Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rudolph Yartey  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2019 20:31:55(UTC)
Rudolph Yartey

hello,

I'm currently a masters student studying HSE Management. I want to find out if i still need a NEBOSH certificate after completing an IOSH accredited masters. Because I'll be a GradIOSH after completion.

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2019 09:29:55(UTC)
WatsonD

THe short answer to that is no. The Nebosh certificate is seen as a pathway into H&S and is really considered by IOSH and Nebosh themselves as the 'first rung' on the ladder. This currently leads to a technical membership status with IOSH which is a level/grade below graduate.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 05/11/2019(UTC)
jmaclaughlin  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2019 15:17:37(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

No you do not need a Nebosh cert, however it may be wothwhile looking at your proposed/chosen job sector, as some sectors see this as a minium requirement and will likely filter out any job applications that doese not have it, ironically this also applies to applications without Techiosh or better.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2019 11:24:43(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Rudolph,

Unless you have your own or someone else's time and money to burn I would stay clear of doing a NEBOSH Cert on top of your degree certificate. You could end up being better qualified than your tutor and easily bcome the know it all in the class.

Employers who are looking for someone with similar qualifications to your degree SHOULD understand that your Masters is a MUCH higher qualification than the NEBOSH Certificate.

However to keep the CV robots and the less well versed readers at bay, perhaps you should set out where your Masters sits on the Qualifications ladder and show that it is equivalent to a NEBOSH Diploma on that ladder and that it gets you to GradIOSH. That way the robot would see the screening keyword "NEBOSH" on your CV and be more likely to get it read by an actual person.

Good luck with your studies and job search.

Peter

Edited by user 10 November 2019 11:26:30(UTC)  | Reason: Added 3 words and quotation marks for clarification