:
I am looking at doing the NEBOSH Diploma via distance learning, I have been recommended SHIELDS (http://www.sheilds.org), does anyone have any other recommendations for companies that provide similar courses please?
DONT DO IT......not the course itself but distance learning. I am currently doing IEMA distance learning and I wish I didnt. I had a great timetable that initally I stuck to, but then with work, and a child and school and home etc etc etc Its not going to plan at all. If you can just do the block course in one hit. Best of luck with it either way...
firestar967  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2012 13:30:19(UTC)
firestar967

I did the RRC distance learning and completed the diploma in two years, the material I was supplied was very good. If I had the choice I don't think I would have chosen the distance learning option but my circumstancies dictated that I did. End of the day I passsed, so it is a viable option.
Adams900085  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2012 09:10:03(UTC)
Adams900085

Thanks to all that have replied on the subject of distance learning, this is all really very useful hearing from people that have actually done it and I have to say, all achieved their goal, and I am definately in the camp of my circumstances dictating this distance learning option, and having done a management qualification via a similar route, it does suit my learning style. So thanks again! I will keep you posted!
Kate  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2012 11:57:05(UTC)
Kate

It's very true that distance learning isn't for everyone - previous experience will certainly help. I agree with Firestar's comments about RRC.
Safety butterfly  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2012 16:27:08(UTC)
Safety butterfly

Just to add my thoughts, I have recently finished a tutored course for Fire safety and risk management which used the RRC material. It was very easy to understand. I am also looking into starting my National diploma very soon and I too are in the same camp as Adams and having to do this by distance learning, I will be using RRC when my "piggy bank" is fat enough. Good luck !
Geoff Dale  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2012 17:33:49(UTC)
Geoff Dale

I also did the Diploma via distance learning with Integra at Sunderland, but I ended up using the RRC programmed to pass online revision for A and B, these modules were a great help to me. It took me two years but the end result was worth it. Personally I think I would have struggled to cram all the studying and revision into a shorter space of time what with work and family commitments. Good luck with whatever route you take.
colinp55  
#10 Posted : 26 June 2012 23:35:17(UTC)
colinp55

I agree with everyone else, RRC is really good. I did the certificate and passed with a good grade which is unlike me!! Not sure about the diploma but I know it is very difficult to get so you have to be disciplined. I decided to go down the masters degree route via distance learning and start that in September but I suspect that it won't be much of a picnic either. Best of luck with whatever route you decide to go on.
Theresem  
#11 Posted : 27 June 2012 12:09:21(UTC)
Theresem

Hi - I'm currently doing the diploma e-learning with ACT associates. I'm finding it really hard. I did my certificate at college and that seemed to be more focussed. I have my unit A exam on tuesday and am not sure how prepared I am. They offer revision classes but at an added cost and quite a distance to travel. The other consideration is where your course provider is based - that will be nearby where you do your exams, so another unforecast cost of travel and hotel. As you've done e-learning before you'll breeze through it Good luck with your choices
jimanji  
#12 Posted : 27 June 2012 13:09:57(UTC)
jimanji

Hi. i have just completed the NEBOSH diploma in 18 months with RRC training. I found the literature fantastic and help is always available via phone or email. The advantage in conducting your studies over time is you can start to implement that particular unit between exams which are six months apart. I found this was a great way to study... practice what you preach.... remember exams are only one part of being a successful practioner... how you deliver that knowledge in day to day work is what really counts and protects both business and lives.
Kate  
#13 Posted : 28 June 2012 08:21:01(UTC)
Kate

The e*@m venue isn't necessarily near the provider's HQ - mine was local.
samuelkoffie  
#14 Posted : 07 July 2012 06:39:54(UTC)
samuelkoffie

I have just completed my Nebosh Diploma through distance learning with Sheilds in 10 months. Whilst the support is not too good (and I didn't even need it), their materials are great. That said, I know of people who have been struggling with the distance learning. It all depends on you, have a plan and follow it though. Also, I have heard Phoenix have some great support and materials and they actually guarantee a pass. Have a look http://www.phoenixhsc.co.uk/
Ekaji Trust  
#15 Posted : 07 July 2012 10:06:28(UTC)
Ekaji Trust

Distance learning is only for those who want to study at their own pace. I am currently doing the distance learning through a course provider ATM and the materials i got from them were absolutely helpful in the exams. Their online assistance program is also very fantastic.
decimomal  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2012 09:55:58(UTC)
decimomal

I did supported distance learning that included tutorials for each of the modules. Not ideal, but worked for me. This question has been raised a number of times - have a look at the study forum for previous discussions.
kdrum  
#17 Posted : 10 July 2012 14:14:59(UTC)
kdrum

Adam I also completed my Diploma last year via supported distance learning through Integra at University of Sunderland, using the RRC notes and it is hard going. I think it very much depends on what suits you as an individual and other committments. I had personal issues around family and had to take a break part way through and that didn't make it any easier but the end result is worth it and my young daughter and I really enjoyed the Graduation ceremony 2 weeks ago - that made the hard work worthwhile. What ever route you chose - good luck