Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew Bober  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2012 09:12:56(UTC)
Andrew Bober

I'm presently reformatting our risk assessment forms - both as a word document and an excel with risk matrix calculated for entry - however, this got me thinking.

Are there any other practitioners out there who have worked up an Access Database for Risk Assessments?

I was thinking that this may be a useful tool but rather than spend the next four months working on something to discover that it isn't I thought I'd pitch the question out there to others.

With those who have experience with this I'd like to know the pros and cons they have faced with it's delivery? Also what sectors they have delivered this in?

Andrew Böber CMIOSH FRSPH FRGS

chris42  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2012 10:19:08(UTC)
chris42

Possibly not quite what you are suggesting, but I did create a database (Not access, but similar), it didn’t have the risk assessment in it as raw information, but linked to the word document. This made finding a specific assessment very easy and allowed revision control / review control. All our management system documents etc were stored in an electronic format, though there were some documents on the shop floor in hard copy (also noted in database to allow version control).

I don’t see the advantage of having something calculate eg 2X3 for you. However depending on what you use the matrix information for, you could use this info ( especially if you calc before and after controls) to help search / list those with high risk ratings before controls, which could be used as a hit list for changing processes to eliminate these risks rather than control them. There was a recent thread on this very topic though, with mixed opinions (unsurprisingly) on the use of calculated ratings.

If you have the information in Excel at the moment, you should be able to save some time from your estimate by transferring the info directly from Excel to Access. (put all RA’s in one spreadsheet and then transfer).

What advantage do you expect to gain ?
Kate  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2012 12:04:04(UTC)
Kate

I've done one for COSHH risk assessments which I did find helpful in relating a mass of information together when implementing an assessment programme. It's important to get the design of your underlying tables right so that they relate to each other logically and you can pull out the information you need in a useful format, and above all, to know what you want to get from it. At the time I'd just studied a SQL course which was really helpful in understanding how to design the database properly. If the design isn't right from the start, you can get very lost.
Andrew Bober  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2012 12:12:41(UTC)
Andrew Bober

chris42 wrote:

What advantage do you expect to gain ?

Working in Education Sector we have multiple industries across different geographical locations - 900 staff around 12000 students. My thinking was if by bringing the risk assessments into a single shared database - or indeed ones which are run within their own areas - then the reviewing process and monitoring would be easier for the managers and assessors.

I'm aware of some colleges/uni's using databases by uncertain if commercial bought - in which case may be limiting due to their more generic nature - or developed in-house.

B
Andrew Bober  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2012 12:13:46(UTC)
Andrew Bober

Kate wrote:
I've done one for COSHH risk assessments which I did find helpful in relating a mass of information together when implementing an assessment programme. It's important to get the design of your underlying tables right so that they relate to each other logically and you can pull out the information you need in a useful format, and above all, to know what you want to get from it. At the time I'd just studied a SQL course which was really helpful in understanding how to design the database properly. If the design isn't right from the start, you can get very lost.

We are using SYPOL which has proved to be fab for COSHH assessments. Well worth the investment.

B
chris42  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2012 13:12:40(UTC)
chris42

We also had sypol, which I incorporated into the database. Effectively the system consisted of a number of relational databases and acted like a browser to locate and open various documents. Our entire management system was in it, every procedure , instruction, document, risk assessment, environmental impact assessment, COSHH assessment and policy.

I was not so impressed with Sypol, but I didn't have time to do this myself and was implemented by a predecessor so was a bit stuck with it. For some I'm sure Sypol would be good.

As Kate suggests, get the database design right from the start.

Andrew Bober  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2012 11:08:40(UTC)
Andrew Bober

What I'm curious about though is if anyone is using a database for geenral workplace risk assessment.

B
Clark34486  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2012 11:22:46(UTC)
Clark34486

Yes I have, I work in the university sector, have aligned our RA for OHSAS18001;

format
guidance
basic generic etc.

this is then up-loaded to 'share point' IT system and national 'u drive'
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 30 July 2012 11:38:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Andrew Bö Go to Quoted Post
What I'm curious about though is if anyone is using a database for geenral workplace risk assessment.

B

We use Workbench which is essentially document control software to manage our risk assessments. We operate labs and things and we have hundreds of the things and there is no way to manage them centrally if we were to rely on a paper based system. By having a database we can:
1. Make them accessible to everybody
2. Make sure that staff sing them off as read
3. Review then regularly
sadlass  
#10 Posted : 30 July 2012 22:16:38(UTC)
sadlass

My view is that the whole approach to assessing, and managing, risk in your organisation needs a reality check, if you are resorting to trying to manage copious quantities of 'forms' by a complex database.

Assessing risk is not about producing forms.

SNS  
#11 Posted : 30 July 2012 22:23:49(UTC)
SNS

sadlass wrote:
My view is that the whole approach to assessing, and managing, risk in your organisation needs a reality check, if you are resorting to trying to manage copious quantities of 'forms' by a complex database.

Assessing risk is not about producing forms.

Agreed that it is not about loads of paper / electric copies, however, when the inspector calls they expect a trail to follow.

When setting up your system try to avoid overwriting the old assessments without archiving a copy for the trail - get difficult to quantify what improvements have been made with little or no prior history.

Access to the information is also a key requirement - same as paper copies locked in filing cabinets do no good whatsoever.

Rgds,
S
Seabee81  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2012 11:15:40(UTC)
Seabee81

Yes there are defiantly advantages in setting up an electronic RA database.

I set up a simple risk assessment register using a spreadsheet, with the risk assessments linked to the word documents. I then made it available through the intranet so that all users have access to the latest revisions of the RA. I found it easier to do it this way than try and keep paper folders in multiple locations updated. It also allows me to keep a thorough revision record with old assessments easily archived. It looks a lot better too, if you get audited you can pull up the register and easily produce your RAs. It looks much better than pulling a dusty folder off a shelf.

Of course the risk assessments are for reference only and I don't expect people to rely solely on generic RAs.

You can use a spreadsheet to calculate risk criticality if you want to factor in risk manageability etc. It works well if you are using a more complex matrix, like a risk register for example, but is not really necessary for a standard 5x5 matrix.
aud  
#13 Posted : 31 July 2012 17:04:16(UTC)
aud

Seabee81 - I love to see 'defiant advantages'. What a great typo!

SNS: I have yet to be asked by HSE for a trail to follow on RA. Assuming the appropriate management systems are in place and working, how these came to be, is surely irrelevant to the Inspector, UNLESS there was a clear ommission at the sharp end. Improvements over time may be something the organisation (and you) want to quantify, but the inspector would look for 'as is' against the required standard.

In a large & complex organisation I would consider a web-based document management system, enabling all managers to upload their own material, and also able to view other documents. With a database, who would 'own' it? As pointed out, access (pardon pun) is required by all.