Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AllanCGuy  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2021 14:01:08(UTC)
AllanCGuy

Does anyone know why the HSE Fatigue Risk index calculator links have been removed from the HSE web site? 

I do have a copy that is not the issue.  I am trying to find out whether there is a wider issue with its applicablity, usefulness etc.. 

For background on a very basic level the current Rail standards and the upcoming new ones require work patterns/rostas to have been fed into the FRI calculator and acheive below a certain level for day and another for night. If the calulator is no longer available I wonder where this leaves this requirement. 

TIA

Allan

thanks 1 user thanked AllanCGuy for this useful post.
Kate on 23/04/2021(UTC)
HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2021 14:13:27(UTC)
HSSnail

Not one i have ever used, but sadly the HSE seem to be putting more and more of these out to private companies to mainatain who then charge.

Stress tool went a while ago - then i attended a webnare a few weeks ago about the new online MAC tool which turned out to be a sales pitch!

Kate  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2021 14:23:28(UTC)
Kate

I'm in the same position of needing to use the calculator as a rail requirement and fortunately having downloaded it.

Are you certain it's missing?

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2021 15:15:50(UTC)
stevedm

Just googled fatigue index caculator  xls...still shows version 2.3...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr446cal.xls

AllanCGuy  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2021 16:02:40(UTC)
AllanCGuy

As I said I can still get hold of the FRI tool , direct download , links from the NR documents etc. but was interested why the HSE has removed the links  to the excel from the web site. 

It may just be a web site issue but Am i missing something? 

stevedm  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2021 10:07:31(UTC)
stevedm

...sorry yes from my searching too it isn't obvious and only the research report is indexed directly...could just be admin that has dropped it off as an unindexed link...not suere there is anything untoward...maybe just human error

Kate  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2021 11:04:30(UTC)
Kate

It's always been like that at least as far as I can remember.  I got my copy of the calculator through the research report.  I didn't find it by an obvious link.   And I downloaded it in 2019. 

stevedm  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2021 15:11:19(UTC)
stevedm

got it ...it was changed on 12 July 2019 the link to the excel sheet was on the main page prior to that...I would send a screenshot but I can't...used wayback machine to find the link...so don't know the why yet...but the only security update was the use of VBA macros in Excel so perhaps it is based on that?  dunno.. :)

AllanCGuy  
#9 Posted : 14 May 2021 08:28:55(UTC)
AllanCGuy

The HSE have posted an update 

Update on the Fatigue Risk Index (FRI) June 2021

The Fatigue Risk Index has been withdrawn from the HSE website. The reasons for this are:

• the software platform, on which it runs is an older version of Excel that can no longer be supported and maintained on the HSE website.
  • the design of the FRI requires improvement to promote better understanding of its outputs, its limitations, and its role in a Fatigue Risk Management System.
  • In its current format, there have been cases of the FRI being misused in order to justify work patterns that clearly require further action to reduce fatigue-related risk.

FRI users who have access to the FRI in its current format can continue to use it provided you have the necessary expertise to use the tool and understand the outputs and limitations.

Not sure where this leaves the new current and new Network rail standards which mandate it ? 

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2021 09:18:17(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: AllanCGuy Go to Quoted Post

Not sure where this leaves the new current and new Network rail standards which mandate it ? 

Sadly sounds like its going to become another pay to use tool to me - like the Stress Management and the Recent online MAC tools

Kate  
#11 Posted : 14 May 2021 10:24:26(UTC)
Kate

I don't see this on the HSE website - is there a link to it there?  Or is this from a bulletin?

RVThompson  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2021 10:53:30(UTC)
RVThompson

https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr446.htm

thanks 1 user thanked RVThompson for this useful post.
Kate on 17/05/2021(UTC)