Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Foha  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2020 14:17:11(UTC)
Foha

Hi,

I have been looking into changing my career and studying for NEBOSH Diploma for a while but I have been scared to take the step. I studied petroleum engineering but soon realised I was not keen to work in the industry. I have now worked in various industries from pharma, reliability to non-technical roles however, I have a keen interest in HSE. To be honest, I can't afford to do a degree to change my career so I have been looking into the National diploma. 

I have experience in project management, risk assessment but no HSE experience and I was laid off due to Covid 19 so I don't know if I go for the diploma will I have a chance to start a career in it? I am wondering if there are opportunties in UK for someone with an engineering degree and a NEBOSH diploma.

Thank you.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2020 19:23:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Foha

First you haven't told us whether you are currently in the UK or elsewhere - this affects your options.

The answer to your main question is that yes, there should be opportunities for someone with an engineering degree (and the experience that your posting suggests) + a NEBOSH Diploma.

But there are other options to attain an equivalent qualification that you might wish to consider, particularly if you are currently not working. A Vocational Qualification or NCRQ each at Level 6, the same on the European Qualifications Framework as a NEBOSH Diploma, and thence a route to Graduate Membership of IOSH.

Depending on what you have accrued in terms of documentation from your work to date, you might be able to put together a portfolio for a VQ.

In contrast much of the NCRQ is more theoretical though you would be able to draw on your experience to date. Two Certificates followed by a third unit to achieve the Diploma. A case of reading some text books and doing some Assignments with support from a tutor - exams but with no set time limit and with access to reference materials such as the Health & Safety Executive website. Could be a much cheaper option than a NEBOSH Diploma.

Good luck, Peter

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Foha on 07/04/2020(UTC)
Foha  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2020 14:17:57(UTC)
Foha

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Hi Foha

First you haven't told us whether you are currently in the UK or elsewhere - this affects your options.

The answer to your main question is that yes, there should be opportunities for someone with an engineering degree (and the experience that your posting suggests) + a NEBOSH Diploma.

But there are other options to attain an equivalent qualification that you might wish to consider, particularly if you are currently not working. A Vocational Qualification or NCRQ each at Level 6, the same on the European Qualifications Framework as a NEBOSH Diploma, and thence a route to Graduate Membership of IOSH.

Depending on what you have accrued in terms of documentation from your work to date, you might be able to put together a portfolio for a VQ.

In contrast much of the NCRQ is more theoretical though you would be able to draw on your experience to date. Two Certificates followed by a third unit to achieve the Diploma. A case of reading some text books and doing some Assignments with support from a tutor - exams but with no set time limit and with access to reference materials such as the Health & Safety Executive website. Could be a much cheaper option than a NEBOSH Diploma.

Good luck, Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply! I currently live in Lincolnshire and plan to stay in UK at least for now, that's why I was thinking of National Diploma. 

Thank you for such a detailed answer I had no idea there was such an option. I will definitely look into it. :)