Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
F  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2021 18:47:03(UTC)
F

(Not been on any of these forums for years ( previously was daily) so apologies if this question is one that has been done to death but the Forums have lost so much of their former glory now I cant work my way around things here anymore) :- Previously in certain situations, someone with “only” a level III qualification should have been supervised by a CMIOSH- is this still the case - if so where does IOSH recommend it?
thanks 1 user thanked F for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 16/03/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2021 19:48:44(UTC)
peter gotch

F - I don't think there has ever been such a recommendation.

As a Chartered Practitioner I have my views as to when someone with a Level 3 qualification would need supervision by someone with a higher qualification and/or more experience, but it would depend on the situation and their experience.

I know people with "only" a Level 3 qualification who have managed perfectly well in relatively complex environments.

O

F  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2021 20:49:49(UTC)
F

Sorry to disagree Peter, but Im sure there was and it was on quite a prominent document- why else would you pay more for a more qualified safety professional. I assume IOSH hasnt kept a library of its documents/ policies from c. 20 years ago? (Ex super forum user)

Edited by user 15 March 2021 20:51:13(UTC)  | Reason: addition

Kate  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2021 08:14:52(UTC)
Kate

Why would you pay more for a more qualified person - well, because *you* thought you needed one not because IOSH said you did!  I think you are crediting IOSH with much more influence than it has.

I have never heard of such a document.  However you can find some outdated IOSH documents that are still lying around on the web, or you could use one of the free web archive services to look for it.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2021 08:27:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

I do recall someone trying to push the idea that if you were "only" at a certain level then it was an absolute to have a cmiosh "check your work" - there was quite a debate about how iosh did not hold monoply on matters of H&S either domestically or internationally and if that were the case how could iosh dictate what any employer should do? Think the OHSCR had just been announced.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 16/03/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 16/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2021 08:27:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

I do recall someone trying to push the idea that if you were "only" at a certain level then it was an absolute to have a cmiosh "check your work" - there was quite a debate about how iosh did not hold monoply on matters of H&S either domestically or internationally and if that were the case how could iosh dictate what any employer should do? Think the OHSCR had just been announced.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Dazzling Puddock on 16/03/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 16/03/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2021 11:04:44(UTC)
peter gotch

Roundtuit - I remember the debate (more than once!) but I don't remember it ever getting to the stage of IOSH being daft enough to make a specific recommendation, not least since it would have been liable to result in the defection of many non Chartered members.

As to OHSCR, well they say that they are trying to give it a rebirth. I was on the Register for a few years before deciding that there was no point in my employer continuing to fund my subscription. We had ONE invitation to tender from a large client who included it within their person specification. 

OHSCR did include a requirement for anyone not ticking their boxes (which were quite flexible) to be supervised by someone who was.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2021 16:06:12(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As someone said this was daft notion. I can vaguely remember this being debated years ago but fortunately nothing came of it. Being a CMIOSH does not make you the fount of all H&S knowledge. I can imagine situations where someone with a lower qualification but experience in particular area has better insights into their specific area than anyone with a CMIOSH or even a Fellowship.  

Furthermore it could be that the CMIOSH does not have the capability of managing themselves or anybody else out of paper bag. A supervisor needs management skills more than qualifications because they will know when to defer to the expert.   

HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2021 14:42:16(UTC)
HSSnail

Is this some kind of wind up?

Just in case its not - compitancy has never been about quailifications alone. One of my collegues has the level 3 quilification but i will defer to him in certain situations as he has far more experiance, than i with my level 6 and chartered. Never trust anyone who thinks they know everything.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 31/03/2021(UTC)