Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pchis  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2021 20:04:01(UTC)
pchis

This is aimed at the Sports Ground and Events Group.

My football club's ground is just over ten years old, it is typical of modern budget stadiums and my pet dislike are the stairwats in the stands, the treads are narrow and there are no hand supports.  I have seen several tumble on the stairs.

My club has announced a scheme where they will use the funds built up over the past year donated by fans to improve the ground.  Can any one tell me of adaptions that could easily be made to existing stairways to oofer support like handrails.  I have heard htta T bars are available that fit into the dexion type seat frames. 

Can anyone help?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2021 08:55:03(UTC)
peter gotch

I think the probability of getting an informed answer on this Forum is slim [though I would not be particularly surprised to be incorrect!]

Suggest you contact the Group you refer to directly.

There is a contact button at

Sports Grounds and Events Group | IOSH

pchis  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2021 21:20:34(UTC)
pchis

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

I think the probability of getting an informed answer on this Forum is slim [though I would not be particularly surprised to be incorrect!]

Suggest you contact the Group you refer to directly.

There is a contact button at

Sports Grounds and Events Group | IOSH

Thanks for your suggestion Peter. It was IOSH that suggested trying this forum first, I will try the group now.

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2021 07:00:28(UTC)
HSSnail

Dont know if it helps - the club I watch is a professional team (although you might not belive that watching them this year) - our hand rails go down the middle of the steps, with frequent breaks - obviously this depends on the width of the isle between the steps as you dont want to restrict fire escape - something we are very keen on.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2021 07:31:33(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: pchis Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for your suggestion Peter. It was IOSH that suggested trying this forum first, I will try the group now.

Absolutely Priceless!

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
RVThompson on 14/05/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 14/05/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 03/06/2021(UTC)
Oxford  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2021 14:05:18(UTC)
Oxford

A little bit off topic, but there was a recent TV programme about the design of escape staircases from sports stadia, and apparently the staircases used at Tottenham's new ground, are based on (and adapted from) the design of those in the oroginal Colloseum in Rome

Edited by user 14 May 2021 15:04:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2021 14:24:22(UTC)
peter gotch

Chris - good that IOSH recognise that there are Members and non-Members who add a huge range of understanding of health and safety topics in muliple sectors, even if I thought that for this particular Q may be this was not the most likely place to find answers.

mikeh  
#8 Posted : 02 June 2021 12:17:52(UTC)
mikeh

The 'go to' guide is the green book - safety at sports grounds... https://sgsa.org.uk/greenguide/ which gives detailed guidance on barriers and handrails in one of the chapters

I would refer to this guide when looking at temporary grandstand seating as well as IStructE Temporary Demountable Structures guidance.

I would check that your improvement plans meet conditions for any safety certificate that might apply to the stadium

HTH. Best. Mike

thanks 2 users thanked mikeh for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/06/2021(UTC), Dazzling Puddock on 03/06/2021(UTC)
Zyggy  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2021 14:10:21(UTC)
Zyggy

Your Local Authority will have a Safety Advisory Group (SAG) which has all branches of the emergency services as part of this Group. It may be worth your while contacting them for advice as each stadium has its own "peculiarities" depending on a number of factors. I am employed on match days as Deputy Head Safety Steward at a very large Premiership Club & incidents of fans falling down staircases are, thankfully, quite rare & we seem to get more complaints of vertigo from fans in the higher tiers! Good luck with your endeavours!

Edited by user 07 June 2021 14:15:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rs10  
#10 Posted : 07 June 2021 15:54:21(UTC)
rs10

It will depend on the Stadium design and whether the 'rake' of the stairs can accomodate it without restricting stair movements / passing space.

I have seen small adaptions utilising metal handrails (U-shape design) and also glass balastrades - but this is dependent on the archictectual design and costs and if it would be an reasonable adjustment and/or if evacuation/invacuation would not be compromised. 

If your football club has a DLO/Accessibility Officer it may be worth making contact or even Level Playing Field https://www.levelplayingfield.org.uk/.

Some useful documents from the SGSA may also assist, including : https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Accessible-Stadia.pdf

Also, as Zyggy suggested the local SAG will be of assistance (especially if it is a regulated Stand) and they can advise if the Stand can have this type of design.

Andrew Bober  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2021 08:01:26(UTC)
Andrew Bober

I'm sure you are, but you should be referring to https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-c...pplementary-Guidance.pdf - the cover is of our No.3 Court at the AELTC.

As was earlier mentioned, you should be speaking directly to your SAG about what improvement should you be looking at, as they should give you a steer.

B