Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Haworth900143  
#41 Posted : 14 December 2012 10:25:36(UTC)
Haworth900143

Hi I have had 4 enquiries, 1 resulted in some work, and one will maybe lead to some work. I have been on the register since it started but i think i will continue as I feel it gives me credibility.
edblanchard  
#42 Posted : 31 January 2013 15:15:05(UTC)
edblanchard

It might now be prudent to continue the debate on this topic. The majority of forum users are also IOSH members and will have been able to read the article "OSHCR - 2 years on" in the January edition of SHP. Those who are also registered consultants will have received the electronic "Consultants' Newsletter". (This is the first newsletter that I've received.) I would now like to re-pose the question (see title) taking into consideration the SHP article and newsletter.
Jake  
#43 Posted : 31 January 2013 17:09:50(UTC)
Jake

Being an inhouser' rather than consultant I didn't pay too much attention to OSHCR, but I did read the article you’ve referred to. In answer to the OP question, I guess the question is answered with another question, what was it designed for? and what was it promoted as? The comments on this thread by and large are reviewing the suitability of the OSHCR as a means to gain business, was this it's intention? Or was it intended from the flip-side, as a tool for SME owners to tap-into, and which case judging the success should be the other way (i.e. how well is it promoted (not well it seems..) and the overall uptake from SMEs (no idea how you'd measure this)). From a personal point of view, such schemes rarely work well unless they are made mandatory. If that were made the case (which is almost impossible given the scope of OHS, but could be achieved with alot of ground work) and it was promoted properly (and actions taken for businesses using non-registered consultants e.g. in gas works) then it would make a difference. It's like the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, almost pointless untill it's made mandatory (despite the attempted hyperbole from the powers-that-be) (it's upto the business if they display their certificate, therefore those that perform poorly don't and the average consumer is non-the-wiser).
Betta Spenden  
#44 Posted : 31 January 2013 22:36:03(UTC)
Betta Spenden

I have only been on the register a few months and already got loads of nibbles and interest. Count me in for next year please Mrs Wembley, I’ll have some more of that again. It’s a shame they don’t do photos on the register. A neat little “swish” picture of me in my tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, a clip-on tweed tie, corduroy trousers, yellow rimmed bi-focal safety sunglasses, red-heeled anti-static safety boots, and reversible hi-vis jacket (yes reverseable, as worn by none other than the RAF Police themselves in personage) would just make all of the Ladies go weak at the knees. Oh and not forgetting the wearing of the Mark 7 safety hard hat, with built in pencil holder and baldy patch air vents. Oh yes please nurse, that would seal it. £60 well spent IMO. Crack on.
edblanchard  
#45 Posted : 19 March 2013 16:24:36(UTC)
edblanchard

My membership of OSHCR expires on 31/03/2013 - less than 2 weeks away. I haven't received a reminder yet. I wonder whether any other registrant has please? Perhaps the organisers have been reading this thread and/or the article in January's SHP. Any other views please?
KieranD  
#46 Posted : 20 March 2013 09:21:34(UTC)
KieranD

'Chartered psychologists', with current membership of the British Psychological Society, became eligible for inclusion on the OSHCR on 1.11.2013. Eligbility includes all chartered psychologists and not only those who are members of the Division of Occupational Psychology. The standard basis of inclusion on the register of chartered psychologists now includes three-years postgraduate supervised practice and a postgraduate degree. A modest number of C Psychols have registered on the OSHCR.
blodwyn  
#47 Posted : 20 March 2013 14:50:59(UTC)
blodwyn

Ed I have had no reminder to date but will not be taking up their kind offer even when it does come in. Whilst some feel it gives them credibility I still am not convinced the general populace knows it even exists and until I see rip roaring recommendations from my fellow consultants on this forum that suddenly the work is pouring in (surely someone is doing really well out of it...???) my ££s will be staying firmly in my pocket. I appreciate the pain of re-entry will be great should I decide to go back on - but if by then people are feeling it is a great tool - that pain is then ok by me!
Victor Meldrew  
#48 Posted : 20 March 2013 15:05:53(UTC)
Victor Meldrew

Ironically had my first call as a result of a prospective client using OSHCR this morning - money involved is hardly likely to light up the world, but after deciding to 'chuck it in', I'm now having second thoughts about renewing this. Has sown a few seeds of doubt. I don't know, case of damned if you do & damned if you don't I reckon.
edblanchard  
#49 Posted : 27 March 2013 15:45:19(UTC)
edblanchard

What a surprise? I've literally just received another, electronic, OSHCR newsletter. I'm sure that other registered consultants have also. It looks as though the organisers are taking our concerns and criticisms on board. I welcome the views of other registered consultants please. It seems we are being given a few weeks grace as the organisers haven't got round to asking for further subs yet. I'm thinking about renewing for another year, it might be worthwhile. Again what do others think please?
Victor Meldrew  
#50 Posted : 27 March 2013 16:03:38(UTC)
Victor Meldrew

Think it may be worth another 'punt' ed. Interesting thought though relating to registration & CPD, at the bottom of the newsletter it states; "Please ensure that your CPD record is up to date before renewing your OSHCR registration. If your CPD is not up to date, this will delay your renewal application. Your professional body will be required to confirm your CPD record is up to date, as part of your eligibility conditions to stay on the register". With the current issues with the IOSH CPD system, will there be a problem for some individuals?
Ellam37704  
#51 Posted : 17 April 2013 07:36:14(UTC)
Ellam37704

I received the email requesting renewal, and after much consideration, decided to give it one more chance. However, I found out that during the renewal process you are "temporarily" removed from the register whilst your credentials are verified! This is ridiculous when membership is 12 months and I was renewing within that time. This is yet another crazy part of this system. Also note that if your CPD isnt up to date, even if your 12 months hasnt expired you would still be "removed" until obviously youve updated. Like other members, all Ive received is Spam. Unless something changes dramatically this will be my last year on it, I suspected it was a solution trying to find a problem when it first started, Im getting more convinced it is.
peter gotch  
#52 Posted : 18 April 2013 12:56:13(UTC)
peter gotch

Like Ellam, temporarily removed but to be fair to OSHCR and IOSH, only for a few hours.
edblanchard  
#53 Posted : 05 July 2013 17:37:06(UTC)
edblanchard

I think it will be interesting to re-open the debate on this, yet again. In mid’ May I received a reminder that my registration was due for renewal. It actually lapsed nearly a month ago but I’ve got until about 10th July in which to renew. A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread, on this Forum, indicating my availability for work and this prompted a surprising turn of events. A moderator (and I’ve no intention of indulging in “mod bashing”) initially removed my thread because he considered that I was advertising a business. I had stated that I was on the OSHCR. Upon checking with IOSH they explained that the facility to indicate availability, via this Forum, was intended for unemployed members. Their rules are that a consultant has a business and therefore cannot be unemployed. Prior to entering the H&S profession I spent a few years managing Unemployment Benefit Offices. I’m not sure how current social security legislation defines “unemployed”. I can recall a time when self-employed persons could be included, where it could be shown they were “not economically active”. I suspect that this is still the case. There is also the Del Trotter (from only Fools and Horses) definition of “self-unemployed”. IOSH is an approving body for OSHCR registration, yet penalises a person for being a registered consultant. This again raises the question but from a rather different perspective. I would welcome the views of other Forum users please. In the meantime I don’t think I will renew my registration.
JJ Prendergast  
#54 Posted : 06 July 2013 01:21:54(UTC)
JJ Prendergast

Not surprised to hear what you say. I was (am?) CMIOSH, but I concluded a few years ago that IOSH, when scrutinised actually do very little for members, in the very important area of helping with careers. For those who have fallen hard times, only very limited help with seeking a new position. IOSH, what is it for? The organisation certainly doesn't like criticism, so I expect this thread to be 'pulled'. Fair enough I guess, as I no longer pay membership fees
Heather Collins  
#55 Posted : 06 July 2013 10:43:21(UTC)
Heather Collins

edblanchard wrote:
Upon checking with IOSH they explained that the facility to indicate availability, via this Forum, was intended for unemployed members. Their rules are that a consultant has a business and therefore cannot be unemployed.
Seriously? Then whoever made that decision has clearly never been self-employed! I totally agree that a blatant advert for a specific consultancy is out of order, however anyone who has been a self-employed consultant knows full well that there are lean periods. I see nothing wrong with the "I'm a self-employed consultant looking for new clients" approach as long as it's done with some common sense. It's really not that different from the "I'm an unemployed safety professional looking for new opportunities" post when all is said and done. With regard to OSHCR, I have not previously been a supporter and had not renewed my registration first time round. I have now obtained some work on the condition that I WAS OSHCR and so have renewed it. I think individuals have to choose what works for them!
John M  
#56 Posted : 15 July 2013 09:38:29(UTC)
John M

Whoa! What 's going on here? Seems like one cannot have a negative view of the OSHCR. Jon
Moderator 2  
#57 Posted : 15 July 2013 09:45:31(UTC)
Moderator 2

The Moderation had nothing to do with OSHCR. It was another matter entirely.
Waz  
#58 Posted : 23 July 2013 12:38:38(UTC)
Waz

Simply just didnt review in 2013 - on two points: Got nothing in year 1; and Now working abroad! Simple - it isn't working and it appears to be a fee earning route for those running the system (HSE I believe) and it is those with the CMIOSH status and above that are paying?? Really??
David Bannister  
#59 Posted : 24 July 2013 10:56:12(UTC)
David Bannister

Ellam37704 wrote:
I suspected it was a solution trying to find a problem when it first started, Im getting more convinced it is.
I totally agree but having been listed from Day 1 during which I've had one enquiry (for the cheapest source of a safety policy) decided that it is useless and did not renew.
Leigh Thomas  
#60 Posted : 06 October 2014 13:30:12(UTC)
Leigh Thomas

Hi all, has anyone noticed that the search function on the website is completely broken? Tried searching for consultants in South Wales only, so I selected that check box but results were returning people from Hull, Kent and all over the place!!! Also it really ranks terribly on google, the visibility and weight it carries online is not good at all. Until it improves I doubt I'll be joining up.
Ian Bell  
#61 Posted : 06 October 2014 15:08:54(UTC)
Ian Bell

I think it would be fair to say that the OSHCR has failed. Its not worth registering on.
peter gotch  
#62 Posted : 06 October 2014 17:31:19(UTC)
peter gotch

We've had one major client specify OSHCR and some even more prescriptive requirements for certain packages of consultancy and training. That said prequalification stage has yet to translate to tender stage. But the level of fees that would be generated means that we'll take a few £60 per year hits for the now. Have had the odd enquiry but not from the sort of client in our business model.
ashley.willson  
#63 Posted : 09 October 2014 10:08:33(UTC)

Im finding this quite interesting to read... Just to play devils advocate for a bit: does anyone think that joining OHSCR generates good public perception of a company (i.e. putting logo's on letterheads, saying that you are registered etc)? Do any of you think that if you were up against anther consultant for a contract and you were on OHSCR but the other person wasn't, that the OHSCR may become a deciding factor (assuming that the person awarding the contract had no in depth knowledge of the OHSCR, but only what it was!)? Be interested to hear thoughts...
Leigh Thomas  
#64 Posted : 24 December 2014 13:35:41(UTC)
Leigh Thomas

Guest wrote:
Im finding this quite interesting to read... Just to play devils advocate for a bit: does anyone think that joining OHSCR generates good public perception of a company (i.e. putting logo's on letterheads, saying that you are registered etc)? Do any of you think that if you were up against anther consultant for a contract and you were on OHSCR but the other person wasn't, that the OHSCR may become a deciding factor (assuming that the person awarding the contract had no in depth knowledge of the OHSCR, but only what it was!)? Be interested to hear thoughts...
I would think so - if the choice was between two consultants and one was on the register it could become a swaying factor. You need to be chartered to get on the register so for that you need to have relevant qualifications and experience - if somebody knew this (i.e. the employer) it could make a difference. If you're talking about two identical candidates - but one happens to be on the register and the other one isn't - in that case I wouldn't like to say. It would be down to the individual doing the hiring that would make that call. Reading earlier posts I find it fascinating that some people are trying to argue their competency with absolutely no H&S qualifications. As an ex teacher / NEBOSH Examiner and NEBOSH Lead Tutor I would be VERY wary of somebody that didn't have any quals at all! Would any of us go to a dentist, teacher, lawyer, ... if we knew that person had no qualifications in their chosen field (despite the number of years experience they had)?
graemewaller1978  
#65 Posted : 01 January 2015 19:04:47(UTC)
graemewaller1978

I remember when the register was initially conceived and implemented and there was a real buzz about this. I had hoped that this was going to be a Gas Safe equaivalent register with proactive inspection of the quality of work of those on the register for them to maintain their registration to give prospective companies confidence that the individual they were engaging were competent to help them (the company) satisfy their duty under Regulation 7 of MHSW Regs '99. This, unfortunately, was not the case and I think that the HSE really missed a trick on this one but perhaps this is the time to make a change.
Machin15824  
#66 Posted : 09 April 2021 15:50:46(UTC)
Machin15824

It's been a few years on now since anyone posted an updated view on the OSHC Register.  Are members still feeling negative about it?  Is anyone aware of any proper academic scrutiny regarding how it is 'performing'?  

Roundtuit  
#67 Posted : 09 April 2021 20:44:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many years ago the OHSCR register dropped from the HSE home page and drifted off in to oblivion.

Let's be clear its not iosh membership that are sniffy, it is the fact the register failed to live up to the hype.

No potential clients were aware of its existence, so no one searched for a provider, so the word of mouth necessary to promote its use beyond those "in the know" failed to materialise.

Roundtuit  
#68 Posted : 09 April 2021 20:44:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many years ago the OHSCR register dropped from the HSE home page and drifted off in to oblivion.

Let's be clear its not iosh membership that are sniffy, it is the fact the register failed to live up to the hype.

No potential clients were aware of its existence, so no one searched for a provider, so the word of mouth necessary to promote its use beyond those "in the know" failed to materialise.

peter gotch  
#69 Posted : 11 April 2021 12:01:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Machin, there is talk of a revamp of OSHCR, but talk is talk.