Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ferdinand A  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2021 13:14:56(UTC)
Ferdinand A

We are working as a Design and Build (DB) contractor inside a Brown field plant operated and maintained by another company (A). One of our workers was hit by a tricycle driven by the operator (comapany A), which resulted to minor abrasion (First Aid Case Incident).

Question - as the injured person is a DB worker, is the First Aid Case Incident shall be reflected in our KPI?

Thank you for your inputs on this matter. 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2021 09:07:44(UTC)
Kate

It's entirely up to you and to prevent disputes about what is and isn't included, it's a good idea to write down a definition of exactly what you will include.

Personally I would always include all work-related injuries to my organisation's own employees and I've never heard of anyone not doing so.  It is when it's someone else who is injured (for example, if the positions you describe were reversed and it was the operator's employee who was injured) that the debates tend to arise.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 29/03/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2021 14:19:16(UTC)
peter gotch

Ferdinand A

To add to Kate's comments, often the discussion might be about whether the DB Contractor should count the accidents to those in the supply chain, e.g. sub-contractors who employ workers and the self-employed.

Some Contractors want to know what is happening on their sites, whatever the employment status of those injured; others restrict their stats to those who are employed by them. Since they are at the top of the supply chain, they tend to have less people at the sharp end and, thence, excluding those injured at the sharp end may make their statistics look better whether you count in numbers or injury rates.

Excuses for not counting accidents have been around since people first started generating accident statistics.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
aud on 14/04/2021(UTC)
pardhonsi  
#4 Posted : 14 April 2021 16:57:32(UTC)
pardhonsi

Personally, I would always include all people - whether employee, contractor, sub contractor, visitor, public, trespasser. Remember, you have to look at whether you have a duty of care to someone (any category of person), and whether that duty of care was breached. Also to note - if there was a breach (which could be an injury, destruction of property etc) then it can't be too remote. Not only is there a criminal breach (parliament law) but there are also civil breaches (civil law). 
People can sue people, and it happens regularly. But people don't have money to be sued, so you can hold a company liable for damages. This is called vicarious liability. I would therefore log everything as every incident is a lesson whether you're at fault or not.  Always consider whether this happened on your premises or not, was the risk likely to happen. Could the consequence have been worse etc. it's always good practice to log it all because your good efforts could help someone in the future.