Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shaunallen  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2020 18:08:29(UTC)
shaunallen

Having worked in the construction and engineering world for just over 10 years, the last 6 of which as a health and safety professional, I’m interested in Production Safety Manager type roles in the TV and film industry. I’ve seen a few advertised in the past and naturally they look for experience in production. My question is if there’s anybody who’s moved into this industry as a health and safety professional, how did they get a foot in the door. Or any general advice or info that anybody can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Shaun
SBH  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2020 13:24:12(UTC)
SBH

Use this link and you will find plenty of info plus a contact page who you could get in touch with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety

Break a leg

SBH

thanks 1 user thanked SBH for this useful post.
mkfc on 22/04/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2020 16:51:12(UTC)
peter gotch

Shaun

This is one of those scenarios where the employer thinks they need someone with experience in the sector which closes the door to potentially excellent candidates.

So, do your research including at that BBC link and then consider what expertise you can offer as a newcomer to the sector. All those transferable skills, e.g. in relation to key issues such as work at height, working in remote locations and such like.

Then tailor your CV and application to emphasise what you would bring to the table. You might need to be cheeky and simply say that you are unconvinced by the need for previous experience in broadcasting. Fresh pair of eyes brings new thinking and such like.