Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paraandy  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2021 12:34:30(UTC)
Paraandy

Well I’ve my first interview tomorrow I’m suitable qualified with my NEBOSH Construction/General and my NCRQ Diploma with a few other CITB and train the trainer courses. I’m generally lacking experience in the day to day aspect, but I’m hoping 25 odd odd years working on busy construction sites will at least give me a fighting chance. First interview since the Army way back, so any tips on the interview would be helpful. Thanks Andy
aud  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2021 13:27:34(UTC)
aud

Hi ParaAndy. Hope it goes well. I am assuming this is in person, as zoom interviews bring a whole raft of other challenges!

Emphasise the case study content used by NCRQ and how that has taught you to approach any problem or situation. Also the trainer quals - emphasise the influencing, communicating, and coaching skills that hide in the 'training' heading.

Any past experience which you can make relevant, including your work on sites - in advance, think of stories or situations you can summon up if a question seems to merit. Many interviews ask the "how would you deal with?" questions, so just have in mind some good solid situations to cover most eventualities. Perhaps trickier are 'give examples of where you HAVE . . . ' and then some H&S specific task, such as 'investigated, audited, dealt with non-conformance, done a report, etc'. 

I think IOSH has interview tips somewhere - seem to recall but I'm beyond that now. Good luck - and get there in really good time, better to wait around than be late (but you know that . . .)

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2021 13:39:37(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Paraandy - good advice from Aud.

I assume you have researched the organisation interviewing you.

If not do so NOW! See if you can get any clues as to their approach including where they stand on occupational health as against safety issues.

If on the ball they should be giving at least much priority to OH risks as to safety, if not a lot more, but many are still stuck on enforcing the basics and may be more so if they are allied to Behavioural Safety programmes.

The "stories" that Aud refers to are really important. Much easier to get your point across if you can provide a story. Almost all the presentations I have given over a period of decsdes have included a slide entitled "Stories, Stories, Stories"!! - as a direct result of some one to one tuition from a presentation skills instructor.

Good luck, P

Gcadmin@205  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2021 10:45:38(UTC)
Gcadmin@205

If not do so NOW! See if you can get any clues as to their approach including where they stand on occupational health as against safety issues.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2021 11:17:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Looks like a practice post - Reported

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2021 11:17:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

knotty  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2021 12:56:16(UTC)
knotty

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

It's not a practice post - he is a genuine new member, and genuinely requested advice. He is part of other Safety Practitioner networks.

I hope it went well, paraandy

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 10 March 2021 13:02:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

the post immediately above mine, not the OP - thankyou 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
knotty on 10/03/2021(UTC), knotty on 10/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2021 13:02:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

the post immediately above mine, not the OP - thankyou 

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
knotty on 10/03/2021(UTC), knotty on 10/03/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2021 15:18:36(UTC)
peter gotch

I'm giving Gcadmin the benefit of the doubt and assuming that they might have hit the Post button before completing setting out their thought process!

Perhaps I should have added to my comments.

As a job hunter, sometimes you might not see eye to eye with the prevailing culture at the organisation who is interviewing you. Sometimes the interviewer(s) may recognise where they need to improve, sometimes not.

But part of the job satisfaction should often be about identifying what needs improving and coming up with pragmatic ideas as to how to progress, so being the catalyst for change.

So, if as example the organisation is not giving Occupational Health issues the priority that they should the person being interviewed has two choices:

1. Walk away - quite often not a sensible option if jobs are hard to secure. However, if the existing culture is one in which the solution is e.g. to dish out "yellow cards" when people are not using all their PPE, then the organisation will probably find someone quite happy to let this culture plod on.

2. Get the job, find one's feet and then start on an action plan, including how to persuade the decision makers to change course.

firesafety101  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2021 10:24:37(UTC)
firesafety101

"What is your greatest achievement" I was asked at one interview and I was not prepared for that so the first thing I could think was I closed the local Bingo Hall in Kirkby.  During a fire safety check with my fire crew the flashing light that alerted the staff to a potential fire failed to operate.  We evacuated all the people in attendance while the light was repaired.

I got the job ha ha