Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dblakemore24@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2020 11:41:40(UTC)
dblakemore24@gmail.com

Hi IOSH members, 

I'm reasonably new to OSH having passed my NEBOSH general certificate last year. I currently work for a small prop & scenery making company and I've been tasked with handling all matters of health & safety - undertaking risk asessments & COSHH assessments and implimenting the controls with the guys in the workshop.

I'm also responsible for monitoring the training of all our staff - We currently use an external training company, but I would love to start delivering in-house training for some of the simpler qualifications - things such as manual handling, COSHH awareness, ladder safety, etc. This would help save costs for the company as well as helping me progress my career.

However, I have zero experience delivering training! Any recommenations of suitable training courses, or suitable advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm aiming to one day deliver IOSH approved courses, but part of the prerequiste of getting IOSH trainer status involves at least 2 years experience in delivering face-to-face training. I just want to make sure that any training I deliver, no matter how basic,  has a degree of legitimacy to it.  

Thanks in advance for any advice!

SBH  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2020 15:21:11(UTC)
SBH

Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) is NOW AET. (Award in Education and Training). .  This is a basic but good course.

However you also need to know the health and safety topics otherwise you may give the wrong info. There are some good courses out there for specific topics such as manual handling train the trainer etc

Training is not easy, it sometimes frightens people to have to stand up in front of people to talk and deliver training particularly if you dont really know your subject - theres always someone there to ask a tricky question so know your topic.

SBH

thanks 2 users thanked SBH for this useful post.
RayRapp on 09/03/2020(UTC), Kate on 11/03/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2020 13:40:14(UTC)
craigroberts76

I train weekly, but you do need to know your stuff, plan and prepare the slides, tasks etc yourself so its normal and keep going.

We provide a variety of e-learning courses and doing these helped me build up knowledge on certain aspects that I dont really get involved in myself such as legionella and LEV.