Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
russman  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2020 10:03:24(UTC)
russman

Hi all,

I am looking to further my qualifications on a part time basis to bolster the Diploma that I have got already.

I hold an NVQ level 5 in Occupational Health & Safety and have achieved CMIOSH status. On top of that I have just under 30 years experience in my particular field.

I'm just looking for recommendations on what is a good qualification route to choose, if at all any.

Regards

Russ

RayRay01  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2020 10:33:47(UTC)
RayRay01

Hi there Russ

I hold a level 6 Dip in H&S and am in my second year of my bachelor`s degree with a major in H&S I guess its were you want to go in the feild ? Iv come from high risk oil and gas demolition so I have demo tickets and and the like, as well as Iv work alot with asbestos so I have those removal tickets too, Its best to understand what the boys do by doing it your self, hope that makes sence :)

Ray

IOSH - Dont see New Zealand dips as relavent therfore they class us as Techs (which is bull**it)   

Edited by user 29 June 2020 10:36:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

russman  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2020 13:01:42(UTC)
russman

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for taking the time for your post. 

I totally agree, I've spent almost 30 years workin at height using roped access and other means. I still find myself on site doing the job, which to be honest, is what I enjoy most. Understanding the job at a 'nuts and bolts' level certainly gives you a better standing with the other techs on site from a H&S point of view.

However, my company is proactive when it comes to training and we were deciding what the next is regarding courses/qualifications. 

I did have a look at the MSc but i am not sure if I want to take it that far now. Plus it will be a big outlay for my company in the UK. 

Good luck with yours

Russ

Marmstrong36  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2020 15:20:52(UTC)
Marmstrong36

Hi Russ, 

With that level of experience and CMIOSH already have you consider other supplementary courses such as in Leadership and Management Diplomas with ILM & CMI or environmental management with NEBOSH or IEMA?

With the looks of the new competency requirements for CMIOSH it may be worth CPD level courses in finance, people management, conflict management.  

I would say it all depends on what interests you and what you’d like to put your time to. I've recently done the NEBOSH Diploma, I don't think I’ll do another HS qualification again.  Considered the MSC route but that would be more ego than add anything to my current role and I’m not sure I could get myself geared up for another long HS course.

All the best in your futures studies. 

thanks 1 user thanked Marmstrong36 for this useful post.
russman on 06/07/2020(UTC)
aud  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2020 13:56:09(UTC)
aud

I'm going to add my favourite supplementary to the above list. Training and / or coaching skills.

There's the AET route for adult training, or various coaching routes. My experience is that general coaching courses are not that great for H&S application, being a bit too 'fluffy'. I got more from reading around the subject, practising the basics, and then doing the IOSH coaching course. Even a 'train the trainer' course will add something.

thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
russman on 06/07/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2020 16:03:11(UTC)
peter gotch

Russ

Thinking back over 40 years, the most instructive courses (not qualifications) I have done since completing a post graduate Diploma have been

1. Scaffolding appreciation - 2.5 days at CITB headquarters in Bircham Newton (followed immediately by 2.5 days on Cranes appreciation - useful but not quite as useful).

2. Time Management - One Friday in Edinburgh. Got my boss' boss talking on the Monday when he walked past my door which had a hand written notice stating "In CONTROL TIME, please do not disturb".

3. Presentation Skills - a weekend in Wakefield followed by a 2 hour one-to-one with the instructor back in Glasgow. Her message was "You have investigated all those accidents. Now what you need to do is give your audience 'stories, stories, stories'. They will remember the stories, and if they remember the stories, they are more likely to remember the underlying message illustrated by each story". (Or words to that effect). On almost all training presentations I have ever developed since, there has been a slide with the heading "Stories, stories, stories".

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
aud on 06/07/2020(UTC)
jimmyquinn68  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2020 17:40:11(UTC)
jimmyquinn68

Hi Russ are you looking for a specific H&S course mate or something different? I looked at a L6 Leadership and Management Course which was different as I was getting fed up with safety course after safety course.

Regards

Jimmy

thanks 1 user thanked jimmyquinn68 for this useful post.
aud on 06/07/2020(UTC)
Wailes900134  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2020 05:20:18(UTC)
Wailes900134

Hi Russ, I've never met a safety person who regretted doing a psychology course, at any level.