Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fernando  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2014 10:40:29(UTC)
fernando

Hi I've been happily chomping my way through the NVQ 5 Dip and hit the wall at Unit 504. (3.2) Present the rationale for proactive monitoring systems for health and safety (3.4) Explain sampling routines (3.7) Explain how to respond to the health and safety needs of others My NVQ provider is a joke in terms of support and I found out the hard way that it's the cash theyre interested in but hay ho! Any direction would be welcomed please, Thanks in advance, Fernando
simplesafety  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2014 11:32:03(UTC)
simplesafety

I Know how you feel, this is my 2 peneth: (3.2)I Present the rationale for proactive monitoring systems for health and safety I just described times that I promoted my proactive monitoring systems, such as during general training, during the actual monitoring itself, Toolbox Talks etc. then described how I did this and why its important (rather than just using reactive systems). (3.4) Explain sampling routines I described any sampling that I undertook - noise, site, HAVS, Air, random etc - anything with limits and exposure levels really. Legionella temperature testing, most of CoSHH. do you use contractors or do it yourself, how do you communicate results staff after the sampling? (3.7) Explain how to respond to the health and safety needs of others I described our lines of communication such as TBT, ROES, meetings, Committee and how i used these to respond to staff needs - any H&S complaints, issues raised etc this is a very specific answer to your company and what structure you have for responding to staff and HOW you respond Good luck - I found my NVQ a really long slog and almost lost motivation towards the end due to repetitive questions. I think some of the questions are so vague to ensure they can be applied to all industries sml-lrg.
fernando  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2014 12:05:59(UTC)
fernando

Thanks simplesafety You are right, I'm almost tipping the scales with progress but the duration is dragging on. Fernando
fernando  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2015 09:48:35(UTC)
fernando

NVQ 5 Dip complete now - Hooray! Looking at the open book then peer interview next. I was looking at the MSc but to be honest, I have not got enough to pursue CMIOSH so will most probably go down the MBA route. Thanks for all your help! James
jay  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2015 11:50:28(UTC)
jay

You may want to refer to : Annexe J, Measuring performance, from BS 18004:2008, Guide to achieving effective occupational health and safety performance . It includes proactive monitoring. Measuring performance in HSG 65 http://www.hse.gov.uk/ma...ng-performance.htm#types
linda xc  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2015 21:43:30(UTC)
linda xc

Hi Your training provder has to have an Assessor observe you with the "Risk Assessment" element. Schedule that observation and get ask them all your questions then. Are you with City & Guilds Awarding Organsiation? They insist on having at least this observation been done. Make sure you insist on it, otherwise your certificate could be revoked when your qualification is audited (EQA'd) on completion. regards Linda