Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OVERWORKED&UNDERPAID  
#1 Posted : 25 February 2013 09:27:07(UTC)

Hi all,

I had some debate with my colleagues on Friday about when to apply a WAH permit. The regs state ' i believe' that a PTW should be issued for all WAH activity.

However, this is not practicable given that we walk up and down raised fixed platforms many times a day to access parts of equipment i.e. to fill shoots with product etc. Therefore a WAH PTW would be way over the top especially given that all platforms are fitted with fixed handrails.

My dilemma is how to word when and when not a WAH PTW is applicable?

Some guidance would be appracited.

Regards

OW&UP
teh_boy  
#2 Posted : 25 February 2013 09:55:34(UTC)
teh_boy

OK - there is no answer, it's all down to good risk assessment and circumstances - however a system I implemented...

any-work > 1.5m (potential falling distance) that is not on a dedicated platform offering full edge protection = permit to work
(note all maintenance work = PTW anyway!)

any-work <1.5m = WAH considered within risk assessment.

That was after massive arguments with insurers who wanted permit to work for ALL WAH - including using a 30cm step on the back of a machine! (and they say the world has gone mad?)

Hope that helps?

hilary  
#3 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:07:08(UTC)
hilary

I would tend to complete a PTW for any contractor not familiar with our organisation or any work of a non-standard nature. The rest would be covered by risk assessment.

So, if going up and down raised fixed platforms day in day out is the normal task, this should be covered by a risk assessment, training, supervision, competence, etc. However, if this work at height by your staff is out of the ordinary, then a PTW would be used.

To give an example on our site .....

Welders can weld to their hearts content in the welding bay - that is their normal job within their normal environment, they have a risk assessment, they are trained and competent. However, if I want welding done somewhere else in the plant to help maintenance out for example, then our trained, qualified welders will need to be issued with a PTW because although it is their normal job, it is not in their normal place of work.

I hope that makes sense.
OVERWORKED&UNDERPAID  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:09:08(UTC)

Thnaks Tehboy,

Ok, how would manage access to plant that is via a fixed metal ladder with full metal circle edge protection?

I am just thinking of trying to remove as much riggle room from my policy as possible.
damelcfc  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:09:08(UTC)
damelcfc

A PTW should be used to put extra controls around an identified high risk activity.
Simply writing a PTW for all WAH activities could lead to an undervaluing of your system and it becoming a paper filling in exercise.

Don't end up doing things for doing things sake (unless of course all of your WAH is high risk!).

The lower risk WAH (that you will have to define yourself locally) could be effectively managed better than a PTW everytime.
Kate  
#6 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:10:25(UTC)
Kate

The WAH regs do not even mention permits, let alone state that they must be used. What they do require, is a risk assessment.
OVERWORKED&UNDERPAID  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:37:15(UTC)

Cheers all,
boblewis  
#8 Posted : 25 February 2013 10:47:52(UTC)
boblewis

Kate is absolutely correct - no regulatory requirement.

Permts are for high risk works where specific controls must be put in place that cannot be otherwise controlled in general terms.

Bob
teh_boy  
#9 Posted : 25 February 2013 12:56:10(UTC)
teh_boy

Originally Posted by: OVERWORKED& Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Tehboy,

Ok, how would manage access to plant that is via a fixed metal ladder with full metal circle edge protection?

I am just thinking of trying to remove as much wriggle room from my policy as possible.

Ladders to 'high risk' areas locked off and requiring a permit maybe?
Regular access ladders - depend on M/C risk assessment / rely on signage?
That's how it was done on the Chemical plants.

really difficult without spending a day on your plant :)

P.S. To all other posters:
I have assume ladders are considered in the plant risk assessment, and training, inspection, maintenance
is considered.
I read the question as being about practical implementable of system and experience with these, not the requirements of the law

boblewis  
#10 Posted : 25 February 2013 20:48:02(UTC)
boblewis

teh boy

The opening paragraph made the incorrect assumption and thus all remaining parts were based on a false premise.

Yes lock out systems can be part of a SSOW but that does not necessarily equate to a permit. We do need to break away from some of these over bureaucratic ideas.

Bob
Canopener  
#11 Posted : 26 February 2013 11:44:52(UTC)
Canopener

I don't think that there is ANY statutory requirement for any PTW (happy to be wrong though) although it is mentioned in both the ACoP and guidance in L101 for confined spaces working.

I would agree with those posters though, that a PTW would normally only be required for specific HIGH risk activities (such as some hot works, confined spaces, electrical isolation, complex maintenance tasks) and where it is NECESSARY to reinforce the SSOW in order to 'achieve safety'.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the fact that ALL maintenance requires a PTW and I would have thought that most WAH could be achieved' safely' without resorting to PTW. Like others there is a risk of creating paperwork and 'devaluing' the PTW system.

Do you NEED a PTW in order to control the risks? If not, save time and effort!