Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
helen17  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2014 15:08:45(UTC)
helen17

Hi, We have a member of staff who has had an operation on her ankle and will be in plaster (below knee) for 6 weeks (non weight bearing). This person has a desk based job. They would like to return to work on slightly less hours than normal - as many hours as she can handle. She will be getting a lift into work each day. I have taken into consideration emergency evacuation, and advised her that her GP will have to sign her back as "fit to work" and recommended a risk assessment is completed. Is this enough? Would appreciate some advice here, we dont have a "policy" on staff working whilst on crutches. What do others think?
HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2014 15:42:08(UTC)
HSSnail

Helen I broke my ankle a couple of years ago. After it was pinned it was in pot as you describe and I had to be none weight bearing. I also had to keep my leg elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling. I was able to do some limited work from home taking very frequent breaks from the PC so I could elevate my leg. Only once the pot came off did I return to work on reduced hours and I still had to follow a programme of physio therapy exercises in the office. So I think its a little more complicated than saying "as many hours as they can handle" I would get the person to discuss this with their surgeon and get a little more advice about what they need to do during the none weight bearing period as its unlikely they will be able to sit down at a desk, while traveling etc without harming their recovery. Also would their be any problems during an emergency evacuation of the building. Hopping down stairs is not as easy as it may sound.
J Scott  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2014 10:20:03(UTC)
J Scott

I had a similar operation 2 years ago and do a desk job, I have also worked for an organisation where several staff members had a mobility impairment and needed crutches to get about. Fortunately I was able to work from home while my cast was on. Had I been able to get a lift into work (getting there by public transport was not an option) I think I would have been fine if I didn't have to go more than 50m on crutches - its very tiring. In my office I don't feel that getting out in an emergency would have been a problem; there is a difference in what you can/will do if your life depends on it to normal getting around eg going down stairs on your behind using your arms and good leg if neccessary. As with many things it comes down to risk assessment and reasonable adjustments. Perhaps an honest conversation with your staff member about what they are able to do and how they could deal with various scenarios is the starting point.
pl53  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2014 10:38:26(UTC)
pl53

It all depends on your individual circumtances. We recently had a member of staff who ruptured his achilles tendon playing football. Several weeks in full leg plaster and several more in a half plaster. He was keen to return to work asap so we initially agreed a regime where he would do some work from home and some office based work. While at work he was located in a ground floor office adjacent to a fire exit, fire wardens were informed of his presence and we ensured that he did not have to walk long distances for anything. His hours were adjuted so that he could arrive and leave at off-peak periods. We we lucky in that we were able to do all of these things but it still took a lot of organisation.