Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stonecold  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2020 06:53:26(UTC)
stonecold

Hi there...does anybody have any experience in the use of fogging equipment using HOCL (Hypochlorous Acid)?

Im trying to determine if the use of fogging equipment with HOCL requires the use of PPE. Ive read conflicting articles on the internet, some have said it can be used in occupied areas, others say not...

The chemical itself seems non hazardous from what I can gather, based on the SDS, but not sure if using it via fogging produces additonal risks?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. The question of whether fogging itself is effective is a question I will save for another day :)

MrBrightside  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2020 08:53:42(UTC)
MrBrightside

Hi Stoney,

What is fogging equipment used for in your buisness?

stonecold  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2020 09:14:13(UTC)
stonecold

office cleaning

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2020 18:48:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

check the ECHA web site - HCOL is NOT approved for application by "fogging" under the Biocidal Products Regulation. We are not the 51st state so anything the FDA decree is Not Applicable
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2020 18:48:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

check the ECHA web site - HCOL is NOT approved for application by "fogging" under the Biocidal Products Regulation. We are not the 51st state so anything the FDA decree is Not Applicable
stonecold  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2020 07:09:17(UTC)
stonecold

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Thanks, Wondering if you can link me to the relevant information regarding the ECHA website. Is there any where specific where it says that HCOL is not approved for fogging? Would help me out no end if I could find that. 

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2020 07:54:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://echa.europa.eu/

In the search for chemicals bar type "Hypochlorous Acid"

On the page that opens scroll down to BPR opinions and click the link - this opens the page of decisions

PT1 is human hygiene i.e. direct contact

PT2 is Disinfectants i.e. non-contact

These are the manners approved for use - neither includes fogging

The HSE identifies BPR approval in its web page on the subject of disinfection

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/disinfecting-premises-during-coronavirus-outbreak.htm

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 01/10/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 01/10/2020(UTC), HSSnail on 01/10/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 01/10/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2020 07:54:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://echa.europa.eu/

In the search for chemicals bar type "Hypochlorous Acid"

On the page that opens scroll down to BPR opinions and click the link - this opens the page of decisions

PT1 is human hygiene i.e. direct contact

PT2 is Disinfectants i.e. non-contact

These are the manners approved for use - neither includes fogging

The HSE identifies BPR approval in its web page on the subject of disinfection

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/disinfecting-premises-during-coronavirus-outbreak.htm

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
HSSnail on 01/10/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 01/10/2020(UTC), HSSnail on 01/10/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 01/10/2020(UTC)
stonecold  
#9 Posted : 01 October 2020 08:03:49(UTC)
stonecold

Thats great, appreciate your help.

Hsquared14  
#10 Posted : 02 October 2020 11:43:49(UTC)
Hsquared14

Be aware everyone I have received adverts on my Facebook page for HOCl foggers which are priced in £sterling so people will be seeing these ads.

stonecold  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2020 10:40:08(UTC)
stonecold

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Be aware everyone I have received adverts on my Facebook page for HOCl foggers which are priced in £sterling so people will be seeing these ads.

Hi,

Not sure how that could happen by simply reading the post? Maybe if you had googled HOCL foggers it prob would happen? Google/ facebook send out tons of adverts out based on internet browsing topics.

Hsquared14  
#12 Posted : 05 October 2020 14:06:52(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: stonecold Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Not sure how that could happen by simply reading the post? Maybe if you had googled HOCL foggers it prob would happen? Google/ facebook send out tons of adverts out based on internet browsing topics.

I haven't Googled HOCL foggers the same as I get a multitude of ads for stuff I have no interest in and have never googled but clearly there are people out there trying to push these things and unwary people might fall for it.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 05 October 2020 14:35:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Stand by for a surge in "disinfection tunnels" another item the HSE guidance points out to be absurd and useless:

This practice.....would not reduce an infected person’s ability to spread the virus through droplets or contact. Even if someone who is infected with COVID-19 goes through a disinfection tunnel or chamber, as soon as they start speaking, coughing or sneezing they can still spread the virus.

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 05 October 2020 14:35:05(UTC)
Roundtuit

Stand by for a surge in "disinfection tunnels" another item the HSE guidance points out to be absurd and useless:

This practice.....would not reduce an infected person’s ability to spread the virus through droplets or contact. Even if someone who is infected with COVID-19 goes through a disinfection tunnel or chamber, as soon as they start speaking, coughing or sneezing they can still spread the virus.

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:00:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54442464

Given the HSE stance what will they say about this poultry factories controls?

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:00:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54442464

Given the HSE stance what will they say about this poultry factories controls?

A Kurdziel  
#17 Posted : 07 October 2020 13:23:59(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In relation to the outbreak at the chicken factory

HSE us will probably say “I wish those people who do public health, would talk to us first!”

Public health would like to saturate everything in disinfectant

HSE just want to go back to doing proper H&S safety

The coppers just want nick someone for something

The army wants a campaign medal for the war on covid  and Boris just wants to be re-elected so that he will know people really love him.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 07/10/2020(UTC), nic168 on 08/10/2020(UTC)
chris.packham  
#18 Posted : 22 October 2020 06:04:35(UTC)
chris.packham

Have you read the HSE document on this.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/disinfecting-premises-during-coronavirus-outbreak.htm#avoid_harm

A Kurdziel  
#19 Posted : 22 October 2020 08:40:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What this guidance is getting at is the simple fact there is no “perfect disinfectant”. Perfect meaning one that will kill those microorganisms that you want rid of but will not harm any people in the area, damage the surfaces or equipment or harm the environment. In reality any disinfectant will have some side effects and when choosing the best disinfectant for your workplace you need balance the efficacy of the disinfectant against the risks mentioned. As well as looking at the chemical risks you should be thinking about how the disinfectant is being delivered. If it is being applied directly to a surface you, know where it’s going, and you know how much you have delivered.  With these fogging systems two thirds or three quarters of the disinfectant is being wasted since it ends up falling on areas that you will not be touching eg the floor. The manufacturers love this as   you end up buying more of their products. Facilities people love this as they can that one person has “done” a room in 10 minutes rather than 2 or 3 people taking 30 minutes to wipe down the same area.

chris.packham  
#20 Posted : 22 October 2020 11:21:38(UTC)
chris.packham

Just to add to AK's excellent post, disinfecting surfaces, rooms, etc. is one thing. Spraying a disinfectant mist at humans is, I suggest, something else and that was the main reason for my original posting.