Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roundtuit  
#41 Posted : 17 August 2016 23:34:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry - didn't realise a policy needed chapter & verse for the instruction of idiots. The point I was attempting to clarify given the comment "chose" was if the use of a bicycle was approved, considered and sanctioned by the employer in line with any company documentation - not the minutiae of open mouth, inhale (actually finding this hard to describe) when ribs stop moving upwards and chest starts to hurt exhale (do opposite of inhale)...repeat for rest of natural life
Roundtuit  
#42 Posted : 17 August 2016 23:34:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry - didn't realise a policy needed chapter & verse for the instruction of idiots. The point I was attempting to clarify given the comment "chose" was if the use of a bicycle was approved, considered and sanctioned by the employer in line with any company documentation - not the minutiae of open mouth, inhale (actually finding this hard to describe) when ribs stop moving upwards and chest starts to hurt exhale (do opposite of inhale)...repeat for rest of natural life
Invictus  
#43 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:13:48(UTC)
Invictus

Roundtuit wrote:
Isn't breathing just like riding a bike.
chris42  
#44 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:20:30(UTC)
chris42

I think you should ban people carrying their bikes. Harley Davidson's are quite heavy and so they should have some proper lifting equipment! Where does the OP say push bike? :0)
RayRapp  
#45 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:36:51(UTC)
RayRapp

walker wrote:
Invictus wrote:
walker wrote:
Many will remember the recent Kennedy v Cordia ice slip case One of the judges said: “In relation to some matters, care for health and safety is best left in the hands of the individual adult concerned. The relationship of employer and employee is not to be treated as being the equivalent to that of nursery teacher and pupil, or that of parent and child…”
But the individual won.
Yeah I know, but its still a nice quote. Had the case gone the other way it might have knocked all this stupidity on the head...hey ho!
Perhaps a more significant case of 'common sense' was HSE v Porter, where a headmaster was prosecuted following a pupil falling down a set of steps in the playground and sustaining a head injury. Sadly while in hospital the boy contracted MRSA and died. The Court at first instance found the headmaster guilty of a breach of s3. The HoL overturned the original judgment where the Court ruled that, in order to bring a successful prosecution, the Prosecution must show that there was an exposure to 'real risk', as opposed to mere fanciful or hypothetical risks. The Judge commented "which any reasonable person would appreciate and take steps to guard against". In other words, it must be an "appreciable risk". This is relevant to what the Defence will have to prove to show that reasonably practicable steps have been taken in cases where the risk was very remote; namely where the actions of the person affected were themselves not foreseeable. The House of Lords decision seems to confirm that the concept of foreseeability is an essential part of the offence.
Invictus  
#46 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:49:03(UTC)
Invictus

I find it dispicable that there are safety professionals out there are treating this real serious subject so lighthearted. No wonder some of us will not respond or put any new posts on. I think the company should be held responsible.
RayRapp  
#47 Posted : 18 August 2016 10:43:12(UTC)
RayRapp

Invictus wrote:
I find it dispicable that there are safety professionals out there are treating this real serious subject so lighthearted. No wonder some of us will not respond or put any new posts on. I think the company should be held responsible.
Lighten up, it's a discussion, not a matter of life and death.
Invictus  
#48 Posted : 18 August 2016 10:59:17(UTC)
Invictus

Lighten up, not a matter of life and death see wrong, it could be if they fell down the stairs with that bike. Don't safety people get it, just because they can walk up and down stairs outside, doesn't mean they can once employed apparently they now need training, using a kettle, microwave, getting in a shower and the floor maybe wet all totally different once in work, walking in snow and ice you can do it on the footpaths outside work but once in work we can't because it is no longer our responsiblity to stay on are own feet, its the employers, same with the others tasks use a kettle at home and scald yourself quickly run it under the cold water swear a bit and then carryon, do it at work run it under cold water swear a bit, go off sick for a while and then claim because no one trained you or told you that once boiled it its hot.
chris42  
#49 Posted : 18 August 2016 11:12:18(UTC)
chris42

Donoghue v Stevenson - dam that snail, its all his fault!
Mishalk9  
#50 Posted : 17 April 2021 07:44:35(UTC)
Mishalk9

Originally Posted by: AM1 Go to Quoted Post
An employee chose to use their dirt bike to travel into the city to go to a meeting. They injured themselves carrying their bike up some stairs. Within scope of risk assessment or not? I think it may be a step too far

I fell on some black ice while riding and completely separated the head of my femur (hip) from the rest of my femur, causing my femur to spiral fracture all the way down to my knee. I now walk weird and can't ride a bike without being in excruciating pain for days. I had decent benefits at the time, but it ran out quickly, and I haven't been able to return to physical therapy or see an orthopedist since. I just obtained new insurance and am planning to resume normal operations. It's the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Alan Haynes  
#51 Posted : 17 April 2021 08:05:28(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Reported - crafty advert for dirt bikes. Neatly done.
thanks 3 users thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 17/04/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 17/04/2021(UTC), George_Young on 27/04/2021(UTC)
aud  
#52 Posted : 26 April 2021 19:47:20(UTC)
aud

On the original Q on 'risk assessment'

HSE FAQs on risk assessment: "By law, every employer must conduct risk assessments on the work their employees do".  Classic HSE fudge.

But it used to be:

RR151 - Good practice and pitfalls in risk assessment - HSE

"It is not necessary to take account of risks that are trivial, or arising from routine activities associated with life in general, unless the work activity compounds the risks or there is evidence of significant relevance to the particular work activity."

The travel mode in this case was incidental to the work. Why would you even want to try assessing risk?

Interesting that any discussion involving bikes or cycling produces a massive thread - in this case now 50 responses. Doesnt seem to matter if it's cycling on road, paths, or carrying up stairs. Always kicks off.

Roundtuit  
#53 Posted : 26 April 2021 20:49:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Last recorded visit by AM1 was April 2020 - 12 months ago
Roundtuit  
#54 Posted : 26 April 2021 20:49:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Last recorded visit by AM1 was April 2020 - 12 months ago
helmet  
#55 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:36:03(UTC)
helmet

The bike accessories have been quite effective in ensuring that the users are safe from accidents.

Roundtuit  
#56 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:45:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

REPORTED

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/06/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 07/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 07/06/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 07/06/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#57 Posted : 07 June 2022 09:45:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

REPORTED

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 07/06/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 07/06/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 07/06/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 07/06/2022(UTC)