Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hardworkingdude  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2021 07:05:40(UTC)
hardworkingdude

Hi all, sorry if this question has been asked before, if someone has an injury, continues working and then goes off a day or two later, is this reportable? Also would it be seven days from the day the person went off or from the accident? This is definitely a work related accident, employee felt pain but was okay to stay in work, but then didn't turn up the next day. ... Also as a tag on to this question, is it seven days from the exact time of the accident? Thanks in advance
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2021 09:10:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

"not including the day of the accident"

Now which is it as reading your post there appear to be two scenarios:

- they had an accident and then missed their next scheduled attendance at work and continued to be absent for seven days or more - RIDDOR

- they had an accident worked the next one or two scheduled attendances and then went absent - NOT RIDDOR causal chain broken

You are not counting to the hour i.e. 7 x 24 hours - no one should be working a complete 24 hours in a single day

Edited by user 19 March 2021 09:15:36(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2021 09:10:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

"not including the day of the accident"

Now which is it as reading your post there appear to be two scenarios:

- they had an accident and then missed their next scheduled attendance at work and continued to be absent for seven days or more - RIDDOR

- they had an accident worked the next one or two scheduled attendances and then went absent - NOT RIDDOR causal chain broken

You are not counting to the hour i.e. 7 x 24 hours - no one should be working a complete 24 hours in a single day

Edited by user 19 March 2021 09:15:36(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2021 09:20:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: hardworkingdude Go to Quoted Post
This is definitely a work related accident, employee felt pain but was okay to stay in work, but then didn't turn up the next day.  

From the HSE RIDDOR definitions : -

Injuries themselves, eg 'feeling a sharp twinge', are not accidents. There must be an identifiable external event that causes the injury, eg a falling object striking someone. Cumulative exposures to hazards, which eventually cause injury (eg repetitive lifting), are not classed as 'accidents' under RIDDOR.

Feeling pain is not an accident unless there is a indentifible external event that caused that pain. I am not saying there wasn't, I am just highlighting it since you never mention the event in your original post.

Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2021 12:15:56(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: hardworkingdude Go to Quoted Post
This is definitely a work related accident, employee felt pain but was okay to stay in work, but then didn't turn up the next day.  

From the HSE RIDDOR definitions : -

Injuries themselves, eg 'feeling a sharp twinge', are not accidents. There must be an identifiable external event that causes the injury, eg a falling object striking someone. Cumulative exposures to hazards, which eventually cause injury (eg repetitive lifting), are not classed as 'accidents' under RIDDOR.

Feeling pain is not an accident unless there is a indentifible external event that caused that pain. I am not saying there wasn't, I am just highlighting it since you never mention the event in your original post.

That quote has saved me posting a question. I had a client they were onsite. Plumber by trade, was knelt on floor looking at fitting a saniflo device in a cupboard. Saniflo was in position and he was just looking at possible routes for the pipework.

Anyway, while he was knelt down he felt extreme pain in his knee. Went to A&E and it was his cruciate ligament in his knee. He was overdue surgery but due to COVID it was postponed. Anyway he's now a bit further up the list for surgery.

I said it was a an over 7 day injury as he'll be off for just over 2 months now. Main contractors H&S bloke has deemed it a RIDDOR event and is reporting it as such.

Am I right in my thought process? When the pain started he was just knelt down, looking so no physical work involved. Therefore not RIDDOR?

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2021 13:17:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
He was overdue surgery but due to COVID it was postponed.

A pre-existing medical condition aggrevated by continuing to work - can't seem to find that in the list for reporting.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 07/04/2021(UTC), Mark-W on 12/04/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 07/04/2021(UTC), Mark-W on 12/04/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2021 13:17:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post
He was overdue surgery but due to COVID it was postponed.

A pre-existing medical condition aggrevated by continuing to work - can't seem to find that in the list for reporting.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 07/04/2021(UTC), Mark-W on 12/04/2021(UTC), CptBeaky on 07/04/2021(UTC), Mark-W on 12/04/2021(UTC)