Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
craigroberts76  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2020 14:53:58(UTC)
craigroberts76

I'm enrolled on a Masters in Risk assessment and crisis control starting in Feb and interested in finding out if anyone else has done it and what to expect.

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2020 09:26:38(UTC)
HSSnail

Craig

Where are you doing this course? that may help people get back to you. I did a quick online search and could not find such a course - plent of Risk and Crisis management courses - but these were about coporate risk - not realy H&S which is why you may not be getting any feed back.

craigroberts76  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2020 09:32:49(UTC)
craigroberts76

sorry, its via distance learning from Portsmouth Uni - https://studyonline.port.ac.uk/msc-risk-crisis-and-resilience-management

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2020 10:50:38(UTC)
HSSnail

So as i suspected not confined to H&S risk but overall coporate risk - while some here will get involved most of us are very H&S biased.

Having said that I completetd my Pgc in Occupational Health and Safety Management with Portsmouth - (was an MSc course but self funded so stopped after 1 year) so i can say good choice - i found the tutors very helpful and quick to respond. I think i was in the first group to do it.

Have just realised it was nearly 20 years ago - that makes me feel old!

Back then it was still paper based im sure its all online now - hope it goes well.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
craigroberts76 on 11/12/2020(UTC)
craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2020 11:26:40(UTC)
craigroberts76

thanks, I'm looking forward to it and have started my recommended reading already to get ahead of the game.  My background is IT and NHS related software, networks and backup / resilience, so I'm looking forward to using these skills as well as my H&S training.  I'm looking down the line at becoming a business risk consultant, where the whole business is looked at and recommendations made.  All depts can affect each other, so if finance isnt running smoothly, accounts not looked after, then this can affect the purchasing power of new PPE or equipment.  If the IT side fails and data is lost, then this could leave the company open to the HSE if they request evidence that has been lost.